PDA

View Full Version : ATT Aerodynamic Buffs: Ideal boundary layer characteristics at the stall?

LongLats
13th Aug 2012, 08:03
So I'm studying for ATPL systems, and have split answers in a question. Any advice on the correct answer and/or the "CASA correct" answer? Here's the question:

In order to delay flow separation on an aerofoil at the stall, the characteristics of the boundary layer should ideally be:

a. laminar due to reduced surface friction
b. turbulent due to the higher velocities at the wing surface

The Green Goblin
13th Aug 2012, 11:47
Calling on Plankbender :)

triathlon
13th Aug 2012, 20:11
I second turbulent

alphacentauri
13th Aug 2012, 22:21
I third turbulent......think vortex generators, they break up the airflow (thus adding turbulence) and delay flow separation from the wing.

triathlon
13th Aug 2012, 23:04
Yep. The good old vortex generator applies the concept of energising the laminar layer with " turbulent " air for one of a better word.
But if in doubt go C

scavenger
14th Aug 2012, 00:05
Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators, p59:

In order to prevent separation of a boundary layer in the presence of an adverse pressure gradient, the boundary layer must have the highest possible kinetic energy. If a choice is available, the turbulent boundary layer would be preferrable to the laminar boundary layer because the turbulent velocity profile shows higher local velocities next to the surface.

Great book :ok:

LongLats
14th Aug 2012, 01:09
Cheers everyone, turbulent it is.

aussie027
14th Aug 2012, 05:45
LongLats, you have your answer.

Scavenger is right , Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators is still after 50 odd yrs one of THE best refs on Aerodynamics.:ok::ok:

MakeItHappenCaptain
14th Aug 2012, 05:58
Yup, never knew how to direct a sonic boom until I read that one...:ok:

Andy_RR
14th Aug 2012, 17:20
Of course, what's desirable is very Reynolds Number-dependent.

Wally Mk2
14th Aug 2012, 23:04
....fascinating no doubt but what's the point of asking such a question in an exam when during yr normal life as an Airline driver you can do nothing about that characteristic of airflow or even know it's happening other than it's end result (stall). Mr Airbus & Mr Boeing have made sure that such aerodynamic forces are relayed to us drivers via the multiple complex stall warning devices etc,reaction by the fright crew should be automatic, it's all about AoA, that's all we need to know/remember!.........weird how the boffins of the aviation world reckon we ought to know it from a purists POV.

But at the end of the day just pass the exam/s then do a memory dump & get on with the actual flying:ok:

Wmk2

Oktas8
15th Aug 2012, 04:26
You're right of course Wally, pilots don't need to know the finer points of wing design in order to fly the aircraft. It's a practical job certainly.

But, perhaps from sentimentality (!) I would not like to work in the industry where pilots really are just bus drivers - that is, they don't know why this aircraft has Type A flaps and that one has Type B flaps, etc. No disrespect to the real bus drivers of course, we all have a job to do. For me, I like to work in a job requiring technical knowledge.

BTW - turbulent FL is best at the stall. High speed flight, friction & drag are important. Low speed flight, they aren't. A gross generalisation that helps with this kind of question.

Pinky the pilot
16th Aug 2012, 05:29
Yup, never knew how to direct a sonic boom until I read that one...

So where did you direct the first one?:E:D