PDA

View Full Version : I don't belieeeeeeeeeeeeve it! Black Amor in way.

Loose rivets
31st Jul 2012, 20:36
Following what seemed to be a successful setup of my printer and 3 computers, I've just notices my Network Backup drive has changed its characteristics - inasmuch as it does not show on the Explorer in the same way and much of the data on it is not showing.

Seagate Black Amor 1TB drive used to show as a Device. BA-XXXXX. Go to that in Explorer and all the folders were there.

Now it shows, and I can write to it, but very little can be seen.

What's more, looking at the network map, it's in between the once computer I have running, and the router!!!!!!!!!! The green pair of lines are only broken by this.

This drive has always been a disappointment. Seagate were very cagey when I phoned for support, and could never really answer why it would not set up with their software. It is supposed to be accessible from anywhere in the world, and would have been handy sometimes. That function has never worked.

It worked as a backup drive okay - until now.

Anyone else got one of these - or an answer to why my remote printer setup may have messed this up?

Milo Minderbinder
31st Jul 2012, 22:02
can't give you an exact answer, but I can give you a clue
Its all to do with user permissions - you changed the name of the PC, so the drive assumes its now attached to a different machine, so the backed up folders don't belong to what its attached to - so they aren't shown

You'll probably find that if you delve deep enough in one of the funny named folders the files will be there, though well hidden, Any new backups will be in a new heriarchy on the drive
When I've been faced with this in the past I've had to wipe the drive and starrt again, though there must be a better solution

Loose rivets
31st Jul 2012, 23:11
Mmmm...sounds like I need to rename me computer, grab the 3,000 odd photos on the drive, then re-rename the computer.

This is where you tell me an iron portcullis drops down on the first rename.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Aug 2012, 17:51
Should be possible to right-click the folder they're in a change the user permissions and ownership on them

Loose rivets
2nd Aug 2012, 00:34
Since my cunning plan failed, I'll try that.

I'm hoping the originals photos are all okay, but scanning of prints took weeks of odd sessions so mustn't be blase.

One thing that's come about is the drive seems to have taken on a new life. It's associated itself with all the computers and shows nice pictorial plans of same. This is interesting and may be of good use, but still, on one at least, it puts itself in between its icon and the router - breaking the double green lines. That I just don't understand. It gives the uncomfortable feeling everything has to go through the BA drive, but that's silly . . . isn't it?

I had a look in every folder, but didn't right click - so off to do that now.

Milo, as always, thanks for your input on this.

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Aug 2012, 00:41
Rivits
before you do that, does that unit use any client software on the associated PCs?
Or any configuration software? Just realised that it probably has its own web configuration interface in which you can assign user rights....
Better to look at that first

Loose rivets
2nd Aug 2012, 00:46
eee lad, what'r you doin' up?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/Capture-Copy.png

It required an install. That much I remember. I have the software, and some notes, but not the sobriety at the moment. Trouble is, when I sober up, me intellect fails me.:uhoh:

One will focus on the problem shortly.

DANG! Now everyone will deduce my name is Zob.

:(