PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone & Accessing internet

Maddie
13th Aug 2012, 21:22
Good evening all,

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

I've just been on a short haul (Airbus) flight.

I noticed the gentleman beside me using his mobile just before the doors were shut, and obviously before the safety announcement was made. He seemed to dim the screen, but not actually turn the phone off, then he nodded off. He work up as we were taxiing and I asked him was his phone off, he snapped at me that he had, I tried to explain that I am a nervous flyer and thought maybe he had missed the announcement.

I was even more nervous because of the fact that we were sitting in row one, and I thought perhaps as were quite close to the cockpit, that the risk of interference may be higher.

Anyway, I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he had switched the phone off, even thought I had my doubts. Mid-flight, this gentleman took out his phone, tapped the screen, and started reading a news website. He appeared to have internet access.

I went down the aisle to where the flight attendants were serving refreshments and mentioned it to one of them.

They said they would have a word with him.

As they came back the '10 mins to land' bell rang and they started to come through the cabin to secure it. The gentleman in question was still using his phone, and the attendant politely asked him to switch it off, no differently to how she would have asked anybody else. I fly ever couple of weeks, and am used to the crew asking folk to turn off devices, so I know it was just a general, polite request.

A few minutes later the gentleman left his seat (despite the seat belt sign being on for landing) and went to speak to the attendant. I overheard her saying to him that it was just a short flight and we will be landing shortly. I presumed he was just asking to use the bathroom. On my way out the flight attendant called me to one side and confirmed that the gentleman had given out to her as well, for asking him to turn off the phone and that should I feel uncomfortable about anybody again, just to ask to move seats.

What made me nervous was the fact that the gentleman just chose to ignore the general request to switch off his phone from the out-set.

In real terms what is the risk of a phone causing serious interference and more specifically, is the risk of interference greater if the person is sitting near the front of the plane. I'm not talking her about phones being set to flight mode, I'm talking about phones being left switched on, in ordinary mode and passengers using them or other devices to access the internet in-flight.

Many thanks for your replies.

PAXboy
13th Aug 2012, 21:37
If you check the Forunm FAQ at the top of the page, this subject is dealt with there, listing three separate threads and is one of them to get you started:
http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/299066-mobile-phones-cabin-perhaps-not.html

You may find some of the other topics liste din the FAQ as helpful to you.

PhilW1981
13th Aug 2012, 21:40
Frankly, the risk to aircraft from modern mobiles is somewhere between ultra slim and zero, ie an aircraft is more likely to be brought down by a lightning strike. I once sent a text as we were just prior to the doors being closed (due to delay) and the woman beside me went berzerk. Rruth told I found it somewhat amusing. It's a little bit like the fiasco of liquids.

The only bit of your story that I find bizarre is that he was using the internet at 30,000 feet. This isn't possible unless he had pre loaded the page (in which case his phone could easily have been in flight mode) or the aircraft operator has an onboard facility.

PAXboy
13th Aug 2012, 21:58
Please could the old threads (three of them listed in the FAQ) be used? Of course, all the same things can be repeated in here ...

Maddie
13th Aug 2012, 22:30
Thank you for replies, I will read the relevant threads but I guess with technology changing all the times, so can dangers and risks.

To me, especially, as a nervous flyer, I cannot understand why anybody would knowingly leave their phone switched on after being asked to turn it off especially when the safety briefing reiterates that leaving them on 'may interfere with the aircraft's navigational system' .

As I said at the outset, I was additonally worried because of where we were sitting, but of course that may make no difference.

I dream of the day that a master device is invented that can turn off all phones automatically. Passengers could first of all be given the option to switch to flight mode and/or turn their phones off manually and if they didn't that their phone would be switched off via the master switch with the airline not responsible for any loss of data resulting from same.

I guess if that day were to come, there would be few if any violations of the current rules.

Hotel Tango
14th Aug 2012, 07:50
Maddie, don't worry, phones left switched on won't bring your plane down. I never leave mine deliberately switched on but I have on occasions forgotten to switch off (thinking that I had switched off). I guess that on a 747 load of pax there may be dozens of phones left on inadvertantly, including the Captain's :eek: There's no record of an a/c accident ever caused by mobile phone signals.

strake
14th Aug 2012, 08:28
Maddie, don't worry, phones left switched on won't bring your plane down. I never leave mine deliberately switched on but I have on occasions forgotten to switch off (thinking that I had switched off). I guess that on a 747 load of pax there may be dozens of phones left on inadvertantly, including the Captain's There's no record of an a/c accident ever caused by mobile phone signals.
Oh dear, oh dear. Oh very, very dear...

Standby for either a padlock or incoming....

TightSlot
14th Aug 2012, 08:57
Depressing, isn't it?

Thanks PAXboy and strake for your good intentions and words to the wise. Hotel Tango - frankly, as a useful and regular contributor to this forum, you've been around the tracks long enough to know better.

Maddie - You were right to be concerned, and to bring it to the attention of the crew. The "gentleman" as you rather charitably call him, was an example of a breed (also seen on this thread) that knows better, and won't be told otherwise. There's a lot of them about.

I'm going to close this thread, but I'm entirely happy for the conversation to continue, but please use one of the FAQ threads - Thanks.