PDA

View Full Version : Advice on travel in France

barnaby
5th Apr 2002, 18:34
I am looking for some advice on travelling into France for a few days.

I have heard of a Gites that has it's own airfield? Does anybody know of anywhere like this? I would quite like to travel down the west coast to somewhere like Bordeaux, but I am open to suggestions. I have no particular area in mind, the purpose is just for relaxing and to enjoy the surroundings.

I fly an Archer 3 so runway length is not too much of a problem.

If anybody has any suggestions, please post details.

Many thanks,
Barnaby

AMEX
5th Apr 2002, 21:37
Not sure about the place you are talking about but you can be sure that you won't miss the landing fees charged here in the UK.
Parking for over night stay is near enough nothing but watch out if you want to refuel between 12 and 2, it's the sacred lunch break. Saying that make the most of it and enjoy the great food !!!
Some places do not accept plastic so carry few FF, err I mean Euros just in case you need it.

Manflex55
6th Apr 2002, 08:16
Hmmm, lapsus révélateur AMEX. FF ?? Euros ?? Je n'ai même pas encore vu à quoi ils ressemblent, ces fameux nouveaux billets. Mais chacun sait que rien ne vaut notre bonne vieille £, nos pieds, pouces, miles & conduite à gauche.

MF

barnaby
6th Apr 2002, 10:25
Mai oui! Eh????? Remember, you are replying to a post from a fellow Yorkshireman so a bit of savvy on the old lingo would be tops!

mermoz
7th Apr 2002, 09:39
Hi Barnabi ,

You will find some nice places in the Delage French Flight Guide .It will cost you 39.95 Pounds .

You can order it at : www.transair.co.uk

Enjoy your trip in South France .

Mermoz

PorcoRosso
7th Apr 2002, 10:22
Try the "Auberge de Reyberotte" it's in South west of France, PPR (private airfield) very good food ! I don't think you can refuel there, but the Airfield is 10 minutes away from a bigger.(Bergerac I think)

it's definitely the place to land at , if you look for a gastronomic stop.

I'll try to find out some Lat/long stuff about it.

barnaby
7th Apr 2002, 10:24
Cheers guys. Any info is welcome, especially lat/long info or identifiers.

CBG
8th Apr 2002, 09:41
Airfields with good food with accomodation real close on your way down from the UK include St Valery and Bernay. Royan has a great restaurant too on the airfield (used to be the passenger terminal, a nice art deco building)

Enjoy!

PorcoRosso
10th Apr 2002, 08:37
Barnaby

I did some homework for you

The "Auberge de Reyberotte" is definitely in the area you want to fly to.
You can contact (and you must, since the airfield is PPR) at the following numbers.

Thierry Roussel : (33) 5 53 24 12 86
5 53 61 13 87
FAX 5 53 24 52 51

Basically you book your table and room !
I think you should ask them to fax you some details about the Airifield (TODA, LDA )
And, as far as I know they have an excellent reputation around, so don't wait the last minute to call them.

Enjoy the trip and the stay.
Contact me at the adress below if you plan to stop at Saumur, where I am presently based.
I can even contact this people for you if you need .

bidouf
13th Apr 2002, 10:08
Try La Rochelle !

It 's a very nice harbbour in the middle of the town and the airport "Laleux" is closed to he town .
No problem to find restaurant there ( " Andre " or cheaper Chez Fred " for sea food )
Hotel downtown are numerous .

CE

LUM
13th Apr 2002, 14:36
A classic, just across the Channel: Le Touquet.
Good food, tell the waiter your an aircrew and you'll get 10% rebate on the bill.