PDA

View Full Version : Contractors - Security Companies

eaglesnest1972
17th Aug 2012, 07:09
Hello everyone,

i am an european military about to leave the active duty.
I was trying to find out if there is any chance to find a job within one of many US security companies opeating in Africa,Middle East and Far East, as a pilot.
I currently hold a JAA frozen ATPL and am about to complete a type rating on the A320.
For what its worth, i attended also the US Army Sergeants Major Academy and had several deployments in hot areas.

Please let me know if anyone is aware about how to get in contact with such companies as on the internet informations about recruitment are very difficult to find.

Best regards:ok:

MungoP
17th Aug 2012, 09:38
Your problems will mostly arise from having to obtain a 'secret' clearance if the work involves living on a US base..
When we employ someone we need to know before investing time, effort and money in going through the employment process that they stand an excellent chance of being awarded an 'interim' clearance....that's to say it they don't already have a secret clearance the govt dept. processing the application will almost certainly award the interim clearance based on the applicants' backgrounds and then process the application over the following months. This enables them to begin work immediately (though there is always the possibility that the clearance will be rescinded if something negative is discovered at a later date).
For this to happen the applicant pretty much has to be born a US citizen, grow up and live in much the same place, have stable parents and family, no financial issues, no foreign contacts.. it goes on !
Anything that might cause this not to happen... and your background almost guarantees a problem.. will cause any potential employer to shy away. We would rather take on someone with a secret clearance and no time on type.. we know we can get them rated.. but the people in charge of the clearances are a law unto themselves.. we can't contact them even just to ask when a decision on an applicant might be maid... I'm told you'd need to be a 3 Star General to be able to do that ! They are the epitome of the very worst type of government dept. Paid for by the tax-payer and autonomous to the point where they can perform miserably with no oversight. The process of obtaining a decision has in our experience taken as long as three years and while this is exceptional 18 months is not... and even then it can go to arbitration which will easily take another year...
No surprise then that anyone who looks remotely doubtful gets 'binned'.

zondaracer
18th Aug 2012, 09:28
Mungo pretty much summed it up. Just a couple of notes, I had a billion foreign contacts, my mother was foreign born and most of my family are foreigners living overseas and I married a foreigner and it never affected me getting a top secret clearance. Plus I know many naturalized citizens who had no problems getting a clearance, but the key point that mungo made stays the same: no citizenship, no clearance, no joy

eaglesnest1972
18th Aug 2012, 10:05
Thanks mate.
Got it.
Best.