PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Management

newtoflying
6th Aug 2012, 15:27
Hi

I am curious about aircraft management companies and wonder if anyone has any experience of them? For example, what makes a good management company and how do/did people find their current management company?

Thanks for any info.

nopax
6th Aug 2012, 22:58
A good aircraft management company should consist of transparent books, be familiar with your type of aircraft, and the ins and outs of maintenance.

Some of the best aircraft management companies I have seen around (in the US), have strong maintenance support and an experienced operations manager.

Depending on the size of the aircraft, and scope of the operation, a good aircraft management company will be able to handle owner and crew travel arrangements and needs, hotels, meals and expenses, and supplemental lift if/when the aircraft is down for maintenance. Some may suggest an interchange lease agreement with other aircraft owners to provide lift when their aircraft is unavailable.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to post them.

Miles Magister
7th Aug 2012, 08:23
NTF

I have retired from the business these days but have some considerable and recent experience in the field. So if you would like an impartial chat and some friendly opnions then please PM me.

Regards
MM

JB in Aviation
31st Aug 2012, 13:03
NTF, Nopax gives a great response to your question.

No every Operator fits all. At first glance the business models of aircraft management companies seem comparable. But further analysis of the core competencies of each operator can reveal their primary strategy, for example:

-If Aircraft Management is the core business segment, the operators enitre organization is geared towards offering the highest levels of client service for aircraft owners - also known as "turn-key" Aircraft Management.

- If Maintenance is the core business segment, Aircraft Management is seen as a "feeder" to the maintenance business and often the Aircraft Management services are discounted as a means to obtain the more lucrative maintenance services.

- if Aircraft Sales is the core business segment the operator may be linked in some way to an aircraft manufacturer or broker. Again, the aircraft sales opportunity is finanically much more rewarding than Aircraft Managment.

Look for companies that fulfill some of the key elements to satisfy the core needs of an aircraft owner:

-An uncompromising approach to safety
- A client service structure focused on you
- Protecting the value of your asset
- Risk Management

Transparency is also key in a good Aircraft Management Model as mentioned by Nopax.

I too am happy to provide you with any further assistance...

Regards.

Booglebox
31st Aug 2012, 22:01
"JB in Aviation" makes some good points, but top tip: apart from a few exceptions, there are few outfits with a "core business segment".
The core business depends on whatever they think they can make the most money out of at the time, and the arrival of your a/c may change that substantially (e.g. if your interior is scruffy and you want a new one, the "core business" is suddenly "completions")
IMO, apart from great service which is a given, perhaps the most important thing for an a/c owner is transparent invoicing, so that you can see where your money is going / how much your a/c is making.
Management companies often survive on the profit generated by clients who could spend less and get better service elsewhere. Take advantage of this.