PDA

View Full Version : Being helpful

OFSO
17th Aug 2012, 15:47
Having been assisted by others so often, here's one I've discovered.

I had trouble entering text on my take-away website using IE: the text would slide down the screen and disappear under the edge of the window (yes it sounds crazy but that's what happened) and pop up again when moused, only to slide down again...etc.

This doesn't happen using Chrome.

Perhaps we should always try alternative browsers when site problems occur.

green granite
17th Aug 2012, 16:02
There is a virus that can cause that, perhaps time to run malware bytes .

OFSO
18th Aug 2012, 12:15
My site guru said it was an incompatability problem with SKYPE but thanks, I'll run MalWare Right This Very Minute.

green granite
18th Aug 2012, 12:45
He may well be right, but better safe than sorry.

vulcanised
18th Aug 2012, 15:04
I get peculiar movement when reading my gmail with Opera - scroll down results in slide left, etc..

mixture
18th Aug 2012, 15:21
Perhaps we should always try alternative browsers when site problems occur.

Yes, that is always a good rule to follow.

The problem is designers and developers will have an inherent tendency to make things work in for the browser the client is using to test the website (since they are the ones writing the cheque), and a close second is to make it work with whatever the individual designer and developer team members use as the browser of their choice on the workstations.

FullOppositeRudder
19th Aug 2012, 12:36
Indeed, I discovered only this evening that changing from the current Firefox to IE enabled me to complete an online SIM card activation which had previously reached a certain point and stalled.

regards,
FOR

green granite
19th Aug 2012, 15:21
Which is why there is an 'IE tab plug in' for firefox, just click on the icon and it will reopen the page in firefox but using the IE engine, and any site you visit often you can store in the add on so it automatically open in the IE tab, saves no end of time.

OFSO
19th Aug 2012, 15:37
AVG free edition twice a week, MalWareB once a fortnight, but just ran it again, no problems found. Yes, it is interesting trying several browsers on well known sites.

R

probes
19th Aug 2012, 16:15
True. I've sorted out the ones that display my e-mails in an acceptable way (IE, Chrome, Firefox on rare occasions).
[Could be that I would need to adjust something, of course?]