View Full Version : If you want to pass-Avoid Tapash Kar.

Intruder101
7th Aug 2012, 18:34
Hello guys,
I would like to share with you all, How well Mr. Tapash Kar is and how good is his teachings.

Well, being a recent student of him(was my biggest mistake), i will share with you what was my personal experience with him...
Firstly, He is always late for class, if say, class is at 10, he never starts before 10:20-10:30. More than 10 times he cancelled the class in 1 month and 10 days tuition period. The irritating part comes he cancels it just half to 1 hour prior to class and even 4-5 times it happend i was standing just outside his tuition center, waiting for him to come and after half and hour he texts us that class is cancelled. Now this kind of behavior is not tolerable, specially for them driving all the way 30-40kms to his centre just to go back as the class was cancelled.

Secondly, and the most importantly, i recently gave 2nd Navigation attempt by reading and studying from Tapash kar's notes. Unfortunately, i again didn't pass. If i had to blame it could be only and only one person-Mr. Tapash Kar.
Well, He was a good teacher for nav before the syllabus was not put up by DGCA. But then he never changed his teaching style after even newer topics were added in our course.
Topics like GPS, ME/SE performance, DR Nav was never covered which almost comes for 7-8 crucial marks in our exam and the same was this time.
One day i even asked him to go through the ME/SE perf. as it was a important
topic- But the answer which i got was-"It never comes in the exams it used to, earlier".
I mean is this what i am really paying for...:confused:

He was and is the best tutor for Regulations but for Air Navigation(BIG NO), you should better find a new better teacher.

Ps-Anyone heard of Mr-S.P Singh navigation classes in SAS Aviation, Dwarka.?

Thanks.

LieDetector
7th Aug 2012, 19:15
Took classes from him yes he is lazy and not so punctual most of the time, but his notes and topics are good enough to pass the DGCA exams, in the end it is you who will be writing the exam and not him, most of my batch mates passed in the very first attempt.

The only reason I went to him was the size of the classes, not overcrowded like the other centres.

A very poor attempt to defame him.

stiknruddr
7th Aug 2012, 19:22
first of all,

dont blame the teacher.
even if he was deficient and unprofessional, it doesnt help you to pass blame.
its like flying, even if the controller makes a mistake, safety is the PIC responsibility.

regarding the people at SAS aviation,
i studied with them last winter for the OCT 11 session which happened in Dec.
i had just come home from canada for a winter break from training, after PPL there.
I started classes on 1st nov and had one month of classes for nav+met+regs all 3.
and I cleared all 3 in one shot with late 80s early 90s scores.
other students thr also scored well and almost all passed.

my feedback...
ill start with the Plus:
the instructors are thorough in the subject and professional in conduct.
they are all retired Air force officers and have good knowledge of their subjects.
they will give plenty of practice questions for homework and lots of practice tests close to the exam.

The minus:
the classroom they use is pretty basic, no A/C, basic chairs and they use a laptop if the want show u some slides or any visual material no projector etc , otherwise blackboard.
the price is a little steep. i paid 50K for 3 subjects and i think its gone up now.

if its convinient to u, go to them but be prepared to work hard.
SP singh teaches everything in the NAV syllabus and some extra stuff too.
he focuses on concepts rather than exam oriented teaching
he will never say anything if you dont do the practice questions and wont even follow up if u had any problems.
u have to be proactive and stop him or slow him down if u need help.

same with the Regs instructor, Gp capt chatterjee.
his style is very detailed and not exam oriented at all.
his notes are better than Bali and he even makes air regs interesting somehow.

Wether you choose them or not, give it your best and dont just wiat for the instructor to say we will cover this and not this.
you have the syllabus, insist on a topic if u must.

all the best to you and others who are getting ready for DGCA exams.

Intruder101
7th Aug 2012, 19:46
Lie detector- I said his notes were good enough before the new syllabus was put up by dgca. If i would have to place myself in studies- well i know myself better than you as to where i was standing in my preparation level, i didn't left anything from his notes apart from maps and charts. And leaving just 1 topic from this vast syllabus can't be the reason why i flunked.

A person who doesn't listen to anyone, does not even clear doubts of students in class, doesn't deserve to be a teacher at least in this profession. Students are also scared in class to ask doubts as he makes fun of them.
Lie Detector, now please don't say NO!

His facebook page states he has 100% pass rate in this times exam, well i and three of my close friends(from same flight school) didn't pass out of a batch of 10, does that make a 100% pass rate and dont you think he is cheating people by saying that, just to get students.
A person who himself is not cleared with his own exams can't guide anyone in the right way that i got to know.

Intruder101
7th Aug 2012, 19:56
Stiknruddr- i am familiar with the place as i took Rtr tuition from Mr. Chaterjee and cleared it in the first go.
It was the same time when i met Mr S.P Singh and sat down in his class where he was teaching Convergency to his batch. I liked the way he was teaching giving equal attention to his students.
Will give him a ring tomorrow morning.

Thanks alot.

VT-ASM
8th Aug 2012, 18:39
If you want to pass...Study hard yourself !!
Will save your parent's hard earned money and time.
All you need is the GSP and Oxford

Intruder101
8th Aug 2012, 21:11
5-6 hours a day is it what i am capable of. But if i am given incomplete notes how will pass. Given if i had to study from gsp and oxford only then i wouldn't have taken any tuitions. And MONEY does matter me a lot as i am trying to pay myself cutting all my extra cost from what i own from my company.

P.S- People this is just a suggestion from my side for what i have experienced, i am no-one to compel you to favor my decision and to go by my words. Everyone has it's own experiences, so was mine.

Thankyou.

bayblade
9th Aug 2012, 10:47
hi Intruder101,
a little off-topic but can you tell me if the exam paper covers the topics mentioned in syllabus? i know they ask FMS and EFIS related questions, but that's not a part of your syllabus. any more such topics?

flyboy410
9th Aug 2012, 12:55
5-6 hours a day is it what i am capable of.

That's just too less! A pal of mine had around 6.5 hours of classes five days a week. This had to be followed by about 3 hours of self study every day as well.

Buck up, mate. You're going to need a lot of grit if you want to get above the water.

bayblade
9th Aug 2012, 14:02
That's just too less! A pal of mine had around 6.5 hours of classes five days a week. This had to be followed by about 3 hours of self study every day as well.
now that's subjective. you can't possibly judge the time that he needs to put in. mind you friend, 5-6 hrs is quite a lot if he's working as well.

PPRuNe Towers
26th Aug 2012, 10:29
Dear me, cruisepatron shares the same connection as a user named, errr, Tapash Kar (http://www.pprune.org/admin/user.php?do=edit&u=386445)

Funny old world isn't it and just thought you'd want to know

thegrapevine
26th Aug 2012, 12:11
:}:}:D:D;) LMFAO!!!! Good one chief..... Now a very funny joke, he is strict, nobody can ask him a question.. iam sure all Tapash kar's student reading this post would be laughing like hell.. you made their day. . Now you are the joke, and m sure not just your students but everyone who reads this will laugh at you , you have definitely made my day! 😜😝

synthia331
7th Jan 2013, 03:20
I feel that Tapash Kar is a great teacher. He has taught students that have not only passed their conversion exams before obtaining their CPL, however he maintains a 100% pass rate. Yes as some people wonder how he says 100% when some students fail, however he maintains the 100% rate because those students go back to him for lessons and then eventually pass the exams.

jet_737ng
11th Jan 2013, 05:52
If want to pass first change your attitudes . From studying to pass exams start studying for knowledge . People who love aviation start studying long before they even think about becoming pilots . If you love aircrafts and flying you pass the exams without tuitions and special notes from coaching classes. Sorry for being preachy but pilots who just study for exams usually get roasted in the flight decks of airliners .....

And set of GPS or. Oxford is good enough to pass ...on your own ! Aviation is not high school where you get spoon fed for everything ... For that stay in your moms kitchens ....

P.s most coaching class walas any way have zero idea of flying . Having flown with two former coaching class pilots , can vouch they knew nothing about flying a plane , aerodynamics or navigation or meteorology or air law or airmanship and told them so on their face :hmm:

RkoSim
11th Jan 2013, 09:53
@jet 737ng correct mate.. even i never took any of these classes but only did self study n my flying in india and cleared each n every exam for cpl in the very first attempt..

ironbutt57
12th Jan 2013, 04:21
however he maintains the 100% rate because those students go back to him

In any normal world, that does NOT constitute a 100% pass rate...think about it...

tomphunk
14th Jan 2013, 18:57
Triend self study but dint work out, classes in hyderabad helped me out...