PDA

View Full Version : Booking in NZ$

dazdaz1
1st Aug 2012, 12:41
Hi all

I'm paying for some family members to fly to the UK from NZ. Today I checked the cost of fares to give me some idea. On the Air NZ site it asked 'flying from' 'flying to' when I entered Wellington to London it then took me to their NZ site where fares were in NZ$ I was wondering seeing the good exchange rate of the £ would it be beneficial for me to make the booking in NZ$ on the NZ site?

On the site it just lists London, does not sate whether it's LGW or LHR do Air NZ fly to LGW?

Thanks

davidjohnson6
1st Aug 2012, 13:44
You can find the London airports served by Air NZ here

Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=air+new+zealand+which+london+airports)

Given that a NZ - UK - NZ fare is expensive, you should consider carefully the method of payment you will use. Some credit and debit cards can incur much higher charges and lousy currency exchange rates (always in the bank's favour, never in your favour) for purchases outside the country and currency of issue. Phone your bank to confirm the details on this.

dazdaz1
1st Aug 2012, 14:54
Thank you for your reply davidjohnson6 Umm LHR is a right bummer from the SE coast.

Hartington
1st Aug 2012, 15:43
The airlines apply their own exchange rate which they only change (usually) once a week. That rate would apply if you bought the ticket through someone in the UK (having had a quick look at the Air NZ website not sure how you force that other than using an agency or phoning Air NZ). The point being that you can get a quote in Pounds to compare against the Air NZ Dollar fare. Then you can phone your credit card provider ask what foreign currency changes/rates they apply and then come to a decision. If you don't usually make large purchases by phone or the web I would be prepared for your card provider to say "no" when you push the purchase button; don't leave the website just get onto your provider immediately and work with him to get it through.

Of course the other option is to go to your bank and transfer the money to NZ and let them make the purchase. I don't know what banks charge for that these days.

One of the Middle Eastern carriers (Emirates?) will probably get you to Gatwick. For all that people seem to like Emirates I would still go for Air NZ they are good.

V800
1st Aug 2012, 18:49
I live in the UK and recently booked some Air NZ domestic flights. The same flights on their NZ site priced in NZ$ were considerably cheaper than the offering on the UK site priced in GB£.

PAXboy
1st Aug 2012, 23:15
With some long hauls, it can be cheaper to fly from the destination to the UK and back than in the reverse direction. South Africa is one such,. HOWEVER, you cannot book from the distant end to start the journey here!

I think the idea of checking the total amount to be paid and considering a single bank txfer at a rate that you know in advance, sounds worth exploring, if you have the time to do so.

Air NZ have a consistently good reputation and their Y and PE is meant to be amongst the best in the world.

rgsaero
2nd Aug 2012, 06:00
G'day Daz.

I've been using Air NZ for travel to and from NZ and internal flights since 1983; in recent years have been booking "on-line".

I have compared prices on the .co.nz and .co.uk sites for the long haul and recall that generally the UK site offers better prices, even when exchange rates are taken into account. For local NZ flights an onward connection from tthe long-haul to - say ChC or Taupo - is cheaper on .co.uk than booking on the NZ site, and of course, if the lolng-haul is late and the connection therefore missed, the ticket it protected, whereas if it's a separate "local" booking, it will / may be lost.

Foe flights within NZ and with no immediate long-haul connection local NZ booking is the best value and with no likelyhood of missing the expensive long-haul connection.

Thus for an itinerary London LHR to Taupo and return from ChC I book the four flights on the UK site (all via Aukland of course). For the Taupo - ChC - Hokitika - ChC legs I book on the NZ site.

Hope that helps.

dazdaz1
2nd Aug 2012, 12:41
Thank you all for your replies, it is most appreciated.

dazdaz1
4th Aug 2012, 13:10
Me again:hmm: Does anyone know of any other airlines apart from Virgin 'From the top of your head' that fly from Auckland NZ to LGW I've looked at a few airline websites all seem to go to LHR

Bealzebub
4th Aug 2012, 14:12
Virgin doesn't fly from Auckland to Gatwick directly. Nobody does.
Virgin use interline partners (usually Air NZ) through another overseas destination.

The only same aircraft through flights from Auckland to London are with Air New Zealand. These can be Westbound via Hong Kong or Eastbound via Los Angeles. Flights are into London Heathrow.

Many other carriers operate either interline arrangements (often with a codeshare partner) through an overseas airport, that will involve a change of aircraft and often a change of airline. Popular alternatives are to use a hub & spoke flight with the same carrier (change of aircraft at the hub) with airlines that serve the points you want to travel to.

Emirates are particularly popular on this route, with a number of two stop options from NZ to the UK (all through DXB.) Other carriers offering similar arrangements include Cathay Pacific, Qantas, Malaysian, Qatar airways, Etihad, etc.

For AKL-LGW Emirates and Qatar and probably your best bet.

dazdaz1
4th Aug 2012, 14:31
Thanks for your reply Bealzebub, excellent info Emirates/Qatar.

Daz