PDA

View Full Version : Ppl navigation exam

guyleedsutd
18th Aug 2012, 18:15
Sat exam 1 last weekend and failed any tips or info for exam 2 greatly appreciated

seymoreskye
18th Aug 2012, 18:17
What did you find most tricky? About to take mine this week

Whopity
18th Aug 2012, 21:16
Did you not get a debrief from the examiner pointing out where you had gone wrong?

Jude098
19th Aug 2012, 08:31
You only get a debrief if you've failed by a little bit, cannot remember exactly by how little. More than than the examiner is not allowed to tell you anything.

Join airquiz.com and run through their nav stuff anda do the Confuser too.
Does your school have any nav mock tests?

Genghis the Engineer
19th Aug 2012, 08:44
Surely, you should get a debrief even if you passed.

Regardless, whilst question banks have value, it's important to know the material. There aren't really 'tricks'. With nav it's basically practice.

G

Winhern
19th Aug 2012, 09:03
From recollection the nav exam is split into 2 sections - the 'plot a route and ask questions', and the electronic nav aids. It would be useful to determine whether you particularly failed on or the other or both sections.

If you are having problems correctly plotting routes and wind offsets then there are various online products (e.g. SkyDemon) that could be used to cross-check random routes that you create for practice.

24Carrot
19th Aug 2012, 09:49
Standards Doc 11
Standards Document 11: JAR-FCL Provision and Conduct of Ground Examinations for the Private Pilot Licence Aeroplanes & Helicopters (including Registration of the Training Facility & Authorisation of Examiners) | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1203)
says (for both pass and fail):
The GR should indicate areas where weakness has been found, but should not discuss answers to specific qurestions.

Which is new, I think, and certainly better.

IIRC, previously if you passed with only one question wrong, i.e. theroretically you knew all you needed to except for one single weakness, they weren't allowed to tell you what it was!:ugh:

Another practical exam tip is that (from memory) the easier questions are at the end, you may want to do them first because it is easy to run out of time doing nav.

Whopity
19th Aug 2012, 10:03
More than than the examiner is not allowed to tell you anything.Standards Doc 11: The Examiner should indicate areas where weakness has been found. He is also required to enter the reasons for failure on Form 252 and give a copy to the candidate.

No change in the last 20 years.

Slopey
19th Aug 2012, 11:29
The Nav exam is markedly easier to do once you've started doing cross-countries and have experience of planning routes and completing plogs. Makes much more sense after you've done it in the real world.

If you're coming to it just off the books alone, you might find it a bit trickier to get your head around.

A be very careful with accuracy - thin lines on the chart, and work out your plog correctly, especially with the winds side of the whizz wheel.

Usually, once of the answers will be if you've calculated a reciprocal wrongly, added rather than subtracted magnetic variation etc, so be very careful - it's very easy for the wrong answer to appear to be the right one by virtue of it being one of the options.

BEagle
19th Aug 2012, 14:24
The Examiner should .....

in JAR / EASA speak is simply a recommendation, not a mandatory requirement.

If the applicant passes, I consider that any incorrect answers should be specifically debriefed ("Question nn you answered b and the correct answer was c - you added variation in the wrong sense", or whatever. Otherwise you will never know whether he/she ever understood what he/she had answered incorrectly.

If the applicant fails, you could say something like "You need to practise use of the computer" or "Read up more on radio aids" or something similar as appropriate.

sharpend
30th Dec 2016, 18:43
It's been a million years since I learnt to fly and just as long since I used a Dalton Computer. Hence I am absolutely no use to my partner who is soon to sit the PPL nav exam. So questions:

1. Any suggestions for internet study, mainly video explanation of the Whizz wheel? Learning from a static book is not easy.

2. Can you take into the exam a calculator?

3. Can you take in spare paper and pen to do rough calculations on?

4.. What basic info does she need from the Whizz wheel other than TAS, G/S, Hdg Mag?

pilotjimbo
31st Dec 2016, 02:08
Read the Navigation PPL book, everything that comes up in the exam is in the book. Be confident with the wizz-wheel, plogging, working out crosswind components, converting IAS to TAS to GS.

Airquiz was also an invaluable resource when I was revising for my exams.

MrAverage
31st Dec 2016, 08:44
There is no plotting in the current Nav exam, that's in the Perf and Planning now.

Should: "used to say or ask (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/ask) what is the correct (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/correct) or best (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/best) thing to do"

Maoraigh1
31st Dec 2016, 22:16
I used a Dalton (whizzwheel) for my exams in 1964, but, after letting my PPL lapse, used an unprogrammable scientific calculator in 1987, as I was current in using it with the simple trig needed. I think programmable calculators are banned.

Whopity
1st Jan 2017, 12:49
Try the App (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/easa-ppl-exams/id689299701?mt=8)

Chase_BHX
1st Jan 2017, 23:55
Just resat (as took too long to do finish practical side due to long gaps because of work/weather).

There is a whizz wheel app "Flight Computer" that includes clear instructions for using it in the paid version - no connection other than user for practice.

There were also distance/time/speed causation and conversions between NM, statue Mile and kilometre and kg, lb gallon density calculations - which seemed to be there to check the units as well as calculation asthe wrong answers included the correct number with wrong units and correct units with wrong number

Pen and rough paper definitely allowed and I drew out anything that involved a calculation at all in any paper.
E.g. (W-E+)CDMVT(W+E-), wind triangles, course correction, altitude v height v MSL on QFE or QNH, ETA based on course covered etc. There were performance tables where figure expected was half way interpolation so again rough paper very useful.

Any set of practice MCQs would be useful I used airquzz last time and this time ones included in course.

There are approved scientific calculators (sorry not sure of list) but it does not include a iPad or iPhone (or android) so although they were all I used for practice papers I had to borrow a legal one for the exam and use the physical whizz wheel.

Good luck to your partner