PDA

View Full Version : King Air E90 assessment flight - any tips?

Oxeagle
15th Aug 2012, 12:50
Afternoon all,

I have an assessment flight on a King Air E90 coming up soon, and having no experience on type I was hoping that you might be able to give me some advice, guidance or tips with regards to operating procedures, power settings in the circuit, general handling, single engine handling, any gotchas etc.

Many thanks,

OE

Flaymy
15th Aug 2012, 14:54
In the circuit 600 lb-ft should be adequate at 2000 RPM. If you are keeping 2200 RPM (easier if you've no KA time, but noisy) back that off to maybe 550 lb-ft. Sounds low, but you'll be going plenty quick enough. You can actually reduce by 100 lb to give yourself more time and still be at a safe clean speed, but might get a gear warning (cancel with a button to the left of the lever, but cannot be cancelled with any flap out).

It's a King Air, doesn't have any gotchas! Lovely aircraft to fly, handles like a dream, climbs fine on one if clean. Does it have autofeather? It's an option on aircraft with 3-blade props, mandatory for 4-blade.

Oh, one oddity for someone unused to King Airs is flap retraction. Most won't retract unless set to full up (can't retract in stages, except by setting fully up, then selecting approach flap as it passes that point). Later ones change this, but I've only flown one E90 so not sure.

Oxeagle
17th Aug 2012, 07:32
Thank you for the helpful advice Flaymy, I am very much looking forward to it!

Kind regards,

OE

Genghis the Engineer
17th Aug 2012, 07:43
Assessment?

Of the pilot, or the aeroplane?

Either way, the start point is a full understanding of the manuals.

G

Gulfstreamaviator
17th Aug 2012, 09:04
Just wait till you get an F90, or 350...... have fun.

TP under-rated buy us JET drivers....but best flying I ever had.

glf