PDA

View Full Version : Insect inside my computer screen!?

750XL
19th Aug 2012, 21:41
Hi all,

Firstly, no I haven't taking anything and I don't think I'm losing the plot :eek:

I have absolutely no idea how, but there appears to be a small (length of 1-2mm) insect INSIDE my LCD computer screen! It moves around very 'insect like' but can't be flicked off etc, it's definitely "in" the screen!

Bug - YouTube

Anybody know how the hell that happens!? The little bugger is happily crawling around the inside of my screen

Tableview
19th Aug 2012, 21:47
Just save this as a screensaver. Should do the trick.

http://www.orangescs.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/4/4402_23.jpg

ShyTorque
19th Aug 2012, 22:34
Looks like a "thunder bug". They come every year when the corn is cut. I've had them in my stereo, behind picture glass, under the glass on my table top, etc etc.

Tim_CPL
19th Aug 2012, 23:35
Yep, thunder bug. I had a notebook a few years back that managed to get 3 of them between the glass layers. Never did manage to get them out. I think you are SOL.

Milo Minderbinder
20th Aug 2012, 00:31
If you've ever taken an LCD screen apart you'll know how hard it is for anything to get between the plastic sheets which make up the layers of the screen. The metal edge sealing strips are very very tight. I'm amazed an insect can get in there - or would want to. The stink of the liquid crystal polymers is quite distinctive and unpleasant - you can tell how good the seal is as you can't normally smell it on a sealed screen
One things for sure - unless its an old screen with a perspex or glass separate protective coating in front of the "real" LCD screen you've not a hope of getting them out and then putting the plastic LCD layers back together again.

david1300
20th Aug 2012, 01:39
Have you tried debugging your system? ;)

But maybe, just maybe, your screen is really buggered :uhoh:

probes
20th Aug 2012, 06:12
We were told LCD screens can be used as bullet-proof protection in case a maniac chooses your building for a shooting-spree, not a word about their vulnerability by bugs :sad:.
Btw, (after translating long hours) I once tried to chase off a bug on the screen with the cursor. Didn't work either.

Milo Minderbinder
20th Aug 2012, 08:08
"LCD screens can be used as bullet-proof protection"

someone was telling you fibs there....

750XL
20th Aug 2012, 11:15
Thanks for all the replies :}

Bertie the bug must be asleep at the moment as I can't find him on my screen, maybe he's taking a rest in the bottom corner...

vulcanised
20th Aug 2012, 11:33
Sounds like the 'screensaver'/joke that was doing the rounds years ago where dozens of the 'buggers' roamed round the screen.