PDA

View Full Version : Retrospective NVQ charges

flyergirl10
4th Apr 2002, 19:18
Has anyone been faced with the (very large) problem of suddenly finding at the very end of the Integrated course, on top of charges for extra flying hours and additional accommodation charges, that they receive an account from their Training School for a refund of NVQ Tax Relief, in the amount of several thousands of pounds? This, after signing on the bottom line of a form offering "Full NVQ Tax Relief on Course Fees, if paid in full by August 31, 2000".

This smacks, at the very least, of incompetence on the part of the school. If one were cynical, more likely, "over-enthusiasm" on the part of the school's Marketing Department is the reason.

Anyone been in this situation? I’d like to hear from you.

MALCOLM_DEAN
5th Apr 2002, 07:13
Flyergirl,

I can imagine that it was was quite a shock to be presented with a bill for NVQ.

Whilst any money paid into your account prior to 30 June 2000 was eligible for NVQ relief, it was also a condition of the Inland Revenue that this money had to be spent by 30 June 2001. This fact was not particularly well publicised by the Inland Revenue but it was in the "small print".

Any funds on which NVQ had been claimed that was not used by this time was no longer eligible and the NVQ claimed had to be repaid to the authorities.

As far as Multiflight are concerned, we ringfenced all NVQ funds on student accounts so that if the money had not been spent then funds were available to refund the Inland revenue. I know that some FTO's used this substantial influx of cash to keep themselves afloat for another few months or so. Unfortunately the FTO is acting as your agent in dealing with the Inland Revenue and as such the account is your responsibility.

If you wnat to contact me then give me a call at Multiflight

Regards

Malcolm Dean
Head of Training
Multiflight

flyergirl10
5th Apr 2002, 11:19
Malcolm,

Thanks for the comments. However, what you say does not tie in with the Inland Revenue NVQ Department, who were adamant that they made the situation quite clear all along to the schools- that there was a 3 year run off period from June, 1998.

This was pointed out to the school's marketting department (not yours, in this case) at the time of enrolement, to be met with the answer, "So long as you pay in full by 31 August, 2000, you will get the full NVQ tax relief". June 2001 was brushed aside by them, as though it had been superseded.

Alex Whittingham
5th Apr 2002, 13:40
The Inland Revenue rules on NVQ were all small print but it was quite clearly laid out in them that the training had to be completed by June last. If the school didn't spot it, more fool them.

I asked the NVQ inspectors at the time who they would pursue for refunds, they said they would go after the schools, not the individuals.

RowleyUK
5th Apr 2002, 13:42
Which school is it??

Incompetence like this should be exposed....

rolling circle
5th Apr 2002, 22:59
Hang on!... Let's place the blame where it belongs.

Everyone who claimed VTR and who did not complete the level 4 NVQ in Piloting Transport Aircraft, hold your hands up - You, and you alone (you unprincipled sh*ts), are responsible for the plight of Flyergirl.

The idea was good, it failed because there are just too many self-seeking @resholes in the aviation world.

Tosh McCaber
6th Apr 2002, 07:26
Certainly Oxford promised full NVQ Tax relief for the course, both in Seminars, and in their Contract forms, back in early 2000. This, despite it being pointed out to them that the run off period was 3 years from June 1998. No mention that they would do a U turn, and ask for more than half back after the course finished.

Not even a clarification letter at June 2000.

Sensible
8th Apr 2002, 09:31
Here we go again. The blame somebody else syndrome!!

The fact is guys and gals that if you claimed NVQ relief and wern't entitled to it then you must look on the bright side and congratulate yourselves as having had an interest free loan. Now is the time to pay it back - before it accrues interest! If you didn't check the rules or play within them then you only have yourself to blame.

My advice is to smile and pay up!!

scroggs
8th Apr 2002, 10:50
Take all the evidence you have to a tax lawyer. If, as Alex suggests, the NVQ inspectors were aiming to penalise the organisations rather than the individuals, and you still have the contract that states 'Full NVQ relief if paid in full by 31 August 2001', then I would think that you have a very good case that it is the school, and not you, that is liable.
I belive your liability is, in any case, to the Inland Revenue, and not to the school. If they have made unauthorised payments on your behalf to the taxman, you may well have a further case against them. Above all, take legal advice before paying anything.