PDA

View Full Version : Instructor employment in US

GonvilleBromhead
5th Apr 2002, 09:08
Just leading on from Bramsen's thread re: visa requirements in the US, can anyone tell me what the requirements are to obtain CFI and what the employment market is like out there once obtained ?

cheers.

easondown
5th Apr 2002, 09:27
You will have to complete the FAA PPL, CPL/IR single engine then you can do the CFI and CFII ratings if you wish.
Best going to one of the larger schools with lots of new students every month, who are able to provide you with the M1 or J1 visa. I did this and built about 1000 hours several years ago. Unless you do this or have a US passport it is difficult to obtain work legally !!!

jmore
5th Apr 2002, 09:43
hi there -with regards of what is nescessary to become a CFI in the states there is no need to have an FAA ppl if you already hold a british one -they will issue the ppl on the merits of your license,whenever you complete FAA commercial/ir training this becomes a stand alone license which is subject to none of the restrictions that your euro ppl may be -http://ecfr.access.gpo.gov/otcgi/cfr/otfilter.cgi?DB=3&query=14000000061&region=BIBSRT&action=view&SUBSET=SUBSET&FROM=1&SIZE=10&ITEM=1

this page will give you the requirements as laid out by 14cfr under part 61 flight crew licensing - subpart h 61.181 through to 61.201 will be of particular interest to you

as for employment prospects if you can get a j-1 visa (should be possible if you have to do the cpl/ir you can get a job flying out here no trouble however the area f instructing JAA licenses is a little shady right now so i would suggest looking into an FAA only school to save you Hassle with the politics-once you get a good school though you can be looking at 100hrs a month building during summer months especially if you are doing ppls in a nice clear weathered area

happy hunting!