PDA

View Full Version : UK flight training

kram
4th Apr 2002, 21:32
Hi,

I have been reading this form for quite a while now and have noticed in the UK when people are training to ATPL level they finish their PPL then start studying ATPL theory. In Australia the path to ATPL usually is PPL, CPL, ME/IR, ATPL theory.

Can someone let me know the path usually taken to reach ATPL level in the UK.

I'm also curious of the cost, usual price in Australia is anywhere from 30k to 50k (AUD) if not training at the big schools like Bae.

Cheers

niallcooney
4th Apr 2002, 22:59
Kram,

Great name, did you know what that translates into in Swedish? Anyway, as you said, the normal path in Europe is PPL, IMC, Night, Multi, CPL/IR and ATPL. Some do start the ATPL after the ATPL as it save time and helps alot with the CPL theory.

Cheers,
Niall

FlyingForFun
5th Apr 2002, 07:11
You can't start the CPL course in the UK until you have completed the theory - either ATPL theory, or CPL theory (which isn't very much different to ATPL theory).....

FFF
------------

RowleyUK
5th Apr 2002, 07:27
The IMC is not an essential part of the path to ATPL....At around £2,500 i wonder wether the money would maybe be better off spent on some multi IR hours or it could even cover the whole of a distance learning course? Although i do accept it is useful whilst building your 100 hrs P1.

It is a perfectly good rating......but once agin i say it is optional.

redsnail
5th Apr 2002, 08:21
Kram,
I can tell you it is bloody expensive.
To "convert" an Aus ATPl to a JAR one is $35,000A (with 500 hours multi crew). If you don't have that it is $50,000A.
To do a course here from scratch you are looking at any where from 35,000 pounds to over 50,000 pounds. (ie $100,000 to $140,000). (always remember to factor in +20% costs and +50% of time required)

Most of the guys on my ATPL theory course got a PPL first. Then did the ATPL theory, toddled off to either the USA or Oz and built up some hours. Now they are wrestling with the CPL/IR flight training.

yoohoo748
6th Apr 2002, 00:50
Really. Hmm, a buddy of mine came back to canada from the UK and said to convert his Canadian ATPL to the JAR equivelant he would be looking at less than 5,000 pounds. Then I hear this. I am serious about moving over to the UK to work, but I think I'll have to get this straightened out first. 5,000 is very affordable, but 20+ pounds might be a stretch right now. Can someone point me in the right direction for a good school or the proper agency that can answer more of my questions. I have a lot of them, and they don't seem to be getting answered correctly.
Oh.. and I have a canadian (ICAO) ATPL with a couple thousand multi/2 crew command hours if that helps with any answers.

redsnail
6th Apr 2002, 08:26
Yoohoo 748, have a look around here (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk) and look for the various documents relating to the JAR ATPL.

It is a lot cheaper if you have over 1500 hours (command?) in 30+ tonne aircraft in international operations. Then I think you need to do Air Law and Human Performance and a check ride.

If you don't, then it will cost in Australian $ what I have quoted. (unless you can live for free etc)

oxford blue
6th Apr 2002, 12:10
Yoohoo 748, if you want a school that will give you straight answers, try [http://www.oxfordaviation.net/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=7

yoohoo748
6th Apr 2002, 16:26
Thanks.