PDA

View Full Version : BA Capt LHR-DUS BA9040 weds 15th

ceeb
18th Aug 2012, 19:34
Took a short flight to DUS on Weds and was really impressed by the Captain and his professionalism. First I saw him coming down the air bridge with a pushchair for a passenger. Once we were all on board he took the PA and stood at the front of the cabin and explained why the flight was delayed and offered his apologies.

Kept us informed of the delays due to ATC inbound to DUS, and when we disembarked there he was standing at the flight deck door with his pilots cap on thanking each and every passenger for flying with BA.

Old school and very impressive. Well done.

Bealzebub
19th Aug 2012, 02:03
It is good that he had the time to do these things and that in turn they made your flight a better experience for you. However on most short haul flights with restricted turnaround requirements, obtaining pushchairs etc, is a job that devolves to the appropriate ground agents. Similarly, both pilots have professional responsibilities that involve checking and cross checking what is happening on the flightdeck.

I would suggest that "professionalism" and "old school" is about an effective management of the aircraft and crew so that each individual is allowed to carry out their own areas of responsibility in a safe, effective and expeditious manner. The fact that you don't see the Captain doing these type of things is testament to that fact.

It is quite conceivable that on your flight due to the delays etc. The Captain was able to carry out the tasks you observed in addition to his normal duties and responsibilities, without any adverse impact on anything else. However there is nothing "professional" or "old school" about this that might suggest almost every other pilot lacked such attributes in some way.

Hotel Tango
19th Aug 2012, 09:38
I think you will find that BA (and other legacy carrier) crews generally enjoy slightly more relaxed turnaround times than those of Ryan, Easy and the likes, with their 25/30 min turnarounds.

LondonPax
20th Aug 2012, 10:36
I was on a BA flight LHR to IAD a while ago. The flight was delayed a couple of hours by fog and the Captain walked around the cabin (Club World cabin, anyway ...) apologising, explaining the reason for the delay, and why they had had pax board now despite the known delay (quicker getaway once we got a slot), etc. As a customer I found that a positive experience. I realise they don't always have the time to do that.