PDA

View Full Version : any news on astraeus recruitment?

taba
5th Apr 2002, 19:53
After several emails back and forth I have heard nowt!

Anyone have any joy?

Any info would be appreciated...cheers!;)

FloatJockey
6th Apr 2002, 01:58
I applied as well. They sent me an e-mail saying I would receive a password to access a system where I could check the situation of my application... but I never got it!

They say on the website they'll start flying around October so I believe it's a bit too early to expect anything, however an update from the company re future plans/recruitment would be nice!

Oh well... :rolleyes:

Mrs. FloatJockey

CrashDive
6th Apr 2002, 06:31
Well, I'll gladly answer what's been going w.r.t. applications.

When I put the web site together, it was done with a very lose brief to quickly get Astraeus some presence on the web, backed-up with an idea that we needed to keep the paperwork down, and to try and ensure that our staff are able to use a computer browser and email ( which they’ll need to be able to do – because that’s how we’re going to run a lot of things at Astraeus – we’re trying very hard to be paperless ).

However, and as per the best laid plans of mice and men, I had some problems completing the coding for the feedback form – this was due to an issue with handling the web-login inter-form security.

So the dilemma is / WAS that I either devoted my limited resources to attempting to get the ‘feedback’ functionality working (nice for you lot, but it would not move the airline forwards in terms of getting the AOC & OL ), or instead devote the time to the following:

Helping to put the business plan together.
Procurement and implementation of our Geneva Ops/Rostering/Crewing system – need for the AOC issue.
Procurement and installation of the office PC’s – need to allow people to get on with their jobs, against a very short timescale.
Procurement and installation of networks ( Wireless LAN + standard RJ45 cabling, ADSL routers, and hubs ) – needed to ‘glue’ the whole thing together.
Procurement and installation of network printers – the CAA wanted paper manuals ( though we’d have rather given them PDF electronic documents on CD’s )
Development of an electronic system to record Pilot & CabinCrew check forms – need for the AOC issue.
Development of a revenue / yield management system – needed by both the Commercial & Accounts departments.
Supporting the rapidly growing office staff numbers.
Filling in paperwork for the Venture Capitalists (AMJ) w.r.t. IT/Systems positioning within Astraeus.

This is not an exhaustive list, and I could go on......

To say nothing of various other ancillary tasks such as hiring and driving trucks to collect the office furniture, as well as shifting said furniture (my back still aches) into our HQ.

You're probably not aware that thus far all of the IT / Systems stuff has been done by one person, ME, and that three months ago I’d never used MySQL (which powers the recruitment database), or written a line of PHP code (which acts as the intermediary software between the database and the web server), or developed a MacroMedia enabled web site (or indeed any web site come to that).
Also, and just to add to the pressure, all of the above has had to be achieved on a shoe-string budget, because our VC (AMJ) could not provide the money until we got our AOC & OL (which happened yesterday) – so very much a chicken and egg position to be in.

Thus, in spite of working massive hours (e.g. 16 hours a day) for the last 3.5 months without a single break, there’s only so much that one can do; and so there you have it.

That said, the pressures of the start-up are now behind us and I should now be able to complete a lot of things which I really want done - one of them being the on-line feedback feature, and to that end I’ve since managed to develop the required level of security need for the feedback system; I just haven’t managed to find the time to put it into place. But I’m working on it.

Similarly, I would hope that my colleagues - who have all been working under the same level of pressure in their own areas – will now find the time to respond to the all the ( several thousand ! ) applications.

Ps. FloatJockey w.r.t. start flying around October - our first aircraft (AEU801/802 LGW-AGP-LGW) is in the air as I type - so I'm not sure what you mean by October ?!

Sick Squid
6th Apr 2002, 10:17
Yep, mammoth task, Crashy! Well done indeed, hope you can have a wee bit of a rest, now... oh, and there's that flying lark to attend to at some point too, don't forget!

Nothing like a reply straight from the Horse's mouth is there? One of the benefits of PPRuNe...

Ł6 aka Bad Cop

FloatJockey
6th Apr 2002, 13:16
Hey CrashDive!

By the sound of things, you're kind of busy over there!
Sorry for the "October" thing... I obviously got a bit confused...
What can I say? If you need a P.A., I'd love to give a hand! :) I'm not a computer nerd but I'm a pretty good typist with EU passport! :D

Good luck and see you soon in sunny England (or Geneva?)!

Mrs. FloatJockey
-------------------------------------------------------
([email protected])

password
7th Apr 2002, 00:11
Sounds good to me

taba
7th Apr 2002, 11:10
Well done Hugh and the gang...also thanks for that reply! I will wait patiently for news! Like floaty, I am prepared to offer any assistance should you require it!? Good luck!

Oh,floaty...check in to reporting points and i think you'll find an indepth progress report and Astraeus!:p