PDA

View Full Version : Concorde Enroute Chart

fchan
10th Aug 2012, 15:13
Does a Jepco Avigation Enroute Chart for Concorde on London, Paris, Washington routes have an interest/value to anyone? Looks as if BA were giving them out in 1976 as freebies. This isn't the version a pilot would use.

atb1943
14th Aug 2012, 18:51
Hi there,

I think you'll find that what you have is a pukka chart as used by BA for their trans-Atlantic operations. I recall we were chuffed to be asked to produce them considering that BA had their own charting division (AERAD). We asked them to sign a few of the originals, one of which was our centrepiece at Farnborough that year. We had a posh rosette printed with the date of the first commercial flight and the chart was suitably framed. A twin was presented to the BA Ops Director at the close of Concorde operations.

I still have a few of the final editions we supplied in March 1997, prior to AERAD taking over the job.

BA may have given away surplus stock as amended charts were produced, but there were never any made particularly for that purpose.

The original was the BA(HI)5, which changed in time to BAW(HI)5. It is depicted inside the front and back covers of Chris Orlebar's excellent book 'The Concorde Story' celebrating ten years of service in 1986.

Best regards,
atb

fchan
16th Aug 2012, 09:03
Thanks for info. It is a BA(HI)5 effective data 9 Sep 76. It is not in pristine condition but probably has not seen a cockpit in its life or else it maybe would be more worn.

No idea where my father in law got it from as he did not work in aviation, maybe from an airshow.

atb1943
20th Aug 2012, 23:30
I've done a bit of digging, and am told that the first issue was dated 21 May 1976, the first revised issue 11 June 76, and that there were a total of 39 re-issues before AERAD took over. I am not aware of the printing quantity but I guess it would have been a few hundred each time, allowing for onboard supply, simulator/training issues and shelf stock. We would also have had a few in stock to meet possible replenishment requests.

You still have the real thing, even though it may not have been carried on board.

The book mentioned above explains that...

these charts shows Concorde's west and east bound Atlantic tracks, 'SM' and 'SN' respectively;'SO' is a reserve track. Tha acceleration and deceleration points, labelled 'ACCEL' and 'DECEL', are the points respectively where Concorde either commences acceleration from Mach 0.95, or deceleration from Mach 2. However, the deceleration point is varied a few miles either side of the position shown depending on the conditions - aircraft altitude and forecast wind - prevalent on the day...

Hope this helps.

brgds
atb