PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Altitudes

rotor67
7th Aug 2012, 16:37
Hello!

So in the Los Angeles area, we're having a bit of a problem with helicopter noise! Many "Home Owner Associations" are ganging up on the helicopter noise abatement, and want minimum altitudes for the greater LA area. They're asking for a 2000 AGL altitude, which won't work, puts us too close to the FW traffic. Example one of our tour pilots over Beverly Hills, and the LAPD ship asked him to come up to 2100 MSL, and a Mooney passed over him at 2350 MSL. It's a recipe for a midair. The FAA will be doing a year long study to gather enough data to make their conclusions. The home owners have asked if NYC can do it, then so can we!

We've had meetings with ENG, flight schools, and tour operators to "fly neighborly" and it's been working for the most part. But you do have the rogue pilot(s) who don't care, and continue to hurt the helicopter community as a whole. The PD and FD helicopters are exempt from any such rule(s), but they do follow the altitude rules though with flying neighborly for the most part. Example there was a man with a gun in our building near Marina Del Rey, and x2 PD ships orbiting at 300 agl for 1.45 hours...OK by me though...find the guy, which they didn't BTW. People complain about the PD ships orbiting trying to get the bad guy...REALLY...would you rather they be in your house?

I do understand the home owners frustration, but I have no sympathy for someone who lives within 3 miles of an airport, who complains about noise...REALLY! Did ya not see the airport when you bought the house! One lady at the meeting last night said that her property value will do down if this continues...CRY ME A RIVER! She lives near the Robinson Factory, and yes they fly along the beach at 300-500 agl. Does she have any idea how much $ Robinson dumps into the local economy? Not including the twice a month pilot safety course too!

I'm done RANTING! SO...from my prequel story...which leads to my question....
What are the minimum altitudes for your area outside of an airport? Is it fly neighborly, or 500-1000+ agl? We typically fly from 700-1000 agl for the most part.
Thanks in advance...thanks for letting me RANT!
Cheers
Rob

GoodGrief
7th Aug 2012, 16:52
We have the most stupid rule in Germany. As soon as you leave the pattern outbound you are considered flying cross country and have therefore to maintain 2000ft AGL. If you don't and someone comes after you, you'll be dragged to court.

If you want to go lower as AOC holder, you have to buy permissions...

hillberg
7th Aug 2012, 20:25
Can't do anything to make the A-holes happy, Even with 3,000' & wisper mode like Blue Thunder, They will drive out everything that flys,Period.
Seen it with Los Angeles Airways. Give the idiots that moved in next to an Air Port an inch they will close the joint. seen it over & over.:mad: them.

timprice
7th Aug 2012, 20:50
When your on the ground that's minimum altitude,
also minimum risk.;)