PDA

View Full Version : Low time jobs information

flyliberty1
17th Aug 2012, 18:38
Hi all,
I'm working on my CPL trying to figure out what additional ratings/endorsements I should get while i'm sitting here building time (currently 161TT). My goal is to get a part-time single-engine flying job; I don't want to instruct (my hearts not in it!) So, I'm having trouble finding information on this forum and others about these specific questions:

Banner towing- about how many hours ballpark do these companies hire at? What's the best way to contact companies and should i do so now to get my name in their heads or wait until CPL? Is it true that usually these are tailwheel planes?

Aerial survey and diver driver- is it true that most of these companies won't hire until at least 500TT? I've read that turbine operators won't hire until 1000TT because of insurance. This was backed up by my own research, the local skydive co. starts taking resumes at 1000TT.

Power/pipeline inspection- same questions as banner towing.

What's up with aerial tours? That sounds fun can you get those at low time?

Most of the jobs/jobs forums i've seen say that companies hire at 500TT. Would any of you say that there are jobs out there for 250-300TT?

If any one could answer for me or point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

B2N2
17th Aug 2012, 18:56
Mmmm.....the lost art of instructing.
How come you heart is not in it? as in it's not cool enough for you?
Not hating, just asking.......:E
With the new rules in the pipeline pretty soon it will be the only way of getting above 1000+ hrs.

Driving divers is not as easy and risk-free happy-go-lucky-low-time-pilot flying as you may think:
Pilot Ensures Skydivers Jump Before Crash (http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Pilot_Ensures_Skydivers_Safe_207190-1.html)

Genghis the Engineer
17th Aug 2012, 19:14
Full credit to somebody honest enough to admit he doesn't want to be an instructor.

No idea about the other bits, although I suspect that not many employers will hire anybody with under 500hrs.

Just sayin' :8

flyliberty1
17th Aug 2012, 19:46
Thanks for the responses fellas.
"How come your heart is not in it? as in it's not cool enough for you?"

No that's really not it. My instructor was a 3000 hour helicopter pilot in the army. So I would consider it disingenuous to consider myself able to teach others to fly after 250-300 hours. Also, I went to part 61 school where they have 7-8 instructors that all have thousands of hours. How can i compete with that? And, to be an instructor you sort of have to sell yourself; be sort of a salesman, don't you? Not my best character attribute. Is it different part 141 schools? I don't feel like fighting for students; fighting for work!

B2N2, I thought the new rules were for airlines anyway? I know i will not be doing that for a long time. I saw the post about the hero pilot. There's risk involved in all flying though isn't there?

I don't want a happy-go-lucky job. I want to LEARN.

Anybody have any information on banner towing??

bluecode
18th Aug 2012, 12:33
For a lot of the jobs you mention there is nothing quite like turning up on site and having a chat with either the pilots or staff even if you're not quite ready to apply to them. Usually pilots are quite happy to help and advise. If they're not you can take a clue from that. There is nothing like the personal touch. Particularly with local operations. When you later hand in a Resume they'll remember your friendly face hopefully.

Check out Dropzone.com for jump pilot jobs. A common start up job for diver drivers is in a 182. They are pretty common with smaller dropzones. But be warned jump flying means very long days, low pay and seven day weeks. You will LEARN that's for sure. You'll soon build the hours and can graduate onto turbines. You'll earn every cent of the pitiful pay they give you. After fifteen or sixteen loads in a 182 you'll know that. More in turbines.

Visit your local dropzones and take a jump. Skydivers like their pilots to jump occasionally and they have to trust their pilot. If they don't you're out.

Good luck with all that.

flyliberty1
20th Aug 2012, 05:40
Cool, thanks bluecode. :ok:

B2N2
20th Aug 2012, 13:14
Usually pilots are quite happy to help and advise.
I only wish, this is not a very friendly industry at that level.
By some you will be observed as being a potential threat to their position which they fought hard for to earn.
Also they jobs are generally not advertised. If a jump pilot is leaving they ask him/her if they can recomnend anybody and everybody has a flying buddy somewhere looking for a position.

I want to LEARN
Then become a flight instructor, you will learn more about flying and people then you have learned during your Private,Instrument and Commercial put together.
Think about your flying time, it's not all about total time. every job has it limitations.
How much cross country time you think you will get flying jumpers?
How much instrument time you think you will get flying traffic watch?
How many instrument approaches will you do flying pipeline patrol?

Flight instructing will give you all of the above.
A buddy of mine did some turbine flying at a skydive place.
Being a CFI/CFII they asked him to do some flight reviews and IPC's with their pilots expecting him to pencil whip 'em.
He refused to sign them off as they were clueless about airspace, procedures, requirements etc.
I had an FAA inspector tell me that flying skydivers is the easiest way to run into a violation or get your ticket pulled.
Not all of them are bad obviously but some will expect you to fly through cloud, drop above an overcast, exceed flight time and airplane limitations etc etc etc.

A flight instructor needs to teach and not to sell.There are plenty of schools out there where you do not ahve to go hunting for your own students but students are provided to you.
Anybody else you can snare, great,but it won't be held against you if you don't.
A school should not be a loose group of semi self employed flight instructors just doing as they please. You should be trained on their equipment, given a syllabus briefing and shown how to teach what and when to teach it.
Plenty of good schools like that.

Ask yourself what you want to do and how to get there.
I believe flight instruction is one of the best ways.
Since you haven't started on your commercial yet; find a school where they are willing to combine your Commercial and your Flight Instructor training.
Use the CPL to transition to the right seat and use your CPL checkride as a rehearsal for your CFI check ride. Perfectly legal and will save you a lot of money.
PS...get out of Oregon and move to a state with a lot of flight training going on;

California
New Mexico
Arizona
Texas
Louisiana
Mississipi
Alabama
Georgia
Florida

flyliberty1
20th Aug 2012, 21:32
B2N2 you raise many good points. I'm still sorting through all this and learning a lot from this forum. I've heard everything from, "be an instructor, work your way up." to "you have no business teaching- go get some real flying experience." (paraphrasing)
Food for thought, i guess.

bluecode
20th Aug 2012, 23:16
Ok B2n2 has had a bad experience and yes if you want a violation skydive flying is a good way to get into trouble. Believe me I know.

But there is always a flying buddy sometimes it's you.

There is no one bad way or another.

I would agree with him, completely. But with due respect there is a difference between flightschool stuff and what you end up doing.

Look we all want to play it straight.

Sometimes the real world stuff is how it happens. Not alway comfortable for us straight aces. But there you are.

Biggles78
20th Aug 2012, 23:46
Skydivers like their pilots to jump occasionally and they have to trust their pilot. If they don't you're out.
Oh twaddle. I never jumped and there was only one reason I would have. :eek: I also packed the student rigs (squares, not rounds) and never had a failure or line over in the hundreds I did.

bluecode
22nd Aug 2012, 11:53
Seriously? They let a non skydiver pack their rigs? Slightly unusual.

As for it being twaddle, well I speak for myself and my own experience. A tandem was the least expected of you.

As I'm sure you know pilots were expected to have some insight into what's required of them and to fit in with the general atmosphere of the DZ.