PDA

View Full Version : EPS12V or ATX12V with EATX12V?

The late XV105
13th Aug 2012, 15:34
Brand new ASUS P8Z77-V LX motherboard with 8-pin EATX12V socket.

Antec TruePower 750w PSU with both 8-pin EPS12V and 4-pin ATX12V plugs.

Both plugs will correctly seat in the EATX12v socket (the 4-pin plug at the righthand end of the EATX socket if the latch is uppermost), but which should I use, please?

Information on the web doesn't always tally with what the ASUS and Antec user manuals imply. My guess is that "E" in EATX12V stands for "extended" or "expanded", so I should use the 4-pin ATX12V plug and ignore the redundant pins at one end of the EATX12V socket.

Correct?

TVM,
TLXV

green granite
13th Aug 2012, 16:04
According to the PSU's manual you should:

Connect the 8-pin or 4-pin ATX12V connector for the CPU to the appropriate connector on your motherboard. If your motherboard has an 8-pin socket with a cover on some of the openings, we recommend that you remove the cover and use the 8-pin connector.
Note: Please also refer to your motherboard user’s manual for any special instruction.

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=1764&fid=237

The late XV105
13th Aug 2012, 16:21
Thanks, green granite, but I have the manual along with the words you quote, and this is part of the confusion.

The ATX plug from the PSU is 4-pin
The PSU also has an 8-pin plug but it isn't ATX, even though it fits perfectly
The ATX socket on the mobo is 8-pin with none of them covered

So, do I use the 4-pin plug because it is ATX, or do I ignore the nomenclature and use the 8-pin plug?

The mobo userguide doesn't help as it only shows pictures of connectors - both 4 and 8 pin - connected to the 8-pin socket, and makes no mention of nomenclature.

Ta.

green granite
13th Aug 2012, 17:00
All you can do is check that the volts on the pins are the same, or not and then make your mind up from that.

The late XV105
13th Aug 2012, 17:54
Thanks again.

A bit more creative Googling, and I found my question has already been asked (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4126171/power-cable-query-from-psu-to-asus-p8z68-v-pro-gen3-motherboard/) - and answered. :)

I can use the 8-pin EPS12V in the EATX12V socket - which is how I had it before I got cold feet and tried to think logically!