PDA

View Full Version : Watch This Space

WorthWhat
15th Aug 2012, 00:04
QANTAS’ LHEBA 8 was tossed in 2008 and now American Pilots Association President, David Bates has resigned in similar circumstances.Bates, a captain with American Airlines had told the 10,000 AA pilots represented by APA that voting for a labor accord agreed to with AA management, however imperfect, was a better alternative than leaving their fate up to a US bankruptcy court... But following Wednesday’s 61%-39% vote against the tentative agreement, the APA board requested the resignation of Bates, he told AA flight deck crew in a Thursday letter.
“Although I believe that ratifying the tentative agreement would have been the best course for our pilot group, the majority of our pilots signalled their preference for taking a different path,” he wrote. “Given these circumstances, I concluded that continuing to serve as your president was not in the interests of the pilots I have been charged with representing.” Absent a last-minute deal that appears unlikely, a US bankruptcy judge is expected to rule to cancel the pilots’ labor contract with AA and impose new work rules.Talk about Deja Vu. In both cases, expect what will soon to go down in the Courts in America and FWA in Australia will make Woods' EBA 8 and Bates' AA Contract look like something from Santa.

WorthWhat
16th Aug 2012, 22:46
Last Wednesday, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Sean Lane said AMR had established that changes are necessary to "many" of the terms in the company's existing contract with the Allied Pilots Association.

However, Judge Lane also concluded that two narrowly defined elements of the company's proposal were too aggressive. American has not demonstrated the need for unlimited pilot layoffs, unrestricted code sharing and can't scrap the pilot contracts.

Newspaper report available from: AMR can't scrap pilot contracts, judge rules | Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=585&articleid=20120816_45_E1_Abankr836933)