PDA

View Full Version : Olympic welcome – Joyce wtf

FlareArmed
15th Aug 2012, 02:18
This morning, I was watching Sky News when the QF 747 arrived in Sydney with the Olympic Team. I have to say to the spin-doctors at Qantas, that I felt offended as an Aussie that that man, Joyce, was standing at the top of the steps greeting the athletes in-company with the PM.

I felt sick that this un-Australian unrepentant, prolific attention-seeker – despised by many in the country – was given the honour of being the first person to greet the athletes at the door. What a bloody disgrace.

VK2TVK
15th Aug 2012, 02:21
Not to mention the Gillturd also. She's pretty un-Australian too.

FoxtrotAlpha18
15th Aug 2012, 02:44
Prediciting thread closure in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5...

rodchucker
15th Aug 2012, 02:49
Have to say I had exactly the same reaction as to why the heck he was up there. Julia had a right to be there (like it or not she is PM) but I cringed when I saw AJ up there with her asking myself why was that necessary or appropriate.

Arm out the window
15th Aug 2012, 02:56
Julia had a right to be there (like it or not she is PM)

More so now than at any other time in my life, I resent having a PM who purports to speak for me, eg. "On behalf of all Australians I bla bla bla".

As you say, though, this is our political system based on our constitution, so I will just have to grind my teeth and cop it until there's a 'regime change', as the saying goes.

FlareArmed
15th Aug 2012, 03:01
Inappropriate – that's the big word I was looking for. I'm a pretty easy-going person, but I tell you what, my blood boiled when I saw him at the top of the steps. Maybe I'm being ott, but it just seemed plain wrong.

I had to switch off the telly.

FoxtrotAlpha18 probably right, but I just couldn't let the sick feeling I had pass without expression.

Silverado
15th Aug 2012, 03:26
I think you will find he is an Australian.

Redpanda
15th Aug 2012, 03:45
He's more into kiwi's than aussies............

Fris B. Fairing
15th Aug 2012, 03:51
When asked about his own athletic prowess he replied;

As an athlete I make a very good CEO.

Surely he can't have been that bad at athletics.

ejectx3
15th Aug 2012, 04:05
Ha ha crackup comment!

teresa green
15th Aug 2012, 04:08
Imagine, after all the huffing and puffing, and with a bit of luck you get a medal, then the flight home, no stopover, then if that is not enough, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum falls thru the door as soon as its opened (The CC would have stood back, they knew what was coming) and there you are in the arms of Elaine and Julia. AGHHHHHHHHHHHH!:{

ohallen
15th Aug 2012, 04:13
They sure did look chummy considering the public stoush they had last year. No wonder AJ and Board held the line and did what they did. There you go......

FlareArmed
15th Aug 2012, 04:19

I'll pay that on a technicality.

mohikan
15th Aug 2012, 04:29
The images sickened me also, but it was also illuminating in as far as watching Gillard's body language.

Just confirms what I have thought for some time - that Gillard and probably Shorten had advance notice of the grounding and are supportive of the Qantas campaign to smash its operational workforce

Joyce has proved himself and able strategist in outmanoeuvring the TWU / ALAEA and now AIPA. I can't see he would have risked destroying the relationship with the government by not telling them what he was going to do.

Arnold E
15th Aug 2012, 07:30

NEVER will be.:yuk:

Captain Sand Dune
15th Aug 2012, 07:42
Until his contract expires and he heads back to Ireland several million dollars richer.:mad:

Ken Borough
15th Aug 2012, 07:54
For God's sake cut the poor fella a bit of slack. QF is a major sponsor of Australia's Olympic team. If AJ wasn't there, questions would have been asked. I bet GD and JBT would have done the same given the opportunity! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Qantas 787
15th Aug 2012, 08:18
For once I agree with Ken B - if it was DJ, Borghetti would have been there front and centre.

The pollies on the other hand........no thank you.

FoxtrotAlpha18
15th Aug 2012, 08:44
Amazing...6.5 hours and at least half a dozen waste of space posts and two or three really low efforts later, and this thread is still kicking! :hmm:

DutchRoll
15th Aug 2012, 09:21
I agree, FA18.

We do live in a democracy and you don't have to "like" who is the elected PM (I personally don't at the moment, but then I'm not going to like Tony Abbott either unfortunately), nor whatever deals have been done with other MPs to retain power under the Westminster system.

If people honestly don't like living in this country, I really wish they would do us all a favour and emigrate to a political system and country they do like, rather than show the emotional maturity of a 2 year old having a tanty.

S70IP
15th Aug 2012, 10:02
I agree, FA18.

We do live in a democracy and you don't have to "like" who is the elected PM (I personally don't at the moment, but then I'm not going to like Tony Abbott either unfortunately), nor whatever deals have been done with other MPs to retain power under the Westminster system.

If people honestly don't like living in this country, I really wish they would do us all a favour and emigrate to a political system and country they do like, rather than show the emotional maturity of a 2 year old having a tanty.

I actually like living in a country where it's citizens can complain without fear of prosecution other than a few people of a forum.

blow.n.gasket
15th Aug 2012, 11:18
What I found most interesting was the music playing in the background.
Not the new Daniel John's funeral dirge, but rather the old kid's choir of " I still call Australia home."
What ,abandoning the new promo blitz already? That popular was it?

TIMA9X
15th Aug 2012, 11:56
Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum falls thru the door as soon as its opened (The CC would have stood back, they knew what was coming) and there you are in the arms of Elaine and Julia. AGHHHHHHHHHHHH!and

For God's sake cut the poor fella a bit of slack. QF is a major sponsor of Australia's Olympic team. If AJ wasn't there, questions would have been asked. I bet GD and JBT would have done the same given the opportunity! both comments valid..

I see both sides of the argument, but there is a funny side to this as well..... when the video came across my desk I laughed out loud! "Now it's the Irish and Welsh welcoming home Australian Olympians!" I thought.... after watching it, "and they used the old campaign tune" and not the reason we fly thing.... not emotional enough?.... and after all that noise from Q PR about this new and exciting campaign.....

24 hours on a flight from LHR no matter what class you are flying, all you want to do is get through the formalities and get home....

Not sure how I would have felt if I was greeted by a Welsh lady and an Irish bloke tripping over themselves to shake my hand.....

I agree, QF is a major sponsor of Australia's Olympic team so AJ & JG were a walk up start to be there... all's fair in the PR opportunity stakes. no doubt about that...

but having said that, the mood in this country has changed significantly (to steal a word from OW) since the last time the Olympics were staged in Beijing. Let's just say, I was pretty horrified with all the whinging in the media about the low medal count. Couple this with the poor image both Gillard & Joyce have with the general population then I fully understand why people are a little peeeed off with the way todays welcoming ceremony was conducted...

Gillard and Joyce, are tarred with the same brush image wise... together they have overseen many job loses for Australian families, probably why they cop flak constantly and always on the negative side of things..

Those comfortable on the job front, who have a future, probably don't fully realise the emotions Gillard and Joyce set off amongst common garden variety Australians who have been effected by their decisions...

For me, Joyce & Gillard looked like a newlywed Royal couple greeting their adoring fans... it was a bit much in the way it was presented... and to an old tune..... supposedly now dated :rolleyes:.... too many mixed messages...

h8LVmelkFIU

Fonz121
15th Aug 2012, 12:39
Gillard and Joyce, are tarred with the same brush image wise... together they have overseen many job loses for Australian families, probably why they cop flak constantly and always on the negative side of things..

Oh spare me....... Gillard has seen many job losses? What jobs have been lost as a direct result of Gillard/Labor policy?

TIMA9X
15th Aug 2012, 13:42
http://www.pprune.org/6815792-post135.html
I'm a big supporter of the carbon tax.

Not because I think it will do a whole lot to actually clean up the environment directly, but because it will encourage innovation in the field of clean energy. Hopefully resulting in this country being a leader in the field, which in my opinion will be big business in the future.

Anybody crying poor over this tax because they're going to be "worse off" is getting their knickers in a knot over nothing as we're all in the same boat, and therefore nothing about your lifestyle is going to be any worse off relative to anybody else in the country. Hi Fonz 121, late last year you said the above, in my previous post I was talking about the image or perception the public have about Gillard. Most of the country don't like the carbon tax... Joyce only talks about the need to change, other words cut jobs,,, Gillard uses the word "reform" always how you should live but did nothing about saving jobs other than the Victorian car industry, only because it would have destroyed support in her parties heartland in Victoria...

In the Qantas case, Joyce is seen as the man who stranded passengers under the watch of Gillard, don't start me on what her FWA mates did for aviation workers... Pair Gillard with Joyce and they carry the image of job slashers working together...... it is just the way it works...

Labor policy has nothing to do with perception people carry about Gillard... most don't understand what Labor nor the Liberals stand for anymore... they only see things when it affects them....

Job losses announced to-date:
Qantas 500
ANZ Bank 1000
Macquarie (globally) 1000
Westpac 560
Reckitt Benckiser 190
Toyota 350
Telstra/Sensis 200
Norsk Hydro 150
NAB 130
Holden 100
Rio Tinto 100
Suncorp 65
Jobs at risk of elimination:
Caltex refineries 700+
Alcoa 600
Royal Bank of Scotland (Australia) 400

Note, there has been a lot more since this story was published...... eg; Qantas a further 2800 jobs

Read more: Australian job loss figures (http://www.smh.com.au/business/australian-job-loss-figures-20120215-1t5wb.html#ixzz23cXBqPgN)

It takes about 12 months for job losses to filter through... anyway this is not what this thread is about....

It's about two unpopular people (as perceived by many in the aviation industry) with image problems marching up the front stairs of a recently arrived 744 from LHR putting on a poorly executed show. As this is a pilots network, it's pretty obvious that a few people on here could see through it...

Basically, poor casting from a PR point of view....:ok:

Ivor Biggun
15th Aug 2012, 21:54
(Headline)
2016 Australian Olympic Team to fly Virgin B777 to Rio... will they bring back a haul of gold unlike 2012?

Met on arrival by a failing CEO and Prime Minister.

Had to be asked.

Ivor Biggun

Typhoon650
15th Aug 2012, 22:39
Just goes to show the bubble elite athletes must live in.
If they even had the slightest idea about current affairs over the last several years, I doubt many would be shaking the hands of either a prime minister who used ass kissing, back stabbing and lies (but that is the "Australian" way it seems) to obtain her position, or a CEO who can't run a business.

Fris B. Fairing
15th Aug 2012, 22:50
Typhoon

Regardless of whether or not athletes live in a bubble, what you saw was simply a display of good manners and knowing how to behave.

Shark Slayer
15th Aug 2012, 23:01
Not long now and Joolya's "Reign of Error" will be at an end.

standard unit
15th Aug 2012, 23:25
Yes Australia will be soooo much better off under the reign of the mad monk.

TIMA9X
15th Aug 2012, 23:25
what you saw was simply a display of good manners and knowing how to behave.Spot on mate, exactly the point, they were a captive audience, (believe it or not people see through staged arrivals.)

Makes me wonder, what if the athletes were offered a choice of the front or rear exits? The greeting ceremony probably would have lasted about 20 seconds...:)