PDA

View Full Version : Another question from a fixed wing pilot.

Lancair70
7th Aug 2012, 04:46
Hi there, if you are an appropriately licenced helicopter pilot and either own or operate an aircraft privately, what rules and regs are there that say where you can and cannot land and takeoff from ? Quite obviously you have a lot more ability to land and take off where you want compared to fixed wing.

IE:, if I own my own helicopter, can I land and takeoff from my own property ?
I assume there would be similar considerations in determining if the site is suitable for helicopter ops, similar to fixed wing landing areas.
In particular Im interested in the rules pertaining to helicopter operations in Australia.

Andrew

topendtorque
7th Aug 2012, 06:12
Absolutely no difference, except we do it differently, straight down instead flying around in ever decreasing circles.

Where you can land may be limited within some Local Government areas, regardless of land ownership.

Public lands other than licensed landing areas are for emergency only usually, all private and public land carries the caveat of owners permission. (it's in the regs.)

Apart from local Govt restrictions which may exist, you can land or build a private airstrip / helipad anywhere on property of your own, and land on it without a low flying authorization provided it fits the A/C performance specs. and is outside all other airspace restricted areas that are promulgated from time to time.

You cannot fly below 500 feet AGL anywhere unless landing, taking off or conducting authorized low level aerial work.

And, a good tip is, never fly where you might expect F/W to be, they travel much faster and cannot see you if you are slightly below the horizon.

John Eacott
7th Aug 2012, 10:48
Hi there, if you are an appropriately licenced helicopter pilot and either own or operate an aircraft privately, what rules and regs are there that say where you can and cannot land and takeoff from ? Quite obviously you have a lot more ability to land and take off where you want compared to fixed wing.

IE:, if I own my own helicopter, can I land and takeoff from my own property ?
I assume there would be similar considerations in determining if the site is suitable for helicopter ops, similar to fixed wing landing areas.
In particular Im interested in the rules pertaining to helicopter operations in Australia.

Andrew

Andrew,

NSW cities are difficult/impossible, country areas less so. Victoria is extremely difficult as a previous State Gummint mandated that heliports are deemed to require a planning permit: and heliport wasn't properly defined, so there have been numerous court battles on that alone! Other States are far less onerous. There is a CAAP which covers helipad specifications, as always it is 'Advisory' until the brown stuff hits and you haven't taken CASA's advice!

If you are planning on a regular operation it will be almost certain that an EIS will be called for by one authority or another, and that will be somewhere north of $A50k :ooh: Movements per day/week may well be limited, but search Rotorheads and you'll find plenty of advice on setting up neighbourly pads. First requirement, take all of your neighbours for a flight, give a BBQ, anything to make sure that they'll support the planning application!

I still use my back paddock for landings, although development means it is done more to maintain the right than by need. After <30 years of landings, it helps to ensure that any newcomers are aware ;)

John Eacott
7th Aug 2012, 10:54
And, a good tip is, never fly where you might expect F/W to be, they travel much faster and cannot see you if you are slightly below the horizon.

TET,

You've been bush too long: I've just been slowing down to avoid the spamcans and that was only in a Squirrel. Let's not mention A109's ;)

Good point, though :ok:

Colibri49
7th Aug 2012, 11:35
Does Australia have the 28 day rule, such as exists in the UK? It states (roughly) that you can land/take off from any private land with the landowner's permission for up to 28 days in a calendar year, without having to get planning permission for change of use of that land.

On any one of those 28 days, you can land/take off as many times as you like, with as many different aircraft as you like (hold a mini-airshow), but it still only counts for one of the 28 days.

Probably some people operate from private land in the UK and don't bother to keep accurate records of the number of days/dates when doing so. They just rely on the friendliness of neighbours not to keep a close count of movements, or to report them to the authorities.

After 10 years with proof of operating from your own land without official complaints from neighbours, you can apply to the local authorities for change of use to become an airfield and they can't refuse you. But no doubt they'll charge you increased rates for the privilege.

John Eacott
7th Aug 2012, 11:48
Colibri,

No.

Lancair70
8th Aug 2012, 07:14
Thanks for the replies guys. Its definately not me thinking of flying any helicopters anywhere. LOL. No offence intended.
Its my uncle that I was asking on behalf of. He has a neighbour on the sunshine coast, who flies his R44 (I think? may be a 22) In and out of a clear piece of his own land. I believe its only occasionally, the aircraft is normally stored elsewhere. Some of the neighbours have complained, my uncle thinks it's great having a chopper fly up the little valley and land all within view of his verandah. One neighbour says his enquiries have revealed the pilot needs specific approval from the local council ? Which he apparently doesn't have.

Personally I think he should be allowed to land there, Ive seen him land there once. From what I've heard and indeed the day I saw him land, he only ever uses it in very calm weather, it does require an approach up a small valley which on windy days I wouldnt think would be ideal.

Andrew