PDA

View Full Version : Eva Cassidy is wonderful!

Surly Bondslipper
4th Apr 2002, 14:45
I am doubtless miles behind the times, but I have just heard Eva Cassidy sing for the first time, and it was a remarkable experience.

'Fields of Gold' was playing, and to bring a tear to the eye of a middle-aged, grumpy, emotionally constipated Englishman takes some doing, I can tell you. I have bought 'Songbird' and ordered the (sadly few) other CD's. Her early death has robbed us of one of the most uniquely moving voices I have heard, ever.

Does Eva catch other people like this?

AerBabe
4th Apr 2002, 14:58
Oh God yes! Did you know she was dying from cancer when she recorded 'Songbird'? You can hear it in her voice, and none of the other albums I have heard match up to the rawness of emotion. Such a pureness in her voice... Ahhh.... I wonder whether she would have such a hold on us if she hadn't sadly died at such a young age though? I think there's a good chance :)

ShyTorque
4th Apr 2002, 18:21
Surly B.

Yes, I agree; probably the most pitch-perfect voice I've ever heard.

However, I am sorry to inform you that you now qualify for a Terry Wogan's "TOG" (Terry's Old Geezer) badge.

Just don't ask me how I know, but I'm right.

ShyT

FlyingV
4th Apr 2002, 20:37
Glad to hear I'm not the only one so moved by her voice.

whiz
5th Apr 2002, 07:19
SB,

Absolutely, the most perfect voice I have ever heard. Each note is sung with such natural perfection that I, like yourself have to admit to her bringing a tear to a somewhat jaded and wordly worn set of eyes.
I have all her recordings on CD and again like yourself feel they are sadly few.
Guess the most fitting epitaph would be

'The Angels took her back'

itchy kitchin
5th Apr 2002, 10:45
Mmmm. That bit on "golden thread" (i think that's the name of the song) where she does that very high bit... Sublime! I still havn't heard from the glazers to replace the windows!

Sure beats the awful stuff we get force fed by the music industry.

Also in the same league is the soundtrack to "O Brother where art thou?";)

Bally Heck
5th Apr 2002, 10:54
"Oh, Had I a Golden Thread" Itchy.

The arrangement of Autumn Leaves on Songbird is so different and so much better than the original. Remarkable voice.

Imagine if she had entered one of those pop idol trash TV competitions. Would have only lasted one episode. No contest with the talent free also rans who eventually win them.