PDA

View Full Version : Command line access to My Computer

peterh337
6th Aug 2012, 12:04
This one will have a cunning solution - if any :)

I have a directory like this:

My Computer\Nokia 700\MicroSD\Temp2\resource\apps

which can be browsed in Windows (XP) Explorer.

I need to get command line access to it. But CMD can access only drives like c: etc.

The purpose is to be able to do clever wildcard stuff e.g. del *.r?04

PhineasC
6th Aug 2012, 12:19
It should be possible to find the file via a drive, in XP the my documents folder is in C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents.

You can try searching for one of the files you know to be in the directory.

You may have issues with spaces in file and directory names iirc the spaces are decorated

Mac the Knife
6th Aug 2012, 12:32
Add Open Command Window Here to XP Folder with PowerToy « My Digital Life (http://www.mydigitallife.info/add-open-command-window-here-to-xp-folder-with-powertoy/)

peterh337
6th Aug 2012, 13:03
That's a great utility - just installed it, but it doesn't work (it isn't available in the pulldown menu) for paths such as the one I posted.

green granite
6th Aug 2012, 13:16
Try:
Click on the \"Start\" button and click on \"Run\" option. Type \"explorer\" in the text box and hit the \"Enter\" key or click \"OK\" button.
This will access the \"My Computer\" tool and will display all the folders in a high-level view.

Bern Oulli
6th Aug 2012, 13:31
What is wrong with going to My Computer\Nokia 700\MicroSD\Temp2\resource\apps
Then "Search" *.r?04
Select all
Right click "delete"
?
Or am I missing your point?

Saab Dastard
6th Aug 2012, 13:45
Peter,

The folder you want will be located on a local hard disk, and will therefore be amenable to addressing via its full path, including drive letter, which is what you require for CLI processing.

As others have said, you need to find the full path rather than the symbolic link (I assume that's what we are talking about here).

Once you have the full path, you can either work with it directly or by using SUBST to create a shorter path (there's also a visual subst utility available).

SD

peterh337
6th Aug 2012, 14:14
The folder you want will be located on a local hard diskIt ought to be but I cannot find it.

What is wrong with going to My Computer\Nokia 700\MicroSD\Temp2\resource\apps
Then "Search" *.r?04
Select all
Right click "delete"The search function is not available on that path.

Basically I think the Nokia 700 is not being presented as a logical drive.

This might be the same issue with Canon cameras; they come up as "imaging device" not as a block device which can then have a drive letter, and XP's Explorer cannot access the pics properly (it can see jpegs but not raw files), whereas win7's Explorer does work properly.

peterh337
7th Aug 2012, 09:51
Yes I thought of that, and it is a lot quicker too, but it works only for the SD card and not for the phone memory.

Interesting that, as I expected of this old chestnut, there doesn't seem to be a solution.

There may be something on Sysinternals, but life is short...

Keef
7th Aug 2012, 09:52
Does Nokia hide the directory? I can't see any reason, otherwise, why a command line operation wouldn't find it and act on it. I have some automated backup routines that work with directory structures like that.

peterh337
7th Aug 2012, 16:13
There may indeed be a way to access it from the command line; for example one can access network paths.

But I have done a lot of googling and cannot see any way to do this one.

My Windows knowledge is only what one gets from many years of installing and maintaining it etc and as I said above I think the issue is that the phone is not a "block device". All the USB sticks etc appear as a block device and the USB spec has a standard profile for that. Canon, on their S90 etc little cameras decided to be clever and use the "imaging device" USB profile and M$ had to do a special hack on Windows Explorer (poorly on XP but OK on 7) to make the file system appear like a normal one so you could drag/drop.

In the Nokia 700 case I have tried the win7 Explorer too but it doesn't work any better.

The reason I am digging around this is here (http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Nokia-700-PLEASE-HELP-low-c-space/m-p/1518704/highlight/false#M296717). Life is too short to spend too much time on sorting out a bl00dy phone :ugh: but this issue is worth sorting. There is a 3rd party file browser on the (jailbroken) phone but its functionality is extremely tedious, which is why I would like to be able to browse the filing system on a PC.

ExGrunt
8th Aug 2012, 14:18
Are there any other removable/network drives attached?

Once windows has assigned a drive letter to a removable device it will always reuse that letter for that device. If another drive uses the same letter then when you insert the remoavble drive it will be invisible.

This may be part of the issue.

EG

peterh337
8th Aug 2012, 15:10
Not AFAIK. The N700 phone never appeared as a drive letter.

BOAC
8th Aug 2012, 16:37
Does it show in Computer Management/Disk Management?

peterh337
8th Aug 2012, 21:33
No..................

Saab Dastard
8th Aug 2012, 22:14
Peter,

I understand what you mean now - a portable USB device. I don't have that phone but I do have a Samsung U5 MP3 player that exhibits the same behaviour in Win 7 (no longer have XP).

I found some interesting references to Windows media player 11 :yuk: that may be part of the problem, and to the drivers associated with the device. For example:
Windows XP: windows XP portable device, MP3 player, USB device (http://en.allexperts.com/q/Windows-XP-3282/2010/10/windows-XP-portable-device.htm)

Perhaps there's something there that may point towards a resolution.

SD

peterh337
9th Aug 2012, 09:36
I have made a partial breakthrough...

To a file explorer running in the phone, there are drives c: d: e: where e: is a micro-SD card.

Deep in the phone settings, I can make the phone's USB port look like

Mass storage
Media transfer
Nokia suite
Use phone as a modem

I had it set to Nokia suite. Setting it to Mass storage reveals d: and e: as drive letters :ok: I still cannot see c: but that's probably because Nokia deliberately block it when the "mass storage" mode is activated. For hacked phones, there are drive remapping utilities that achieve that ;)