PDA

View Full Version : Helmet AND Headsets?

hueyracer
11th Aug 2012, 13:20
Working as a freelancer in my Off-time, i change between fire fighting, long lining and Utility work-and then back into the "risky country"...

While i always prefer flying with a helmet when on Utility jobs, the customer requires us to fly with headsets on other tasks...no problem with that, but i hate to travel with a helmet AND a headset all the time.

I saw a helmet of one of our PSDīs, and thought about whether there is a helicopter helmet that allows you to wear a headset under/over the helmet?

There are plenty of small helmets available-unfortunately, they are all without visors...

Please, guys-no discussion about whether or not to wear helmets (there are plenty of these in the forum)....

If anyone ever heard or (even better) saw/tried something like this-please share....

Is there a helmet with a visor AND the possibility to wear it with a headset?
(Need the possibility to connect NVGīs to the helmet....)

500e
11th Aug 2012, 21:05
Dave Clark make a helmet
David Clark K10 Helmet Kit (http://www.davidclark.com/headsetpgs/K10.htm)
Not to good but!!

hueyracer
12th Aug 2012, 03:52
Thanks for the link.....thatīs basically what i am looking for...

Will give it a try.....

Kyrilian
16th Aug 2012, 20:34
How about one of the small in-ear headsets, like Halo or Clarity Aloft? You'll still have to carry both, but at least the 'headset' will be small.

hueyracer
17th Aug 2012, 05:15
Thanks for your answer...

I already checked the clarity aloft (has been recommended by a friend), but i am not sure about itīs proctectionin helicopter operations...

The noise level-especially when flying "doors off" is different from a normal "airplane cockpit..."...

I am checking the website of "Protec" right now-they offer a lightweight "Crew Helmet" that should work well with a headset (in their military line)...

170'
17th Aug 2012, 10:49
The DC K10 was a popular helmet back in the day. I wore one for years with the Oregon Aero upgrade. When the interior wore out, I continued with the standard interior. Keep in mind it's somewhere between a slap hat and a real helmet; so the decision is balancing your risk of catastrophic component failure (or just flying it into the ground) v the comfort and easy transportability of the K10 with a DC headset (assembled it fits into any suitcase)

http://www.oregonaero.com/aviation-helmet-upgrades/additional-helmet-upgrades

BTW: I use a Gallet 350 at the moment, but on long days sometimes change to the K10 for comfort-even though a co-pilot asked me last year if 'I'd made it myself' ;)

hueyracer
17th Aug 2012, 15:27
I knew a pilot who got killed BECAUSE he was wearing a helmet......

Flying in general is dangerous.....but i came to the conclusion that for ME the comfort (flying up to 10 hours in temps above 50°C) is more important than the (very unlikely) risk of crashing......I rather keep a "cool head" than "overheat"...

We are currently using the Gallet 250-and i HATE it...
Too bulky, too heavy, too hot (and it is only getting up to 50°C here...)..

The main purpose for this "helmet/headset-combo" would be longlining-doing that, i want to have some protection when sticking my head in/out of the cockpit (in some helicopters i tend to hit the doorframe with my head every now and then), and against some insects flying outside (hit a bee or bug one day only wearing a headset-PAINFUL!)...

I just received an answer from Protec, saying that their military helmets are designed to wear the headset BELOW the helmet....so this is the one i am going to try...

If anyone is interested-i will keep you informed...

Hawkeye0001
19th Aug 2012, 09:11
Check this out: Praetor Helmets (http://praetorhelmets.com/)
That should be exactly what you're looking for. And it doesn't look quite as stupid as the DC "helmet" :rolleyes:

Madbob
20th Aug 2012, 10:39
For a good reason why to wear a helmet look no further than todays post #5 on the thread about "two survive Hughes 500 crash". Look at about 40 seconds into the video and you'll see what looks like a well battered helmet that Hawkeye0001 is posting.

MB

Hawkeye0001
20th Aug 2012, 20:55
Still looks like it's in one piece though; certainly fulfilled its purpose. Would certainly have been a much worse outcome without one. And thank god for the MD's rollcage :D

I personally prefer a full helmet and a good headset to a headset-helmet any day. It might be a nuisance to carry the good ol' Gentex and the DC's around with you when you travel a lot but I don't really trust 'helmets' that you strap onto a headset with a piece of velcro. And quite frankly neither the DC nor the Praetor helmets are very fashionable in their design :rolleyes: