PDA

View Full Version : RIP - Sir Bernard Lovell

alisoncc
8th Aug 2012, 05:57
Sir Bernard led the team that developed H2S radar, work for which he was later awarded the OBE.
Fair few V-Force PPruners around, who will remember the NBS systems and H2S radar.

aviate1138
11th Aug 2012, 08:44
Am I right in thinking that shortly after the war Prof RV Jones was instrumental in getting Sir Bernard some working German Radar items [Wurtzburg?], because they were so much more stable than anything we had manufactured, for inclusion in Sir BL's projects?

RIP Sir Bernard

India Four Two
12th Aug 2012, 05:53
alisoncc,

I think you are right, but I don't have access to my copy of RV Jones' "Most Secret War" - highly recommended.

The historian A. J. P. Taylor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._J._P._Taylor) described Most Secret War as "the most fascinating book on the Second World War that I have ever read" [10] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Victor_Jones#cite_note-9) and, more generally, it has acquired almost classic status.I remember at the end of the book, Jones discusses the teams that went out to Germany to recovery radar equipment and I think he mentioned that some of the equipment was passed on to universities.

Concerning stability, one of the pieces of evidence that Jones used to deduce that the Luftwaffe were using beams for bombing guidance (Knickebein), was an expert's observation that the Lorentz blind-landing receivers in a captured He 111 were far more accurate and stable than they needed to be for blind-landing.

waco
12th Aug 2012, 18:45
RIP Sir Bernard......loved your "light meters" at Old Trafford cricket ground.

If memories serve me right he has a waypoint named after him in the North West.

Another genuis has moved on..............

Kieron Kirk
12th Aug 2012, 19:12
alisoncc,

I think you are right, but I don't have access to my copy of RV Jones' "Most Secret War" - highly recommended.

Sir Bernard Lovell is indeed mentioned in R V Jones' book.

Ciarain.