PDA

View Full Version : Something interesting around LA?

Genghis the Engineer
13th Aug 2012, 17:57
All going to plan I'm in LA on business (specifically around Anaheim) late September.

When in the USA I always try to do a bit of flying; last I was in LA I rented from an FBO at Long Beach who didn't impress me, and I think aren't there any more anyhow.

I'd done a bit of googling and emailing, but you can only really go on what's on websites, plus USians are astoundingly bad at replying to emails!

Can anybody recommend somewhere friendly and sensible in that neck of the woods (ideally somewhere I can avoid hiring a car to get to) with something interesting to fly, who'll do a BFR+checkout and rent me an aeroplane for a few days.

For the point of the conversation I'm only interested in singles, and anything built by Grumman, Piper or Cessna with a nosewheel almost certainly doesn't tick the "interesting" box.

G

cavortingcheetah
13th Aug 2012, 19:07
A somewhat long winded way but one that I've done in the past at Van Nuys and at Philadelphia North is to telephone the local airfield FAA office. I've got through to an FAA flight examiner and then gently and generally while talking about validations, flight checks and so on, been able to find out where he'd go were he me. In each case I have made a useful and friendly contact for that check ride.

Cusco
13th Aug 2012, 19:51
In 2006 we rented from an outfit called Justice Aviation in Santa Monica:

They were very thorough and got the BFR and IPC knocked off by the day after we arrived.

Then I broke their aeroplane.........

Comprehensively.....

Hooray for Renters' Insurance

taybird
13th Aug 2012, 20:14
Genghis - PM sent.

AdamFrisch
14th Aug 2012, 04:48
Justice at SMO is good. Beach Cities Aviation at Hawthorne good. They even have a Corvallis 400 you can get into, if you like. If you need a good going through, ask for a BFR with DPE Pat Carey at BCAA.

Long Beach is busy and tower can be a bit anal, but it's good high density practice. Torrance is a nice field and quite near. Compton is a bit ghetto, but there are some interesting aircraft there. Fullerton a well run field. John Wayne even busier than Long Beach in case you crave the rush of mingling with big jets. Just watch out for the permanent TFR above Disneyland/Anaheim that goes up to 3000ft. It's easy to bust.

And if you're ever out a bit more East and have a twin rating, you're welcome to borrow the old Commander with a quick checkout.

172driver
14th Aug 2012, 08:39
+1 for Justice @ KSMO. Great outfit.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Aug 2012, 09:02
+1 for Justice @ KSMO. Great outfit.

I'm sure they are, but looking at their website, all PA28s and C172s, save a couple of Cirrus which they require a 10 hour checkout on. That's a bit OTT for a holiday rental!

Current favourite is looking like a DA40 from Angel City Flyers at Long Beach - does anybody have any experience of them? On the face of it they look okay, but experiences are always worth hearing.

G

172driver
14th Aug 2012, 10:50
Genghis, you could also go to Whiteman (KWHP) and look around there. It's been quite a while, but last time I was there this place looked like experimental heaven - perhaps right up your street! A bit out of your way, though.

Then again, you could do a few hours instruction in a Cirrus - would deffo help in the Cirrus discussion on here ;)

englishal
14th Aug 2012, 11:24
Ghengis,

Go to ACF at LGB. They are a top bunch, and I have done much flying with them. I also flew from "that other place" round the corner in the past, and in actual fact, I even met you once in the lobby ;)

dobbin1
14th Aug 2012, 11:31
I did some aerobatics in a Pitts S2C out of Fullerton Airport. Nice outfit with some interesting aeroplanes:-

Aerobatic Aircraft Overview & Specifications | Pitts S-2C | Extra 300L | WACO YMF-5C | Marchetti SF-260 | Los Angeles & Orange County | 1-866-4-THRILL (http://www.skythrills.com/our-planes/index.html)

n5296s
14th Aug 2012, 17:04
The DA40 is a delight to fly. I got about 3 hours in one at Mandelieu (Cannes) a few years back. A pleasure to fly and excellent visibility. Probably what I'd buy if I was in the market for a new airplane - though I'd miss having a turbo.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Aug 2012, 17:21
Genghis, you could also go to Whiteman (KWHP) and look around there. It's been quite a while, but last time I was there this place looked like experimental heaven - perhaps right up your street! A bit out of your way, though.

Then again, you could do a few hours instruction in a Cirrus - would deffo help in the Cirrus discussion on here ;)

The conference I'm going to includes a lecture by Sully Sullenberger and a tour of Mojave so I'm doing okay on interesting visits. And as you say, a bit out of my way.

Regarding the Cirrus - yes, I'd be very happy to get some Cirrus instruction and time. However, as (a) one website says 10 hour to checkout, and (b) no other company with Cirruses has replied to my emails, that may not happen this trip. It will happen at some point - maybe I'll do that at Denham at some point from home.

I like the look of the outfit at Fullerton, and may think about an SF260 if it's affordable and they'd let me go off and play on my own - the WACO appeals as well, but apparently they won't rent it out solo, which is a shame.

G

Mark 1
15th Aug 2012, 03:18
There are quite a few Citabrias available for training and rental locally, including my home base of Hawthorne, Torrance and Santa Paula at least that I know of. Santa Paula is well worth a visit especially on first Sundays when the hangars are all open.

You're welcome to a scoot round in my RV-8. Feel free to PM me.

If you haven't found it already, Pacific Flyer (http://www.pacificflyer.com/) often has some good local info.