PDA

View Full Version : Msg for Admin ! Is it just me or ..?

Canada Goose
4th Apr 2002, 14:58
Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble with the new formatted PPRUNE website ??

Since the new format has been changed whenever I go to view a topic, I have to scroll sideways to read it (i.e. the wrap around has distorted) and somtimes this means in order for me to read one line I have to scroll for like 4-5 x the normal width to read it. As you can imagine, this scrolling backwards and forwards had made reading posts very cumbersome ..... !??

Am I alone ???
What can I do to correct this ??

Thanks.

CG.

InFinRetirement
4th Apr 2002, 15:02
If you are using Netscape it will cause that. If you use IE5 upwards it won't. Opera is apparently alright too.

Change of browser required.

But do check in Computer issues where this is very shortly going.

Canada Goose
4th Apr 2002, 15:10
IFR,

Thanks. You're correct, I am using Netscape. Funnily enough though, the reason I am using it as since the change, whenever I use Explorer (my usual browser) the page just freezes up and I have to close the page using task manager. I have to confess that this isn't the only time it freezes, but there are many other sites I can regularly access that don't cause a page freeze !

Time to call the IT dept. Mind you, I may have my work cut out explaining what site I'm having trouble accessing ... ;)

Cheers,
CG.

bblank
4th Apr 2002, 16:41
Can anyone explain in what way Netscape is not W3C compliant?

Web authors can format their pages as they wish. However it makes sense to format web pages so that they are as widely accessible as possible. The way to do that is to follow the W3C HTML standard and not rely on the manner in which one particular browser handles markup code that has unspecified behavior.

The nested tables that PPRuNE uses can give rise to all sorts of unspecified behaviors. As I wrote in the "Postings off the screen" thread in this forum, I believe that the problem lies with incompatible element tags in some table data entries, not with Netscape. If so then the solution should be to fix the markup code, not change the browser. Does anyone really want Microsoft to determine all internet standards?

Burnswannabe
5th Apr 2002, 13:28
I use mozilla, which is of course very similar to netscape, and have so far not had any wrap around problems. (just the annoying smiley code)

somewhatconcerned
7th Apr 2002, 23:52
For what it's worth i've noticed that if someone posts a large (dimensionaly speaking) image file it screws up on all browsers.