View Full Version : yet another BA post..........sorry to bore you all!

spikyt
3rd Jun 2001, 23:35
hello again, only found this site a fewdays ago and have got right into it!
Am just curious if anyone has had BA apptitude or Final Board assesments recently?
How did you do and how difficult was it really?
Let me know, am trying to prepare for this the best I can as, like most of you I am sure, I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want this!
I am determined to do it, and so any advice would be very helpful.
Thanx people!

------------------
BA wannabe!

Superpilot
3rd Jun 2001, 23:58
I'd be extremely careful if I were you. Although 'want' is a big part of it, you also need to prove to BA that you are 'the one' they are looking for.

I had my aptitudes in early May and failed on the most dreaded section - the Verbal Reasoning test. It was my first time applying. I first heard about the BA CEP about 6 years ago and because "I wanted it badly" too, I devoted quite a bit of time to the whole thing but still received a "after assessing your application in greater detail, and after careful consideration, we regret...." (btw, is this a standard letter - or was I very very close? :rolleyes: .

Read some posts by 'Great Expectations', her success story is inspirational. It took her a couple of attempts, but in the end she knew exactly what BA required and demonstrated it in the correct way. Others have had many attempts at the BA thing.

There is 'a lot' of competition for all sponsorships, you must be able to demonstrate and show all required qualities, not just 'want' or motivation. Incidently, lack of motivation was the reason for rejection for someone I know, he went on to prove he was motivated by gaining a PPL (thats how we met)

A good maths book is:

How to pass numeracy tests, by Tolly and Thomas. ISBN: 0749434376.

For the micropat stuff: You either have it or you don't

Verbal Reasoning: ......don't ask me!

[This message has been edited by Superpilot (edited 03 June 2001).]

4th Jun 2001, 00:45
Hi
I did the BA assessment in February this year. I like you was very motivated and thought I did OK but the wrong letter came home. I even had a PPL sponsorship behind me but maybe I just tried too hard!!!I passed the micropat test so I was pleased about that. It was the verbal reasoning that let me down. At least i'll know for again. Good luck to you and all the best. My email address is [email protected] Please let me know how you get on

spikyt
4th Jun 2001, 00:58
Thanx for the insight you two!
I am normally very good at picking up on what people want to hear. This is one of my major strengths normally, although I do know this is going to be a very different story.
So if two of you both failed on the Verbal Reasoning I would be really grateful as to what that consisted of exactly!
Thanx alot guys, and good luck for the future!

------------------
BA wannabe!

lone eagle
4th Jun 2001, 22:02
And moreover, what do people think the pass mark is regarding verbal reasoning???

LE.

Harry Wragg
7th Jun 2001, 17:59
The BA tests are not difficult as all the knowledge you require was passed on to you at school. It's just English, Arithmetic, and Physics.

Unlike colour blindness there is something you can do to improve your chances.

Dispose of your calculator and improve your mental arithmetic, read books, and quality broadsheet newspaper's for english comprehension. Pay a visit to the local library and get a copy of "How to pass Graduate Recruitment Tests" by Mike Bryon (ISDN 0-7494-0994-0). Pick the brains of others who have done the tests. Play video games to improve hand-eye coordination. You can improve!

Those that are suitable motivated succeed, as Bill Gates of Microsoft once said "...success is a lousy teacher as it fools smart people into believing they can't fail...." Plenty of people take more than one attempt to gain a sponsorship. Wanting something badly and doing something to achieve it are two separate things.

Lastly, don't believe it is the be all and end all, just a valuable opportunity. Other opportunities will become available if you keep working at it. Best of luck.

Harry (ex BA cadet)

Sagey
7th Jun 2001, 18:13
I haven't applied to BA yet but am in process of doing so since completing degree.

From reading this site for some time, it appears that many go into the interview trying to be what they perceive BA to want them to be. In all honesty I think it would be rather obvious to them if everyone giving exact answers etc.

My advice would be to just be yourself, try and relax and to try and to enjoy the process. If unsuccessful learn from it and you never know next time. We all know people that got in 3rd/4th attempt. Just try and remain calm

And good luck to everyone

Sagey