PDA

View Full Version : The US and A flag raising.

tonker
5th Aug 2012, 11:12
I'm sorry, this video has no relevance to military aviation except for one unique point. You lot have a good sense of humour.

Wait till end, and no Bruno doesn't come out naked riding a pony...

LiveLeak.com - Blunder at the Olympics!!!

It would be the American flag wouldn't it?:O

glad rag
5th Aug 2012, 11:20
They get quite [rightly] upset about their flag touching the ground, history and all that....

Duncan D'Sorderlee
5th Aug 2012, 11:46
Personally, I think that it is absolutely shocking that the crowd clapped and cheered. What must the winning American competitors have thought? Absolutely disgraceful.

Duncs:ok:

SirToppamHat
5th Aug 2012, 11:47
At least it was the right flag this time!

tommee_hawk
5th Aug 2012, 11:54
The crowd seem to be cheering Serena Williams for winning gold, not being offensive to the USA. This was a simple technical failure - don't "Daily Mail" it!

Load Toad
5th Aug 2012, 12:26
God almighty - we get affronted over such trivial sh1te whilst there are big and real problems to go sort out.

BEagle
5th Aug 2012, 12:37
Maybe it's an omen.......:uhoh:

But honestly, can't the sports day people even secure a flag to a hoist?

Pretty shambolic effort....

wokkamate
5th Aug 2012, 12:56
oh dear oh dear. If you look closely at who is standing under the flags, I can only assume it was them who attached it......more Junior Service Olympic flag glory! ;)

Kitbag
5th Aug 2012, 13:08
Always thought it was US of A. Perhaps thread starters should get their posts checked for error?

T.R Haychemu
5th Aug 2012, 13:15
Perhaps Kitbag should watch some more films to pick up on the 'US and A' and Bruno references.......if you haven't got anything worthwhile to say...:rolleyes:

Kitbag
5th Aug 2012, 13:16
Fella, you'll have to give me a steer on that, then.

racedo
5th Aug 2012, 13:23
oh dear oh dear. If you look closely at who is standing under the flags, I can only assume it was them who attached it......more Junior Service Olympic flag glory!

I'm with you on that as have attended one of the events where medals given out and its the service who attach.

To be fair though they attach, not tie on so given wind conditions its not a shock.

BEagle
5th Aug 2012, 13:24
Actually, I think you'll find that it was Sacha Baron Cohen as 'Borat' who first used the phrase 'U S and A' in the movie Borat – Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.

Sacha Baron Cohen later starred (?) in the movie Brüno as a gay Austrian fashion journalist.....

Kitbag
5th Aug 2012, 13:29
Thank you Beagle I understand now. Fortunately I shall always have something better to do than SBC.

Basil
5th Aug 2012, 13:37
You couldn't make it up! Just as the National Anthem gets to " . . the flag was still there . . "

Without making excuses, I noticed that the wind eddies rotated the flag in the same direction around its supports several times. Perhaps a spiral hook device was thereby defeated?

Historical note: " . . the flag was still there . . " refers to an incident in the War of 1812 of which this year is the 200th anniversary.

SASless
5th Aug 2012, 13:46
Seems Romney was far more correct in his comments than the Media and Brits have given him credit for!

Standard flag snap hooks as used on any Sail Boatt Signal Halyard would prevent that from happening.....and they cost a heap....like less than a Quid each for the pretty brass style.

I would not suggest a conspiracy....but would offer up incompetence as being the cause of the problem.

Maybe next time London gets the Olympics they can do a better job.

This one has sure been a series of cockups!

diginagain
5th Aug 2012, 14:24
This one has sure been a series of cockups! ...and Atlanta went ever so well, didn't it?

SASless
5th Aug 2012, 14:31
I do believe the comparison has been to the Salt Lake City games actually.

Atlanta was doomed from the Git Go....if you have ever been to that fair city you would understand.

NutLoose
5th Aug 2012, 14:34
All they have to tell the American public is the flag remained stationary, the UK simply rose up 50 odd feet.... They Swallowed what Bush told them, so this is an easy one to get past them.

downsizer
5th Aug 2012, 15:35
This thread is typical of pprune these days. Fcuk all to do with mil aviation....

NutLoose
5th Aug 2012, 15:47
I believe the winners sister once dated some guy in the US Navy who knew a pilot that once served. :E

wokkamate
5th Aug 2012, 16:11
and there are a couple of aircrew in the flag party!

NutLoose
5th Aug 2012, 17:11
Explains it falling off then :E

Basil
5th Aug 2012, 17:19
This one has sure been a series of cockups!
Do you really think so?
I'm relieved that it's gone so well and Boris is going to be PM.

Last bit just joking ;)

NutLoose
5th Aug 2012, 17:43
I just cannot believe how well we are doing in the rankings, and good on them.. Nice to see all the services along the course of the marathon applauding the athletes and seeming to be having a good time at all the events.

diginagain
5th Aug 2012, 17:47
Spoiled only by the occasional injection of sour-grapes...

Roadster280
5th Aug 2012, 17:49
Ahem. Well we got a nice new road out of it, that we're still paying for. And a nice new stadium for the Braves. And the university has some halls for its students that used to be the Olympic village.

But yeah, downtown ATL might as well be downtown Soweto with shiny buildings.

Jayand
5th Aug 2012, 21:19
Jesus wept, somebody made a mistake! nobody died, get a grip it's just a flag.

Heathrow Harry
6th Aug 2012, 07:21
they don't take that attitude in the USA

here in the UK we haul up a flag and then leave it to weather to a rag (look outside any big hotel)

In the USA it's sacred ..... they have Flag Laws etc etc

comes of being a newly independent nation I guess

salad-dodger
6th Aug 2012, 08:00
comes of being a newly independent nation I guess

A minor correction

S-D

Jayand
6th Aug 2012, 09:13
July the 4th.

salad-dodger
6th Aug 2012, 10:25
6th August today according to my calendar.

SASless
6th Aug 2012, 11:46
Just a Flag....to the Obama's and some others maybe....but not to Americans. We see it as the symbol of our Nation and remember how it represents a nation forged by combat against an oppressive government....a war that made us very free people and gave birth to a Nation founded upon Individual Liberty.

Nope....not just a piece of Cloth folks....we see things a bit differently on this side of the Salt Water Divide.

That being said...we would be just as aghast at what happened had it been the Nigerian flag....well not actually,,,but bothered to some extent as we should all be at such a thing happening. Cannot they get something this simple....done properly?

Thelma Viaduct
6th Aug 2012, 12:06
US & A is correct, as is Micky Mouse.

PTT
6th Aug 2012, 12:11
combat against an oppressive governmentTerrorism, then? :E

salad-dodger
6th Aug 2012, 12:19
That being said...we would be just as aghast at what happened had it been the Nigerian flag....well not actually,,,but bothered to some extent as we should all be at such a thing happening.
get down off your high horse fella. For whatever reason, it was unintentional. No one deliberately disrespected your flag, or others for that matter (N Korea), no one deliberately decided to drop your flag, ground it or anything else.

As to your final, typically daft, supercilious question:
Cannot they get something this simple....done properly?
If you were watching the Olympics you'd already know the answer :ugh:

S-D

BEagle
6th Aug 2012, 13:24
In the USA it's sacred ..... they have Flag Laws etc etc

Indeed! At Barksdale AFB in 1979, we were rather surprised to see a whole row of Union Flags without the St. Patrick's cross - the pre-1801 version - and queried whether this was some questionable demonstration of pro-republican support for a united Ireland, or what.....

The 'conversation' took place after the Giant Voice banquet in the O Club dining room after copious libations, so perhaps wasn't really all that serious.

We agreed with a B-52 captain and his BN that UK hono(u)r would only be satisfied by the 'donation' of a suitable 'gizzit' - so one of those very posh Stars and Stripes jobs, complete with gold tassels and cords, mounted on a pole stuck up a golden duck's arse, found its way into the unsuspecting DetCo's golf bag, which we were taking back to the UK in our mighty Tin Triangle. But we had to assure the Buff chums that Old Glory would be treated respectfully.

And so it was.....until it was auctioned off at the 35 Sqn disbandment dinner at RAF Scampton some years late and £25 went into the bar kitty!

minigundiplomat
6th Aug 2012, 13:29
If the UK is competing as Team GB, does that mean the yanks are competing as 'Team America'?

Heathrow Harry
6th Aug 2012, 16:25
"Cannot they get something this simple....done properly? "

Pot - kettle -black

Atlanta’s flag insult shows how Canada forgives, inspires | SaportaReport (http://saportareport.com/blog/2012/06/atlantas-flag-insult-shows-how-canada-forgives-and-inspires/)

and that was the US marines - with the CANADIAN flag upside down............... :ok::ok:

Heathrow Harry
6th Aug 2012, 16:27
"as auctioned off at the 35 Sqn disbandment dinner at RAF Scampton some years late and £25 went into the bar kitty!"

So THAT's where it came from - we turned it into a rug for the dog's basket.............

El Grifo
6th Aug 2012, 18:46
They can always chuck it into the washing machine !

After all "These colours don't run" :ok:

Jayand
6th Aug 2012, 20:30
It's a piece of cloth whatever you say and it was an accident. You should pay more attention to the customs and beliefs of other countries and then perhaps fewer Countries in the world would despise you and by association us.

Two's in
6th Aug 2012, 21:45
For the terminally bored, it's all in a riveting publication called the United States Code (USC) , Title 4, Chapter 1. Sub para f is obviously a building tip, and sub para i has never been read by any business owners in the US. As for all the smart aleck remarks about needing a Government Code regarding handling of the flag, at least it removes all doubt on the correct way to treat it. Interesting that sub para k endorses flag burning - kind of!

USC
EXPCITE-
TITLE 4 - FLAG AND SEAL, SEAT OF GOVERNMENT, AND THE STATES
CHAPTER 1 - THE FLAG

-HEAD-
Sec. 8. Respect for flag

-STATUTE-
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of
America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing.
Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional
flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down,
except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger
to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the
ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but
always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or
drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in
folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and
red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle,
and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk,
draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored
in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or
damaged in any way.
(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of
it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure,
design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving,
holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any
manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as
cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise
impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed
for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be
fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or
athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the
uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of
patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and
is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin
being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a
fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way,
preferably by burning.

juliet
6th Aug 2012, 22:14
Considering how Phelps didn't have the decency to stop talking to his mate, or to take his foot off the dais, while the bronze medal was given out in one of his medal ceremonies I don't think the yanks can claim the moral high ground. They are very respectful of their own, not really of others.

Heathrow Harry
7th Aug 2012, 12:28
"The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any
manner whatsoever"

half of America will be in the slammer...................

BEagle
7th Aug 2012, 13:38
The flag should never

In modern English, 'should' is used to indicate a strong, yet non-mandatory recommendation........:hmm:

However, I hope whoever it was who was responsible for the sports day flag cock-up will at least have apologised with all sincerity.

Shack37
7th Aug 2012, 14:04
We agreed with a B-52 captain and his BN that UK hono(u)r would only be satisfied by the 'donation' of a suitable 'gizzit' - so one of those very posh Stars and Stripes jobs, complete with gold tassels and cords, mounted on a pole stuck up a golden duck's arse, found its way into the unsuspecting DetCo's golf bag, which we were taking back to the UK in our mighty Tin Triangle. But we had to assure the Buff chums that Old Glory would be treated respectfully.

And so it was.....until it was auctioned off at the 35 Sqn disbandment dinner at RAF Scampton some years late and £25 went into the bar kitty

However, I hope whoever it was who was responsible for the sports day flag cock-up will at least have apologised with all sincerity.

Pot, kettle, black or what? Hypocrisy on a grand scale!

BEagle
7th Aug 2012, 14:26
You do spout bolleaux! We treated the US flag with every respect whilst it was in our custody en-route to the UK, keeping the promise we'd made to the B-52 folk.

Whereas this was an avoidable cock-up.

Jayand
7th Aug 2012, 15:24
"avoidable" as was the shooting down of a IX Sqn tornado by a Patriot crew! It's a piece of cloth put it into perspective!

Shack37
7th Aug 2012, 15:40
You do spout bolleaux! We treated the US flag with every respect whilst it was in our custody en-route to the UK, keeping the promise we'd made to the B-52 folk.

Whereas this was an avoidable cock-up.

And auctioning this flag to gain £25 for the "bar kitty" was a calculated and deliberate insult. You can't even claim it was a "cock-up".

The Helpful Stacker
7th Aug 2012, 15:52
As an Anglo-American can I just say I don't really give a hoot.

It isn't as if the RAF personnel set fire to the flag and ran about screaming "down with the Great Satan" but even if they did, it is a piece of cloth.

Perspective is required, as 'Jayand' touched upon.

BEagle
7th Aug 2012, 15:55
The flag in question was auctioned by the Sqn Cdr for the benefit of the disbanding squadron members present some 30 years ago. What the winner later did with the flag was something for his own conscience, I guess.....

Failing to secure a nation's flag at such a high profile event as the award of Olympic medals was a significant cock-up. The two events are not comparable.

The engagement of the IX Sqn Tornado was avoidable - as was the netting of a Tornado in Gulf War 1 by a Saudi ATC controller, who raised the wrong barrier at night - and political sensitivities meant that this wasn't actually mentioned in the Accident Report....:rolleyes:

Shack37
7th Aug 2012, 16:16
[QUOTE]
Failing to secure a nation's flag at such a high profile event as the award of Olympic medals was a significant cock-up. The two events are not comparable.
[QUOTE]

To use you're own brand of adjectives, bolleaux, cobblers and sh1te.
One was an accidental "cock-up", the other was a deliberate act of disrespect, however long ago, by a Sqn Cdr who should have known better. In that respect you are correct in saying "The two events are not comparable"

SASless
7th Aug 2012, 16:34
It is fair to say to the Brits the American Flag is just a piece of cloth. It is also fair to say that to an American it is far more than a piece of cloth.

In Nigeria, a British couple had a US Flag they were using as a table cloth. At a party I noticed that and offered to buy the flag from them for a very fair sum. They snottily rejected both my offer and then my concern about the message they were giving their American guests and neighbors.

In the end I got the Flag....and the fellow did not get his Ass kicked.

It took the insistence of a fellow Brit to get that accomplished as he saw some serious debate should the sale or change of manner of display not be made.

I would not begin to insult others in such a manner and do not wish to be insulted either. We should all respect one another just as a matter of good manners.

charliegolf
7th Aug 2012, 17:42
It is fair to say to the Brits the American Flag is just a piece of cloth. It is also fair to say that to an American it is far more than a piece of cloth.

Not to me Sas, and neither is my own. But: you can buy stars and stripes underpants in America; and the '72 Olympic swimmers wore s&s Speedos. I was at the ladies' footie semi at Old Trafford last night: every kind of yank wore every kind of Old Glory in every style you can imagine, and some sat on them. The flag of each nation WAS grounded for the anthems, which were sung or respected depending on your support. I detected no offence except for the referee (she was crap).

I read your posts with interest, usually agree. Think you are wrong here.

Regards,

CG

The Helpful Stacker
7th Aug 2012, 17:54
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg808/scaled.php?tn=0&server=808&filename=df1we.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
Classy and respectful.:rolleyes:

Makes me proud to be American.

Gemini Twin
7th Aug 2012, 18:19
It was an accident, get off your high horse. The flag is absused every day in the land of the free, mostly by red neck hypocritical southern repulicans. Sample :

American Flag Wall of Shame

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/granby_t.jpg (http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/granby.jpg)
Click for enlargement.
These flags are flying at half staff and have been for over a week when the US flag and State of CT flag should be flying at full staff. The US flag is ripped and tattered. The flag of Japan flies from the same halyard below the US Flag. These flags and three more on the premises are all flying at half staff. They are flying on the grounds of the Granby Middle and High School complex, Granby, Connecticut. Picture credit: WeThePeopleGranby.com
Submitted by Terry White
"When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace." (Flag Code, Section 7g)
"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning." (Flag Code, Section 8k)
Section 7m. specifies the occasions upon which the flag may be flown at half-staff.
When the US flag is at half-staff, other foreign national flags are flown at full staff alongside the US flag flag. (Reference: Department of the Army Pamphlet 600–60 (http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/p600_60.pdf))

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/flaginbushes.jpg
Flag hangs in the bushes at a business in Smyrna, Delaware
Submitted by Pam
"No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America." (Flag Code, Section 8)
"The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise." (Flag Code, Section 8b)

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/apartment-therapy1_t.jpg (http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/apartment-therapy1.jpg)http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/apartment-therapy2_t.jpg (http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/apartment-therapy2.jpg)
Click pictures to see enlargements
In an article meant to celebrate our independence, Apartment Therapy (a home decor website) posted a picture of a couch draped with a flag, as if it's a slipcover. The flag is touching the floor and certainly shown disrespect if someone actually sits on it. In the same article they also chose to use a picture of a flag hung vertically in the wrong orientation.
Submitted by Caitlin Weather
"When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and ... to the observer's left." (Flag Code, Section 7i)
"The flag should not be ... allowed to touch the ground." (Flag Code, Section 7n)
"The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery." (Flag Code, Section 8d)

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/swimwear.jpg
New swimsuits for the 2011 summer season spotted at my local Walmart.
Submitted by Walmart Shopper, Weatherford, Tx
"The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery." (Flag Code, Section 8d)

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/mcdonalds.jpg
Living on the Oregon Coast doesn't expose me to much in the way of franchise operations . . . so, when a friend and I were visiting in Tucson, a military city, we were shocked and insulted to see this McDonald's, near Craycroft Road, displaying the American flag, with their logo flag underneath, on the same pole ... clearly a violation of the Flag Code. Then, upon our return through Portland, Oregon, we stopped at the Tanasbourne Shopping Center on 185th Street, and discovered the same violation at their McDonald's, an American flag, with the McDonald's logo flag underneath, on the same pole. Perhaps this is a corporate policy, and one which needs to be halted. Please help spread the word.
Submitted by Sherry L. Vachio
"Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown." (Flag Code, Section 8i)

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/flaggarb.jpg
This just isn't right!
Submitted by C.J.
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/hydrant.jpg
Hillsboro installs flag-painted fake fire hydrant as "tribute" to deceased K-9. No disrespect intended...they say.
Submitted by Carl Collins
"The flag of the United States is any flag of the United States, or any part thereof, made of any substance, of any size, accurate or not, that is recognized as a flag by the reasonable observer." (Flag Code, Section 3)
"No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America." (Flag Code, Section 8)
"The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything." (Flag Code, Section 8h)

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/foxnews.jpg
How much more disrespectful can FOX News get...???
Submitted by R.L., Pagosa Springs, CO
See the complete FOX News slide show of American Flag bathing suits: American Flag Bikini Fashion (http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2011/07/01/american-flag-bikini-fashion/#slide=15)

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/sniff.jpg
Attached is a copy of U.S. Flag paper tissues.
Submitted by Tim, Alpharetta, GA
"It should not ... printed or otherwise impressed on ... anything that is designed for temporary use and discard." (Flag Code, Section 8i)
"The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything." (Flag Code, Section 8h)

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/flagofhonor.gif
I just saw this. It is called the "Flag of Honor and Heroes" and contains in small type, the names of the victims of September 11. It seems patriotic, but you shouldn't write on the flag, I was taught.
JS, Kansas
"The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature." (Flag Code, Section 8g)

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/camera.jpg
The flag should not to be used as a "skin" on a disposable camera. This was found on sale at Sam's Club.
Submitted by W.C., Vermont
"The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature." (Flag Code, Section 8g)

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/wos01.jpg
This is on a business in Dallas TX, where the owner claims to be a former Marine. I have asked him on several occasions to change it.
Paul Hakes
"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning." (Flag Code, Section 8k)
Update: The flag was removed shortly after the posting of this picture here.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/golf.jpg
A golf club!? "When on the course of human events..."
Submitted by Arlen, Long Island City, New York

"The flag should not be ... allowed to touch the ground." (Flag Code, Section 7n) "No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America." (Flag Code, Section 8)

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/shame/paypalcreditcard.jpg

What's good for business is good for America! Well, the flag should not be used as decoration on a credit card, no matter how American that seems!
A. Clinton, Provo, Utah
"The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever." (Flag Code, Section 8i)

SASless
7th Aug 2012, 18:54
Get off my High Horse....sure...be glad to do so!

http://www.unionjackwear.co.uk/images/union%20jack%20boxer(1).jpg

http://www.unionjackwear.co.uk/images/jac2(2).jpg

http://www.unionjackwear.co.uk/images/umbrellahat.JPG

So we have Morons in my country....I guess you folks are immune from such people GT?

Bing
7th Aug 2012, 19:38
So we have Morons in my country....I guess you folks are immune from such people GT?

We don't have a flag code, you can pretty much do what you want with the Union Flag.

The Helpful Stacker
7th Aug 2012, 19:44
SASless - The difference is that in the UK there is no equivalent of the US 'Flag Code', so the incorporation of the union flag into items of clothing etc, whilst often tacky, isn't officially a criminal offence.

Ultimately the point is that you are crying foul with regards the 'insult' that was bestowed upon the flag on the United States of America and seemingly insisting that,

.....It is fair to say to the Brits the American Flag is just a piece of cloth. It is also fair to say that to an American it is far more than a piece of cloth....

....when it is quite obvious to the examples that 'Gemini Twin' provided that to many of our compatriots it is just a piece of cloth/adornment for a couch/advertising tool/credit card decoration/etc. The fact you point out tacky uses of the union flag doesn't strengthen your case, it just amplifies the absurdity that is you trying to insist that US citizens show more respect for their flag, when the truth is that many will break a law that the UK doesn't have in order to abuse it.

SASless
7th Aug 2012, 20:49
As many laws that get onto the books....I would be quite surprised to see if there has ever been a prosecution for such violations beyond the wrong doer being chastised by someone that objects to the miss use or misguided display.

If you go back to through the posts...I criticized the Olympic crew for incompetence....not being insulting.

I have suggested to some of you that your caustic comments were in bad taste however.

I have also suggested each of our flags deserve respectful treatment out simple good manners.

Any time a Spam suggests a Brit has shown bad taste or coarse manners here....it begets shed loads of protest by some of you......so nothing new here.

What I found amusing is how ya'll can rationalize your positions....you folks could give pretzel makers ideas on how to add a few twists to their product.

The Helpful Stacker
7th Aug 2012, 21:40
Any time a Spam suggests a Brit has shown bad taste or coarse manners here....it begets shed loads of protest by some of you......

Some of you who? Brits?

SASless
8th Aug 2012, 13:59
Two very classy athletes from different countries....the way it should be!

Jamaican Olympian Shows Respect to the United States (http://www.allproudamericans.com/Jamaican-Olympian-Shows-Respect-to-the-United-States.html)

Wander00
8th Aug 2012, 16:12
Nicely done - a superb athlete and also a gentleman.

OvertHawk
8th Aug 2012, 16:19
a perfect display of courtesy, respect and good manners that we simply do not see anywhere near enough of anymore.

Well done Sir! :D

500N
8th Aug 2012, 16:26
"a perfect display of courtesy, respect and good manners that we simply do not see anywhere near enough of anymore.

Well done Sir! :D"

+1:ok:

It also says a lot about the reporter who shouldn't have to be stopped by an athelete.

NutLoose
8th Aug 2012, 17:23
Ditto :ok:

GreenKnight121
9th Aug 2012, 08:25
SASless - The difference is that in the UK there is no equivalent of the US 'Flag Code', so the incorporation of the union flag into items of clothing etc, whilst often tacky, isn't officially a criminal offence.

Ultimately the point is that you are crying foul with regards the 'insult' that was bestowed upon the flag on the United States of America and seemingly insisting that,

Quote:
.....It is fair to say to the Brits the American Flag is just a piece of cloth. It is also fair to say that to an American it is far more than a piece of cloth....
....when it is quite obvious to the examples that 'Gemini Twin' provided that to many of our compatriots it is just a piece of cloth/adornment for a couch/advertising tool/credit card decoration/etc. The fact you point out tacky uses of the union flag doesn't strengthen your case, it just amplifies the absurdity that is you trying to insist that US citizens show more respect for their flag, when the truth is that many will break a law that the UK doesn't have in order to abuse it.

So your position is that any time some violate a law that the law should then be ignored by all?

Hope your wife understands when the laws against rape are ignored by all.

Shack37
9th Aug 2012, 14:56
So your position is that any time some violate a law that the law should then be ignored by all?

Hope your wife understands when the laws against rape are ignored by all.

Wow, where the fcuk did that come from?

Heathrow Harry
9th Aug 2012, 17:58
Colorado - some very odd people out there..............

the difference is that most Old Worlders realise that a flag is only one (and a small) symbol of nationality

Of all European Countries the one you see most clean, ironed, flags out is Norway - which has only been independent for ~ 100 years

the rest of us have seen different flags come and go and it really isn't that important compared to say Cricket or German Beer Laws or the right to heave pave at the CRS.....................................

Gemini Twin
9th Aug 2012, 18:59
WOW, a completly unintentional non event has degenarated into the old Yank's against the Limey's thing. So many delect people out there. :ugh:

I can guarantee that if it had been the anyone elses flag, no one in the States would have cared, as most have absolutely no respect for foreign flags and in many little for their own.

Check out the flag raising and anthem at Nascar race and just see how many leave their baseball caps on and see how many "celebrates" make a total balls up of the national anthem yet still get cheers.

Wander00
9th Aug 2012, 19:21
See a lot of national flags in Denmark too: every birthday is marked by a display of national flags as well

PukinDog
11th Aug 2012, 16:10
The video shows what occurred, but the audio of the crowd as it occurs/falls is far more telling.

You stay classy, London. :hmm:

GlobalTravellerAT
11th Aug 2012, 17:02
To hopefully put this matter to bed. Firstly it was an accident and no malice was intended by the flag raising team. How do I know this? Well, as it happens I was in London this week having a coffee with one of the ceremonial team and he and others had highlighted the potential for a mishap to occur but they were given a stiff ignoring by the officials. As aircrew mates that are use to securing things on a regular basis the potential problem was more then evident but unfortunatley the "suits" didn't want to know. Anyone with a problem should therefore discuss it with the wimbledon officials and not try to portion blame at the volunteers that have made the 2012 Olympics simply awesome.

Load Toad
12th Aug 2012, 00:29
Re. Bolt.

Respect due to the bloke.
As I understand it at the Olympics etiquette is that everyone is supposed to stop what they are doing to give respect during the medal ceremonies; irrespective of who won.

Q-RTF-X
12th Aug 2012, 01:40
GlobalTravellerAT

In a nutshell, your post first lends a proper perspective and then brings some much needed clarity by providing hitherto unmentioned but very pertinent background. Thank you :ok: