PDA

View Full Version : cpl nav exam

miroho
14th Aug 2012, 00:29
it has come to my attention that cpl nav candidates using jepps are denied use of airservices docs, such as the VTC for this exam. this seems a tad unfair when there are questions with instructions such as "refer to Hobart VTC". anyone else encountered this problem?

checked_and_set
14th Aug 2012, 04:27
I sat the CPL Nav exam 4 weeks ago and the only time I had to refer to the VTC was when I was asked to find the areas of terrain in which there is less than 500ft of clearance between it and the CTA lower limit. I am unfamiliar with Jepp charts as I use ASA (Forced to, not a personal choice) but I would be guessing you could still answer that style of question with the Jepp charts?

Adsie
14th Aug 2012, 08:40
It states that you can you can use Jepps or Air Services but not both.

It would be ok if Jepps were allowed to reproduce the AS maps but AS want to hold on to that monoply for a while yet.

F**cking stupid

MakeItHappenCaptain
14th Aug 2012, 10:11
Why would you possibly be using Jepps maps (ie. they don't produce Australian VFR charts anyway) for anything prior to your IREX????

Horse, THEN cart.

VIMD
14th Aug 2012, 12:23
In my experience, I have seen candidates allowed the use of the Jeppesen Airway Manual, as well as their VTC, as long as they were not using the ERC H/L. The Jeppesen Airway Manual does not replace the whole AIP package for the exam, so you should be allowed the documents that are not contained in Jeppesen. I would take this matter up with CASA and ASL, as I have found that some invigilators have no clue what they are doing.

miroho
16th Aug 2012, 00:16
the students involved are airline cadets going straight through to mecir and the reasoning is to start them off with the docs. they will be using shortly anyway rather than the confusion and expense of using 2 sets of docs.

Aeromuz
16th Aug 2012, 01:48
While I can appreciate the students are cadets going through to MECIR, the Jepps reasoning may be a tad flawed. As they are doing their CPLs which come under the DAY VFR syllabus shouldn't they be using those charts?

Jepps produce IFR only and while I'm a Jepp user myself I wouldnt have ever encouraged a student of mine using them before they have finished their CPL studies.

Its your party and you can run it any way you want, but a slight re-think may fix problems in the future.

Good luck. I wish you and your students success.:ok:

miroho
16th Aug 2012, 01:54
we do use wac, vtc, vnc etc. but the cadets can't use them in exams because we use jepps airways, cheers