PDA

View Full Version : First BFR overdue...

FlyingKiwi_73
15th Aug 2012, 01:53
Hi Chaps, just found out with slight horror my BFR is overdue (only by a few weeks) I have booked the time for the BFR to be next weekend.Just a quick couple of questions about it since its my first, is it like the Practical flight test all over again, are you usually asked some ground questions (WB check, Short feild performance etc...) I have been flying alot lately so i'm more than current but i haven't practiced anything for the review and i have run out of time!FK

fujii
15th Aug 2012, 05:55
Don't ask here, as you have already booked, ring the school again and ask them what to expect. PPRUNE will have 10 respondents with 20 opinions.

foxmoth
15th Aug 2012, 05:58
As he is in NZ, really needs someone from there to answer.

B2N2
15th Aug 2012, 12:40
Are we talking about a Flight review as required by the FAA under 14 CFR Part 61.56?
Here is some guidance from the horses mouth:
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/media/flight_review.pdf

But every school generally has made their own plan that their instructors use.
If you are using a self employed flight instructor ask them what and how to prepare so you don't make a fool of yourself. :ok:
Are you sure it's out of date? A flight review is good for 24 calender months so if you take one on the 1st it's good till the 30th or 31st two year later.
Enjoy.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Aug 2012, 12:45
As Foxmoth rightly said, the OP is in New Zealand. Unless you are familiar with NZ regulations, you are more likely to mislead than help.

G

banditb6
15th Aug 2012, 19:46
The BFR is similar to a flight test, you may/will be required wing drop stalls, circuits etc its not as formal as the initial flight test more a saftey check and to help polish out any bad habits you may have developed, if you are current like you say you are then the groundwork shouldn't be a problem. Where abouts do you fly from in NZ?

flyinkiwi
16th Aug 2012, 00:57
As a fellow Kiwi pilot who has had several BFRs I will say the following:

Whether the BFR feels like a checkride or a lesson with a B Cat (instructor) depends on the instructor - mine have all been along the lines of "OK that's the mandatory stuff done, lets do something cool."
It is not specifically defined as one flight although if you are current and competent one flight is normally all it takes, but can be done over several if the B Cat thinks you need work on some areas. So do not think of it as pass/fail. It is more like a "state of your flying" trip. If you require more flights you revert to student privileges until your B Cat signs off your logbook.

So my advice to you is:

Brush up on your skills - actually go out and do some wing drop stalls, compass turns, forced landings - things you may not have done since your checkride or last BFR. Go up with a C Cat out to a low flying zone and recap the Low Flying syllabus to make sure you are safe and know all the required maneuvers.
Hit the books and revise Av Law (especially if something has changed since your last BFR or checkride), B Cats have a habit of asking questions about this sort of thing. Also make sure your knowledge of the aircraft you are flying for your BFR is up to date. I always seem to get questions about the fuel, oil or vacuum systems.
Relax and enjoy the flight!

India Four Two
16th Aug 2012, 05:11
I agree with flyinkiwi. I did a BFR in February as part of the process of converting my Canadian license to a Kiwi one.

My flight was also "OK that's the mandatory stuff done, lets do something cool." The cool stuff was part of the low-level bad-weather syllabus, which is really emphasised in NZ. Medium turns at 200' ASL over the shore-line with 60' trees at the back of the beach really concentrates the mind! :eek:

As flyinkiwi said, relax and enjoy it.

B2N2
16th Aug 2012, 14:30
As Foxmoth rightly said, the OP is in New Zealand. Unless you are familiar with NZ regulations, you are more likely to mislead than help.

Well, being an International forum and FAA accredited pilots flying all over the world that could have been made a little clearer in the first post.

B

FlyingKiwi_73
31st Aug 2012, 09:34
Hi all, I had the BFR and Passed with only a few minor hiccups

It was about 2.3 hours flying in two flights, and about 2-3 hours ground work in an open book exam.

The Minor hiccups were compass turns (forgetting ONUS) turning in before thinking! and i had a real go around while on the MAUW flight due to an aircraft on the runway. I got focused on the A/C on the ground and started to retract the flaps before going to full power, i got the power on pretty smartly but of course it could have been a real mistake.

Off to take mum for a flight in the sounds tomorrow in the clubs new 172sp G1000! lovely A/C !

jxk
31st Aug 2012, 17:38
The Minor hiccups were compass turns (forgetting ONUS)Is ONUS the same as North Early South Late (NESL) as in the Northern Hemisphere OR is the compass dip different down there. I can't visualise the way it works without standing on my head.

flyinkiwi
10th Sep 2012, 04:50
FK73: Congrats mate! If those were the only mistakes you did well.

JXK: ONUS stands for Over turn North, Under turn South. Definitely seems to be the other way around down here.

FlyingKiwi_73
10th Sep 2012, 06:39
Thanks Flying Kiwi,

I had a great time thanks to getting the BFR nailed, i can never work out how to add images here (even though i have a flcr account and have pasted the link) If i could i would post a nice pic of the 4 of us enjoying a slightly cloudy trip through the sounds.... of course that was two weeks ago... last weekend i saw seagulls walking...

I even nailed the landing... and got a cheer!...

I'll post that link in a few minutes..... this G1000 is gonna make me poor!

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Sep 2012, 08:56
ONUS stands for Over turn North, Under turn South. Definitely seems to be the other way around down here.
Can't get my head round that stuff, I just do timed turns instead.