PDA

View Full Version : End of the road to the Scillies

Cyclic Hotline
2nd Aug 2012, 00:05
End of the road, so to speak. Sad news, this service has been around for a long time.

The Press Association: Scilly Isles helicopter flights end (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5ggs4OFPfVutjTUMplWBKnsOSVWxg?docId=N018391134384788710 9A)

A South West town has been dealt a huge blow after a helicopter firm announced it was scrapping flights, with the threat of redundancies.
British International Helicopters (BIH) announced that it was closing the domestic helicopter passenger route between Penzance and the Isles of Scilly from November this year.
The company said the decision was triggered by a legal challenge by Tesco over plans to build a Sainsbury's supermarket on the existing BIH site.
A BIH statement confirmed the closure of the heliport would "affect employees" and that workers had entered a formal redundancy consultation process.
Managing director Tony Jones said: "The route has run for 49 years so this is an extremely sad announcement for BIH, its employees and its customers - in fact the whole of west Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. Unfortunately we had no alternative."
The company said the decision to close the route was "finally triggered by legal action taken by Tesco and two private individuals". It said the legal challenges of the planning process prevented the firm from completing the sale of the land to Sainsbury's.
BIH has repeatedly stated publicly that the land needed to be sold in a reasonable timeframe to release the capital required to continue the service, at a different location.
Cornwall Councillor Andrew Wallis described the decision as "a kick in the teeth" for the two communities. He added: "To me, this is two supermarkets squabbling over a piece of land, and the communities of Penzance and the Isles of Scilly are the ones to miss out."
Andrew May, chairman of the Isles of Scilly Steamship Group, which runs the Scillonian ferry service between the mainland and the archipelago, said: "The helicopter has been a fixture of islands travel for almost 50 years and during that time our two companies have worked together in a spirit of friendly competition.
"Our focus now must be to work with the island community to ensure that we do our best to compensate for this loss of service. We hope this will reassure and help allay concerns that people may have."

seagreenmaid
2nd Aug 2012, 09:07
Without starting an anti capitalist rant, visiting Scilly over the years inspired me to fly myself. I do hope something can be sorted out for the Islanders' sake.

Helinut
2nd Aug 2012, 11:45
Every Little Helps?? :mad:

Alloa Akbar
2nd Aug 2012, 14:58
There are plenty of other options for shopping in Pz these days, and its a small town. Hope Tesco suffer. I spent a number of years living by the Heliport, Pz wont be the same without it.

griffothefog
2nd Aug 2012, 16:11
Steamship company need to step up to the mark and buy a fast cat for the service.:ugh:

So sorry for the BIH people, used to park the Bolkow up there when on the lights, great times in Penzance :ok:

How long will it take the likes of Tesco and Sainsbury's to work out that corporate greed is the number one killer of society in the UK ( next to the f**king unions) and coming to a cinema near you soon...................... Nothing. :cool:

misterbonkers
2nd Aug 2012, 17:52
Everybody in/around Penzance and Scillies should vote with their wallets and boycott every tesco around. Simples.

tom3
2nd Aug 2012, 19:39
Not hard to boycott Tesco on the Scillies, there's only a couple of options and neither are Tesco!

Sad news regardless of the cause.

edit to add: They haven't been flying for a while now anyway, Tesco/Sainsbury's ding dong or not.

TorqueOfTheDevil
2nd Aug 2012, 20:39
Could the Council have done more to resolve the legal wrangling, given that BIH had 'repeatedly stated publicly that the land needed to be sold in a reasonable timeframe to release the capital required to continue the service'?

It's not as if Cornwall Council have a gleaming track record in terms of managing aviation matters, is it?

heli1
3rd Aug 2012, 08:00
So there is an opportunity here for someone with a faster ,more economic modern helicopter to fill the need.There is obviously demand.After all who wants to spend three hours in the Atlantic approaches to Scilly?
Where to base it is the issue.BIH tried and failed to set up a new base close to the main road and rail route north of Penzance but the locals weren't sympathetic..Newquay was too far for the venerable S-61 and Lands End too far for the passengers ?
And what helicopter ? Already paid for AS332L ? Nice new AW139 ? S-92 ?

Ideas from our Cornish friends ?

Fareastdriver
3rd Aug 2012, 08:45
And what helicopter ? Already paid for AS332L ? Nice new AW139 ? S-92 ?

They do not own any 332Ls; you must be getting confused with the operation that used to have their name in Aberdeen. Nice new 139s or 92s need money, lots of it, which is why they needed to sell Penzance Heliport.

bolkow
3rd Aug 2012, 09:23
Precisely my sentiments helinut. That company recently build another infernal superstore on my doorstep in an area that was previosuly beautiful contryside. Two cats killed on their road that runs along our back garden, a vets bill of £500 ofr another harmed on the road (the cats were there first), traffic chaos and house damage, none of which said company accepts any responsibility for, plans pushed through against local wishes, in Bristol there were riats when they pushed another store on that community, I personally cannot wait for the financial demise of Tesco, they are not a considerate neighbour but an all too powerful bully that could not give a care for their continued negative impact on the quality of life for local folks. Dont expect them to care in this instance also.

heli1
3rd Aug 2012, 09:23
Far East Driver...Who said anything about BIH operating AS332Ls on the route ? They haven't got any money and we need someone who has .
It needs a new operator to come in .Bond/Inaer ? CHC ? Veritair ....an entrepreneur ?

Non Emmett
3rd Aug 2012, 11:30
Tresco have just spent in excess of £10 million adding to their already extensive stock of property for rental and timeshare and will be desperately keen to maintain helicopeter links as their well heeled punters have grown accustomed to the ease of acces via the direct S-61 links to the island. But if the existing longterm operator using old equipment can't make it pay, and anyone who takes it on will incur similar fuel costs, what chance of another outfit stepping in ?

Scillonians heading to Cornwall for medical treatment seem set to incur major difficulties compared to the relative ease with which they have been able to get to and from Cornwall via the S-61 services.

TorqueOfTheDevil
3rd Aug 2012, 12:46
I personally cannot wait for the financial demise of Tesco, they are not a considerate neighbour but an all too powerful bully that could not give a care for their continued negative impact on the quality of life for local folks. Dont expect them to care in this instance also.

Don't hold your breath! And for everyone living near a Tesco whose quality of life has been degraded by the store, you'll find ten who welcome the proximity of a large shop that sells almost everything and offers free parking and modern, clean stores with facilities such as toilets. Just ask any independent town centre grocer/clothing store/electrical retailer etc etc. I'm not saying I disagree with your sentiments, but the population vote with their feet and currently most people's feet take them to Tesco!

On the subject of Scillonians heading to Cornwall for pre-planned medical treatment, why can't they go by fixed wing to Land's End or Newquay? The latter is closer to Treliske in any case. And any medical emergencies (which wouldn't have gone by S-61 in any case), there will still be a SAR aircraft at Culdrose.

griffothefog
3rd Aug 2012, 15:09
The air rat at St Mawgan covers 95% of Isles of Scilly medical requirements :D

JYKelly
3rd Aug 2012, 15:46
I'm certainly no fan of Tesco and, although no doubt working to their own agenda, the Times is reporting that their challenge is a "technical" one based on BIH's failure to come up with a viable alternative LS; a pre-condition of the sale of the site to Sainsbury. A cynic might say that this was purely a wallet-fattening manoeuvre by the BIH management team from the start. While this delay may prevent the cash changing hands quite so soon, it won't help the employees.

fagin's goat
4th Aug 2012, 08:24
Don't blame Tesco. They objected quite naturally to having Sainsbury on their door-step....Morrisons the other side must think the same. The question that should be asked is who in Cornwall County Council let BIH/Sainsburys even apply for change of use from heliport (essential link to Scillies) to supermarket (Penzance has plenty of those already.

Papa.Mike
12th Aug 2012, 12:18
Griff,
You obviously don't know the IoS / Penzance helicopter operation very well at all.
There are people that use the schedule for hospital appointments. They are not all casualties.
And the BAS HEMS cab at NQY: they are busy! :ok:

griffothefog
12th Aug 2012, 15:29
Papa.Mike,

Fair comment, I am a few years out of touch to say the least :ok:

But when I did fly the service, the Air ambulance did most of the IOS emergency work, maybe that's what I should have said.

I stand by my original comment about the Steamship company :ugh:

JimL
22nd Aug 2012, 08:12
This has just appeared on 'Vertical':
Isles of Scilly helicopter link is saved

12:32pm Tuesday 21st August 2012 in News

The future of Penzance’s helicopter links to the Isles of Scilly looks secure after Tesco announced it has withdrawn its opposition for a new British International Helicopters site in the town.

The supermarket giant had been pursuing a judicial review against the planning permission granted for the project.

The decision to withdraw the review has followed a commitment from British International Helicopters (BIH) to continue helicopter services between Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, if all legal challenges are dropped.

revs&checks
22nd Aug 2012, 08:48
Unfortunately not the good news it appears to be, as the company are still waiting for the last person to remove their objection. Until that happens a judicial review is still required and the company are continuing with their plans to close the base from 1st Nov.

Breaking News: BIH To Continue Withdrawal Of Helicopters | Scilly Today (http://www.scillytoday.com/2012/08/21/breaking-news-bih-to-continue-withdrawal-of-helicopters/#comment-3270)

British international Helicopters have just issued a statement saying they intend to continue with their withdrawal from the Penzance to Scilly helicopter route.
This follows an announcement from Tesco (http://www.scillytoday.com/2012/08/21/tesco-withdraws-judicial-review-on-heliport-site/) earlier today that they would be dropping their judicial review into the planning permission for a Sainsbury’s superstore on the heliport site. Tesco said they had a letter of assurance from BIH that if all judicial reviews were dropped, they would commit to continue the helicopter service.
But this evening, BIH have said that between the 14th and 17th August it “became clear that the remaining legal challenge would not be removed within a suitably short timeframe despite great efforts by a number of people.”
They say that, as not all legal challenges have been removed, BIH, “have no alternative but to pursue another course of action. This course is to cease the passenger service from 1 November 2012.”
BIH say they have spent considerable time and money seeking to continue to maintain the route and they now have to focus on the future of the company without the route to the Isles of Scilly. BIH add they will continue to talk to other potential operators for the route.

Anthony Supplebottom
13th Sep 2012, 20:47
The former boss of a west Cornwall helicopter company is involved in talks to keep a service in the air, The Cornishman has learnt.

Terry Nelson was the Penzance-based chief executive of Scotia Helicopters, which was taken over by British International Helicopters (BIH) in 2000.

Although he wouldn't go into detail about his exact role, Mr Nelson confirmed he was using his expertise to help a helicopter service survive in west Cornwall.

He said: "I feel it is very sad that this has happened.

"When I left in 2000 it was a thriving business and is now almost 50 per cent of the business it was ten years ago. How can it go from that to what it is today?

"Mr Nelson refused to confirm if he was offering financial help as well as drawing on 25 years of personal knowledge of the Penzance-based flights. "I will do everything I can to help the islanders," he said.

BIH has announced that flights will stop for good on October 31 after a set of legal challenges delayed the sale of the heliport at Eastern Green to Sainsbury's.

From November 1, the helicopters currently in use on the service will be transferred to a hangar at Newquay airport where they will remain until they are sold.

With discussions into the future of flights continuing, and a legal challenge by former Isles of Scilly Steamship Company boss Charlie Cartwright still going ahead, the Government has leant its voice to a growing number hoping for a successful outcome.

Transport Minister Norman Baker said: "We understand that the operators of the ferry and plane services are considering what they can do to meet the demand for travel and that efforts are being made locally to explore whether other potential helicopter operators would be willing to provide services."
Ex-Scotia boss joins helicopter talks | This is Cornwall (http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Ex-Scotia-boss-joins-helicopter-talks/story-16893635-detail/story.html)

fagin's goat
30th Oct 2012, 07:25
....it's the final countdown....two flying days to go for the Penzance boys.

terminus mos
30th Oct 2012, 09:29
Hurry up, plenty of work for those old reliable S-61s replacing so called new technology EC225s on the North Sea. Get them to Aberdeen!

chopper2004
30th Oct 2012, 09:51
ummm slight problem with that article, it was CHC which took over the Maxwell's Brintel and offshore side of Bond Helicopters in late 99 early 2000 to make CHC Scotia

Cheers

espresso drinker
30th Oct 2012, 10:03
All joking aside, what is likely to happen to the S-61's? Do they have much life left in them? Would they be viable purchase?

Will they end up going north?

Any rumours, gossip or speculation?

Non Emmett
30th Oct 2012, 10:53
I enjoyed New Year last year on Tresco though I'm still getting over the shock of what it all cost. They have just completed a multi million pound expansion which gives more selfcatering accommodation and the S-61 service direct to the island was a most convenient if expensive trip. I note Twin Otter flights from Lands End will cost typically £160 return in November and from Newquay £190.

What would a new helicopter service need to charge to be viable and what equipment might they use ? S-61s? Seems to me that with the Penzance heliport written out of the script it would take an age to get Cornwall Council to agree to an new site and sadly wherever any such venture sought to locate to would probably attract considerable nimbyism, not least from those who have only lived in Cornwall for a relatively short period.

I feel sorry for our Scillonian neighbours who have had the beneit of the chopper service for decades.

Sanus
30th Oct 2012, 12:07
If you do the maths it probably looks viable.

130,000 pax a year (BBC) @ £90 each (ave) = £11.7m. Throw in a couple of LG grants and development loans and you're generating well over £1m a month.

A couple of refurbished L1 Puma's wouldn't cost too much ....

cockney steve
30th Oct 2012, 14:41
OK Sanus....now take out the rent for a new pitch (they're selling their own, so a grasping landlord will want ~8% return on HIS capital.....then there's the local council screwing the place for Rates and other services....Oh, and as the presentoperator is so skint they don't have a "xitty" to pay for replacements for their end-of-life machines.....they obviously were short on the revenue-stream.

New heliport +new heli(s) = higher costs- = same throughput of pax/freight pay more per trip, OR they increase their load-factor sufficiently to make the op. self-funding.

Why do people think there's a magic money-tree which produces "Grants and Subsidies"....Commercial operation, should work on a self-funded basis.

Non Emmett
30th Oct 2012, 16:42
Reasonable points cockney steve- b.ut the islands have been able to spend teens of millions in recent times on a new school and according to scilly today six million pounds is available for "improvements to waste management" and a further six million plus could be for new energy from waste plant.

Big bucks for a population of 2200 me thinks but good luck to them. They seem to be comparing transport costs for similar sized Scottish islands and feel strongly they need some help. I suppose if you have had a good S-61 service for so many years albeit at a relatively high cost some might think, then its loss is going to hit islanders hard.

Fareastdriver
30th Oct 2012, 19:03
The Scottish Islands have transport subsidies but not for helicopters. They use ferries and for some reason although the seas have a similar level of difficulty they run all the year round; not just during the tourist season. The problem with the Scillies is their marine connections, not their airborne ones.

luckyrat
31st Oct 2012, 07:11
Good luck to all at British International, on your last day at Penzance Heli port. I wish you all the very best...............:sad:

helihub
31st Oct 2012, 10:44
and of course not forgetting the families impacted by the 60 losing their jobs today

POBJOY
31st Oct 2012, 15:21
Called in today and said cheerio to some of the guys that have given me a 'traffic service' whilst on aerial work in the area for the past 36 years.
Possibly the end of the aviation connection for Penzance since 1964, and with our winter weather a difficult service to replace.
However they can hold their heads up high as the service was second to none for decades,and only started to degrade as aircraft serviceability waned in recent times.
It will be strange to no longer see the 61 curving in out of the mist over the railway yards and getting the faint 'avtur' scent whilst going to B&Q or Halfords.
The last flight is due from SCY at 17.30 and then that machine will go to NQY,leaving no aircraft on site.
Plymouth in 2011, and now PZ HP 2012, not good for South West Aviation services.
There still may be a judicial review on the planning process that granted permission for a supermarket on the site.We wait with interest.

A30yoyo
31st Oct 2012, 17:14
Here's a shot of the penultimate Scillies flight at Penzance at 1600 today....I just heard what I think was the last one heading out at 1700

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz20/A30yoyo/PenultimateSciily-Flight900.jpg

The buildings already signless are due to come down in the next couple of weeks apparently

POBJOY
31st Oct 2012, 21:07
Nice one A30; called in this evening to see the last rites performed on what deserves to be called a 'historic' aviation site.
As the base of what was probably the longest serving scheduled Helio service i was pleased that so many turned up to say goodbye to the staff (including former ones).
Perhaps Sainsbury will put a S61 fuse shell on the top of its s-mkt to remind everyone of how this site performed such a good service for decades.
RIP PZ HP walk tall into the future. PP

A30yoyo
1st Nov 2012, 22:10
Photo by (and uploaded for) POBJOYhttp://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz20/A30yoyo/PZHeliportLastService.jpg

A30yoyo
8th Nov 2012, 13:35
The clear-out was nearly finished today....the fire truck was shifted to Newquay

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8057/8166814196_5fd49f7475_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74784995@N00/8166814196/)
Heliport Fire Truck goes (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74784995@N00/8166814196/) by A30yoyo (http://www.flickr.com/people/74784995@N00/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7264/8166814292_2dd2c585e6_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74784995@N00/8166814292/)
Heliport Tea Break (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74784995@N00/8166814292/) by A30yoyo (http://www.flickr.com/people/74784995@N00/), on Flickr

A30yoyo
11th Nov 2012, 00:27
New Tower and Terminal

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8173689824_459682a36f_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74784995@N00/8173689824/)
Lands End Airport 1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74784995@N00/8173689824/) by A30yoyo (http://www.flickr.com/people/74784995@N00/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8482/8173689774_edcc6f4efb_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74784995@N00/8173689774/)
Lands End Airport 2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74784995@N00/8173689774/) by A30yoyo (http://www.flickr.com/people/74784995@N00/), on Flickr

HeliHenri
4th Dec 2012, 19:46
Life on a Scilly Isle without the comforting sound of a helicopter :

Life on a Scilly Isle without the comforting sound of a helicopter | This is Cornwall (http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Life-Scilly-Isle-comforting-sound-helicopter/story-17493620-detail/story.html)

The fact that a small Westcountry community of some 180 souls enjoyed its own dedicated helicopter service for almost three decades might seem a little fanciful in a region where some villages of that size fail to attract a single bus – but the regular flights have been the isle of Tresco's vital link to the outside world since 1983.

Now the high and happy days are over. The entire Scillonian archipelago lost its helicopter link at the end of October, but Tresco has been feeling the pain more than most.

Since British International Helicopters ceased flying out to the islands from Penzance, anyone visiting Tresco has had to either arrive by ship from the mainland, or fly in to St Mary's Airport aboard the Skybus fixed wing planes.

Either way, that's meant a boat ride on to the final destination – which the islanders of St Martins, Bryher and St Agnes and their visitors have been used to. But Tresco is run primarily as a tourist resort – and as such is a well oiled machine that has grown accustomed to welcoming its guests at its own heliport next door to the world famous gardens.

Now the heavenly acres of the beautiful isle shake to the deafening thrum of helicopter blades no more. All is quiet on the airy downs and dunes of Tresco's southern tip.

So how is the island coping with the loss? Some locals will, privately, tell you that it's similar to what many seaside resorts must have felt during the 1960s when Dr Beeching axed so many of the nation's regional train services – but Tresco Island Estate has been good at reinventing itself ever since Augustus Smith was appointed Lord Proprietor of the Scillies in 1834.

Smith was an innovator – and his direct descendent, Robert Dorrien Smith who runs the estate now, is made in the same mould – he has spent millions developing the island's tourist offering and his staff are used to adapting.

Mike Nelhams, curator of Tresco Abbey Garden, was also in charge of managing the island heliport until it was officially closed at the end of October, and he told the Western Morning News: "We've been waiting for the helicopter to close down for the last couple of years so we have been looking at all the other possibilities.

"Now we've developed a relationship with the Isles of Scilly Steamship Company (which operates Skybus) and we've got a system where, once you get to your chosen airport, we will look after you and your bags.

"We pick visitors up from St Mary's Airport, take them down to the quay where we will have staff to meet them and get them aboard the jet-boat to Tresco – in other words it's a seamless journey.

"Very few jobs went – if people wanted to stay, other jobs were available," he commented on the heliport's closure. "But some went to work at other airports because they were professionals."

Alasdair Moore is in charge of Tresco's marketing, and he told me: "There's obviously a sense of loss, but at the same time it certainly didn't come out of the blue. Recently part of the experience of coming to Tresco has been clouded by this are they, or aren't they, question.

"That led to a lot of unease in this community and also for our visitors – it was a vacuum and gossip and surmise fills it. But this is where we are now and we can make it work.

"I've had time-share people come up to me purely making the point about how well the new transport arrangements have gone. They'd been concerned about the change, but they'd been delighted by what had been put in place – and they really liked the jet-boat journey. It adds to the sense of being on an island.

"For the people who live here – well, the other off-islands have always had this as the standard way of travelling.

"One cannot argue that the helicopter didn't fly in very strong winds, because it did," he added, referring to the fact that the Skybus planes cannot fly to the islands in gale conditions.

"But the thing to be remembered is that last year there were more days cancelled on the helicopter than on Skybus – there were growing problems with it going 'technical'.

"Anyway, we all experience appalling weather – even on the mainland," shrugged Mr Moore. "Much of the transport network was inoperable last week – and we're 28 miles out into the ocean. We have to expect there will be times when things are difficult – but we have not had a dip in bookings because the helicopter has gone."

Anthony Supplebottom
20th Dec 2012, 12:54
BBC News - PM will have Isles of Scilly helicopter meeting 'if necessary' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-20791035)

ATPMBA
30th Jan 2013, 11:05
Are the heliports at Penzance and Tresco closed?

If so who were the buyers and what will happen to them?

If I want to fly to Scilly what are my options now?

The BIH website is still up and they post a fare of 190 pounds. Is that one-way or roundtrip?

Sorry about the dumb questions but it looks like the old BIH posts have rolled off the form.

A30yoyo
30th Jan 2013, 11:15
Penzance Heliport is finished, BIH pulled out with about 3 years notice, no scheduled helicopter service to Scilly now. PZE sold to Supermarket developer.
Scillies Scheduled service is fixed-wing by Skybus to St Mary's airfield(Twin Otter service from Newquay, Islander from Lands End)) , don't know fate of Tresco Heliport, Lands End Airfield has new terminal/tower
Castle Air offer a helicopter charter service about £2000 for 7 pax one-way from various Cornish departure points.

S-61 service finished now
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4101/4746817503_28d0a5f0cd_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74784995@N00/4746817503/)
G-BFFJ-PZdep-1300 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74784995@N00/4746817503/) by A30yoyo (http://www.flickr.com/people/74784995@N00/), on Flickr

Penzance Heliport 30 years ago
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7258/6857111942_2a61f9bbb4_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74784995@N00/6857111942/)
G-ASNL (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74784995@N00/6857111942/) by A30yoyo (http://www.flickr.com/people/74784995@N00/), on Flickr

A30yoyo
15th Apr 2013, 14:04
I hear Skybus have now got a 4th Twin Otter and they have permission for a surfaced runway at Land's End.

Savoia
15th Apr 2013, 16:46
Ciao Yoyo!

Interesting stuff!

There are a couple of 'Scillies' threads .. but this is one of the latest: http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/512372-isles-scillys-heli-link.html

Savoia
25th Apr 2013, 07:37
* Helicopters could return to the skies above west Cornwall by next summer after an "international company" backed plans for a new transport link.

* AgustaWestland has agreed to provide helicopters for an operator to fly the 28 miles between Penzance and the Isles of Scilly.

* "Pieces of the jigsaw necessary to resurrect a helicopter service are coming together but there is still a tremendous amount to be done," said west Cornwall and Isles of Scilly MP Andrew George, who has been campaigning with other local stakeholders for a revamped helicopter service.

* An "appealing" offer will be put on the table for operators with the use of an AgustaWestland 189 craft. Able to seat around 18 passengers, the model will also be used by Bristow to provide search and rescue operations across the country.

Hopes for relaunch of helicopter link to Isles | This is Cornwall (http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Hopes-relaunch-helicopter-link-Isles/story-18789924-detail/story.html#axzz2RSSHnxQT)

treadigraph
25th Apr 2013, 08:03
Finally got my PZ/St Mary's trip in last September, very nice too and thoroughly enjoyed my second and third helicopter rides on the S-61N, particularly on the way back - fantastic vis and lowish level round the coast past Mousehole and Newlyn. Very sad to see the service go.

Oddly enough and perhaps a portent of things to come; while I was enjoyng a pint or three in St Mary's, a primered Merlin flew a couple of approaches into the airport, presumably on a test flight out of Yeovil.

Hope they can restart a service (though I'd like a trip in the Islanders and Twin Otters too...!).

Savoia
25th Apr 2013, 08:19
Buongiorno Treadigraph! You should have taken some snaps amico!

Didn't realise they had Twotters in the Scillies.

Have always wanted to buy a seat on the Twotter in BA colours which apparently flies a scheduled service onto a beach in Scotland! Perhaps next time.

OvertHawk
26th Apr 2013, 10:23
Think you're too late Sav'

The Loganair Twotters no longer wear BA colours - think they're all in Flybe uniforms now - still landing on the beach at Barra though!

OH