PDA

View Full Version : H.P. Factory Image

Nervous SLF
7th Aug 2012, 03:21
As a dim computer user I happened to find this information but have no idea what it means so can anyone please tell me?

Hard Disk Drive

H.P. ( C: ) 340GB free of 455GB

Factory_Image ( D: ) 1.08GB free of 10.2 GB

What is this Factory Image and can or should I delete it ?

Spitoon
7th Aug 2012, 04:11
It's a back up of the software that was installed when you bought it. It includes the OS and is usually the only copy you have of the software. You may find that there is a way to make a DVD copy of this back up which would be useful if, for example, the HDD failed and you had to replace it.

Simple answer - NO, don't delete it.

Loose rivets
7th Aug 2012, 06:10
One reason I don't buy some makes.

It is often a PITA to grab back drive D. I want C, D & E for ME. No one else - not even if they made the computer.

Also, I want to make C the size I want it. i. e. smaller, so I don't want unmovable hidden files stuck at the high end. Capiche?

Keef
7th Aug 2012, 09:54
... and anyway, if the hard drive dies, D will be as lost as C. I'd prefer they spent the other 50 pence and gave me a DVD with the software on for a repair job.

Loose rivets
7th Aug 2012, 16:11
If only it would be possible to have a restoration disk that one could set as one wants it. On cleaning up my HP PC after several years, I was put back to square one. My partitions were gone, and all HP's :mad: was back.

One did a lot of :ugh::ugh: