PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair pilot terms & endearment (Merged)

Uplinker
4th Apr 2002, 14:40
Would any new Ryanair F/O's be prepared to E-mail me to discuss Ryanair terms and conditions as they were when they joined. I am considering applying, and would like to get a more accurate view of the company and its working conditions. Thanks very much in advance.

Knold
5th Apr 2002, 06:16
Nothing but rumors here, yeah?

Delta Sierra
16th Dec 2004, 16:36
Hi,

I'm a 737 F/O with over 5500hrs and am considering joining Ryan Air ... Would like some UNBIASED information about the following...

1. average pay
2. accomodation costs
3. rostering patterns/leave
4. tax
5. additional information you might wish to jot down...
6. work conditions

Thanks for your help..

Delta Sierra

VIKING9
16th Dec 2004, 17:27
:uhoh: don't do it !!

Matty J
16th Dec 2004, 17:37
Just to echo the above post, DONT DO IT!!:oh::oh:

I work for Ryanair as a Dispatcher and i only know 1 pilot out of the 12 or so i see per day that actually likes flying for them!

Most Captains and F/O's hate it, in a year and a half i've seen alot of CP's move to other airlines.

With 5500hrs you can do alot better, trust me!

A fraise i hear alot is ''If i wanted to be treated like a bus driver, i'd drive a damn bus!''

Your call....

Matt:ok:

Riker
16th Dec 2004, 20:58
I've heard that, although its schedules are not so bad, it's not a "career" airline by any means. A lot of people go to get hours and then look elsewhere.... EasyJet and BMI might be looking for 737 pilots - especially on the NG at Easy (although most hiring at Easy is in the Bus). I'd consider Thomsonfly as well - I hear they are expanding and have pretty good conditions.

Good luck and let us know how you do...

wheelbarrow
16th Dec 2004, 21:26
matty j

A "fraise" is a French Strawberry. Unless of course you were being witty regarding the number of "Johnny Foreigners" flying for Ryanair.

Anyhow, Ryanair are a shower of sh1t to work for.:yuk:

Say Mach Number
17th Dec 2004, 07:43
I work there and it does 'what it say on the tin'.

Have been there more than most now and I work hard and get well paid about 5K net a month and a fixed roster.

Its not perfect by any means but I am a 7000hr Captain and if there was something better out there like for like I would be doing it.

If you want to stay in the UK and in Low Cost and like me my priorities are time off and money you cant beat Ryanair.

As I always say you could do a lot worse!

the grim repa
17th Dec 2004, 09:38
if you want just money and no life,join ryanair.
if you want less money and good life quality,you will find it elsewhere.
don't underestimate how bad it is in ryanair.

Rocco in Budapest
17th Dec 2004, 12:30
Ryanair is fine as long as you can stay away from Stansted and Dublin.

VIKING9
17th Dec 2004, 14:02
Rocco in Budapest not much hope of that is there as most of the crews at some point will frequent STN & DUB......

Delta Sierra I say again, don't do it or least have a real serious think about WHY you would :*

Wonder Boy
17th Dec 2004, 15:31
I am a First Officer in Ryanair and here is exactly how I am being payed in the first 12 months:

Type rating (4-6 WEEKS):

No pay

You then wait 2-4 weeks for base training without pay. After base training you are on the training contract basic rate for 6 months. This is an annual rate of 8700 pounds. However, you do not start getting payed this until after line training. Line training takes 2-3 months so you are therefore only payed on this rate for 3-4 months. Sounds complicated? It is purposely so.Not only that, but the company reduces this initial rate by 1000 pounds every year or so without notice. Next year you might therefore expect the rate to be 7700 pounds.

So, from the start of type rating until conclusion of line training you will only have earned about 750 pounds (half sector pay after safety pilot release and no basic salary yet).

About 3.5 months now remain until you finish your training contract. On the annual rate of 8700 (remember this will reduce eventually) you will earn 2530 basic in this time. Also, you will earn 2800 sector pay.

To sum up so far:

Day 1 to completion of line check ( 4 months) = 750 pounds

Line check to end of training contract (3.5 months) = 5330 pounds

Total after 7.5 months with the company = 6080 pounds.

It will now have been 6 months since base check. You will now go on the basic second officer terms. This amounts to a basic annual rate of 14000 pounds and half sector pay for a further 6 months.

In these 6 months you will therefore earn 7000 pounds basic and about 4800 pounds sector pay. This basic rate is also being reduced annually without notice.

Ok, here are the final figures (before tax) for the first 12 months after the base check:

Basic pay: 9530 pounds

Sector pay: 8350 pounds

Total: 17880 Pounds.

You can expect to remain on second officer pay scale for 18 months after line check. This will probably increase to a greater time period as time goes by.

VIKING9
17th Dec 2004, 16:02
You'd get more as an ATC Assistant :p (and more respect)

HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD
17th Dec 2004, 19:44
Who supplies the "Gimp Mask"?

Maxiumus
18th Dec 2004, 00:26
The company supply the Gimp Mask, payment of which is then deducted from your salary at a rate of £10 in perpetuity. You smile and accept this.

Tell us Wonder Boy, do you regret it yet?

Mobster lover
18th Dec 2004, 01:59
Good god, that's frightening. Why do people accept this crap? Will it continue, for all our sakes I hope not....

As maxiumus ask's, was it worth it??

Riker
18th Dec 2004, 02:45
Truly awful wages. However, who becomes a pilot with the goal of becoming rich? Nobody sane. It's a sad fact that this business does not pay well relative to other occupations and there is scant respect for pilots as well. We are viewed as glorified bus drivers - commodities willing to wh0re ourselves out to build time...

Well, get your valuable 737NG time and then leave for greener pastures - just don't expect the pastures to be "much" greener...

NoseGear
18th Dec 2004, 08:31
Riker, why do you think that is? Might be something to do with the fact that alot of you youngsters are willing to bend over and grab your ankles and so lose sight of the real value that should be applied to our profession.:mad: Bus drivers my ass, the only ******* who use that term for us are management.

Nosey

Maude Charlee
19th Dec 2004, 08:57
Don't forget that before the enormous pay packet, you also have to fork out 23000 Euros for the type rating, at your own expense and risk, with no guarantee of employment (though it is fair to say the prospect of employment is high).

At least with some other lo-co operators, basic pay is much higher from the word go, and type rating loans are repaid to you over a (typically) 3 year period, though the initial risk and costs are still your own, also without any guarantee of employment.

chikenscanfly
19th Dec 2004, 17:15
I dont think its entirely fair to comment that Ryanair always delivers what they say they will...they dont always "do what it says on the can"...

From the point of view of a type of flight crew of which Ryanair is already short of, yes, they will try and avoid scaring one away...

from the point of view of an F/O, against the long line of 200hr newborns, they will lie to you and constantly change the rules at every opportunity...

I have colleagues who have now been told they can wait another 6 months for their promotion...others are being informed the first 6 months after initial line check of half sector pay is now 6 months after permanent contract...

quarefellah
23rd Dec 2004, 10:31
Hi
Hope I don't drag this 'off topic' but did you mention that an ex Ruinair guy is on his way to our sandbox out here? Care to post that in the ME forum with a summary of what we camel drivers can expect???
Happy Christmas to all

Ms. Turret (Ozi)
23rd Dec 2004, 10:51
What Wonder Brat and the rest of the whingers fail to mention, Uplinker, is that you'll be flying a brand new glass NG Boeing. If like the others, you have no substantive experience to speak of, you might care to reflect on your great good fortune in having the opportunity, regardless of the starting T's and C's. Its a bit tough to begin with, but what worthwhile industry isn't? After the first year, you'll be taking home around 4000 quid per month after tax(UK bases). Worth a bit of discomfort in the beginning? I think so.

Boeing737
23rd Dec 2004, 10:54
hi, i always hear people complaining about the ryans, but can i ask specifically why its so bad to fly for them?any examples / stories to tell?i am interested to hear because i hope to fly for them one day soon.

Boeing737
23rd Dec 2004, 11:58
just as i suspected!why do the cadet FO's have it tough in the first year??

RVR800
23rd Dec 2004, 14:05
They are paid pitifully after forking out £loads at the start

Boeing737
23rd Dec 2004, 15:06
maybe im dellusional but, i thought that was standard??:8

whoops, sorry bout my spelling there!:8

Half_Cuban
23rd Dec 2004, 19:06
And after that if someone was from north of the border and wanted a base at PIK , would that take long?. And where would you likely be based until your choice came up.

NoseGear
23rd Dec 2004, 21:26
Ms Turret, you missed the point completely. Don't you think flying a "brand new glass NG Boeing" is worth something?:rolleyes: Like pay? Your types of attitudes are hurting this industry and are precisely why the wages are so low, get it?

Kaptin M
23rd Dec 2004, 22:03
Roll up, roll up.
You'll be flying a brand new glass NG Boeing filled with unsuspecting passengers, that Mr O'Reilly is willing to let you practice on.

Pay us only 45 quid a day for 4 months, and then YOU get to ride for FREE.
Roll up, roll up. New Boeings!!

Ramsey
24th Dec 2004, 09:57
The figure is right on for a very good month. But next month it might be £2500.
Expect £3500/month average as SENIOR FO and that is not after the first year but more likely after 2...
But any way the money IS very good in FR

chikenscanfly
24th Dec 2004, 22:30
Personnel Agendas?

In the land of the blind...

The majority of pilots dont like Ryanair, and many leave on a constant basis...one of the reasons why they are constantly on the look out for new pilots...

There are plenty of anti-Ryanair related topics on this website, just run a quick search and take your pick...one got censored by "the plaintiff" when they threatened legal action against this site!!

just shows how they dampen things down...Ms. Turret is either naieve or not what he/she appears to be...

A-3TWENTY
25th Dec 2004, 08:34
you hear just one person blaming one company....disregard,

but when you see lots of them who fly there doing the same.....consider.

I`ve flown for a company with the same problems and believe me things are like the way people say.

But if you decide to join a company like Ryanair ,you are not going to jail.....you can always leave....

:ok: :ok:

Ms. Turret (Ozi)
25th Dec 2004, 11:08
Majority my arse, Chooks. The vast majority of folks, whinging English nothwithstanding, are contented campers at Ryanair. The number of people leaving Ryanair when considered against our 800 strong pilot corps is average for the industry.
one of the reasons why they are constantly on the look out for new pilots...
The reason why we're on the lookout for pilots, Chooks old thing, is to staff our rapid expansion. And yes, private agenda. What the REPA thing is all about, even ignoring the vastly underwhelming exercise it has become, is the BALPA agenda to score a major LCC scalp, thereby entrenching the Pasha-like privileges of their legacy carrier members.

Ms. Turret (Ozi)
25th Dec 2004, 11:19
Missed the point, Nosegear? Thats some really first rate projection there! The opportunity for cadet pilots, those with nothing more than 300 hours in their logbooks, to commence their careers in so florid an environment as a highly profitable LCC is more than reward enough. The hardships only endure whilst one is under a training contract, and after that, the pay is anything but low, get it? The rewards of persistence and determination at Ryanair, as in life, are manifold.
:O

the grim repa
26th Dec 2004, 09:54
i love the way that the aussie refers to ryanair as "us" and "we".easy to see that he has not been on the recieving end of his beloved companies' training contract. crept in under the cover of brk when the turk was looking the other way.see you around the stn crewroom,yahoo!happy christmas.

cheers pete for the update!happy new year!

click
26th Dec 2004, 12:19
The vast majority of folks, whinging English nothwithstanding, are contented campers at Ryanair.

Your crews are campers? How about that?
So, start at Ryanair and bring your own tent? Hmm, at least our grinch lets us stay in the airplane for the 3 1/2 hour layover in ATH. :E

oskar
26th Dec 2004, 12:21
hi all,
I read the ryanair debate over and over again and I just wonder is there any positives from working with them, it all seems negative, I have friends that work there and like myself if had the chance jumped at paying for their type-rating. My friends tell me that they enjoy flying for them and say that it is a great opportunity and one downfall is that you find yourself living in places like italy and spain which is difficult if you are trying to watch your money in paying back loans.

This topic is for anyone working in ryanair that can give a positive side to the company and conditions if any. I would also like to know how they find taking out a loan for the type rating, paying it back and surviving on the low pay that ryanair are said to give low houred pilots.

It would be af great interest to hear how a recent low houred pilot has got on within the last couple of years from staring the typ rating with them, all feedback would be great

happy xmas and new year to all.

High Wing Drifter
26th Dec 2004, 15:21
Hark! Tis the sound of church bells a ringin' in the distance :D

NoseGear
27th Dec 2004, 10:07
You continue to miss the point Miss Turret. Lets not get into a slagging match as I think your comments on "stinking harbour", "do the chinese have that (xmas)?" show your complete ignorance of aviation and the wider world in general. I have never applied to Ryanair as I have no right of residency in Europe, just so you know where I stand. And do you honestly think I would trade where I am to work for Ryanair?? See above re: ignorance.:rolleyes:

Nosey

Mobster lover
27th Dec 2004, 10:19
So Ms. Turret, we should all be thankful that we are able to put money into the pockets of the Ryanair execs but not expect fair compensation for doing it?

Do me a favour. In any company, the employees allow the company to function, they are then rewarded by getting paid for their labour. Why should pilots be any different?

Unfortunately people with your attitude seem to be becoming more and more prevalent in this industry and it's stuffing it up for everybody else as they try to "get ahead of the game."

Bosses like O'Leary are laughing their socks off, they can get highly qualified people at no cost and then they'll work for free aswell! Who are the idiots here? It certainly isn't MO'L..........

Bealzebub
27th Dec 2004, 11:43
Ms. Turret (ozi) wrote ( and then removed it ).....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ryanair is wildly successful, and has no end of enthusiastic young men and women lining up to join, because it offers thing that few other companies do. Sexy brand new jets usually way out of reach for people with next to no experience.."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why has it traditionally been a good idea to put people with more than "next to no experience" into the right hand seat of a jet transport ? This is a trend that is spreading within the industry simply because it reduces the wage bill. I fear that only when the insurance companies wise up to this practice ( and that will happen when they are forced to reach into their pockets), will this practice be curtailed. If the premiums set for placing " no / very low experience pilots" in the flight deck, start to outweigh the commercial advantages then this practice will slow down. In my opinion the sooner the better. If some of the companies could get away with only using one driver, then they would do it in a heartbeat. This practice is the best they can get away with at the moment.

wheelbarrow
27th Dec 2004, 11:57
In addition:

No uniform paid for, No car parking, no crew food, no crew water, no uniform cleaning vouchers, no pension, no medicals paid for, no medical insurance, no PHi, no quality of life.

No SELF RESPECT.

Mobster lover
27th Dec 2004, 12:30
Sad???? It's not sad, it's ******* tragic that people debase themselves in such a way.

Ozi, my outlook differs from yours, since I have an ounce of self respect. This job is not all sweetness and light, and at the end of the day, it is just that, a JOB.

If I make money for somebody else, I expect a share of it. Simple as that. I don't go to work for the sake of my health, I do it because I have to to pay the bills. If I was in the situation where I didn't need to work, then I wouldn't.

Getting paid to work IS a right not a priveledge. The days of indentured slavery were thought to be over (maybe not anymore).
Ever heard the phrase "A fair days wage for a fair days work."?

As I said before, the idiots are not the management, but the saps who think they are helping themselves over the long run by accepting these T's and C's. In a few years time, why would the airlines ever employ any experienced F/O's when they can get newly minted ones for ****** all? Doing your long term career prospects a lot of good eh.....

The equipment I fly is only part of what makes my job enjoyable, flying IS fun, but how much time do you actually spend with your hands on the controls of a shiny NG jet??? For fun flying, give me an Extra 300 anyday of the week over a 73. At least I can actually afford to fly that myself. When you're my age, do you think you'll be able to if salaries and conditions keep dropping?

Why did you remove your post??

Maxiumus
27th Dec 2004, 22:59
Ozi is quite obviously management, or a management stooge at least.
Ozi, you speak continually of "our" record profits. Do you really think anyone gives a damn that we made x% more profit than last years y large amount, when the amount the pilots see of it diminishes in real terms by the year?

Delta Sierra
28th Dec 2004, 16:21
How much does one pay for accomodation on average?...I'm married..no children as yet..

and could you kindly enlighten me re their fixed roster patterns?

DS

batty
28th Dec 2004, 18:51
You can pay whatever you like for accomodation, a 2 bed semi rents at around £600-£900 pcm in the Stansted area. The contract guys generaly pay B&B at around £15-£20 per night.

Rosters for full time guys are 5 on 3 off. For the contractors it was 5 on 5 off the last I heard.

P1 Forever
28th Dec 2004, 19:39
Hello batty,

Why is the take home salary much lower for guys who are based abroad in Italy, Ireland compared with UK salaries??

I would have thought that for instance year 3 take home £3300, therefore being based in Ireland or Germany it's just a case of 3300 X 1.41 ( exchange rate ) = €4653 Euros

Thanks!

batty
28th Dec 2004, 23:07
Unfortuantly you would be wrong, each base has its own pay scale.

Maxiumus
29th Dec 2004, 11:40
Bealzebub,
I suspect Ms Turret removed said post when he realised he'd blown his (flimsy) cover and revealed both his management credentials (though they were rather obvious anyway) but also, and more importantly, FR's cavalier attitude towards the need for experience in the flight deck if its cheaper to do it another way.
I doubt we'll be seeing any more use of the handle Ms Turret.

Delta Sierra
29th Dec 2004, 12:18
Hi Batty or Ozi,

Would you be able to advise how much do you pay on average for accomodation if you are stationed in Ciampino or Bergamo? I'm married...no kids.

And would you know how much a senior first officer gets monthly if based in Italy? Net ( Could you also explain tax matters pls?)

and is it true that if you apply online and get accepted, you get a 6 month 6 month contract?

thanks a million guys...

Ms. Turret (Ozi)
30th Dec 2004, 11:44
Hi DS,
Bergamo isn't expensive, with very nice hotels in the old town that do great aircrew deals. If you want to be at the airport, there's a very good B and B not far away at around €45 per night. Ciampino is another kettle of fish, rather more expensive, but not too bad. Sorry I don't have specifics at hand. Money wise, are you to be a contractor or on a permanent FR contract? If the former, your roster will be a bit all over the place to start with, but generally following 5/5 unless you're 'based' in which case 5/3 applies. Tax matters in this case are your own obligation. If the latter, its about 3-4 thousand € per month after tax, as I understand. Good luck.

Hi Max, good to see you still lurking. The post was removed because I regreted its tone. The strength of my argument doesn't require such embelishments. I'm not management and my views are my own, formed over a quarter century flying planes all over the world. I like flying for Ryanair, and think its a great deal and a great company. So, it seems, do many others. No one holds a gun to the heads of cadet pilots, forcing them to accept the probationary training contracts on offer. It is what it is, and either accepted or rejected on its merrits. Most juniors take the view that short term discomfort is worth long term reward, and so do I. What strikes me as the ultimate hypocrasy though, are those who accept the contract and then start squeeling like stuck pigs at the dreadful unfairness and abuse of it all.

One thing above all strikes me as certain, though, and I'd be interested to learn of the views of others on this. LCC's are here to stay. When the dust settles in our part of the world, there will probably be Ryanair, Easyjet and Air Berlin with entrenched market share. Their impact in Europe is profound, as will shortly be discovered in Asia. Traditional ideas about T's and C's, and especially productivity, are under examination by all carriers, legacy and start ups alike. This has inevitably brought and will continue to bring unionised airlines into conflict with management, and I hold the view that its precisely for this reason we need tell BALPA/REPA to take a hike. I still believe that BALPA/REPA have a hidden ajenda, that being to score a major LCC scalp, thereby protecting the 'fur lined' conditions of legacy carriers a bit longer, and for this reason I will never be in favour of pilot unionisation. I've seen with my own eyes just how beligerent, how destructive they can be. I work hard and have made seven thousand quid so far this month, and all that without a union. Some may see that as self interest, but then you have no idea at how my career started out, the low pay and dreadful conditions I had to endure when I was a junior. Unionisation creates fewer opportunities for pilots to commence their careers. Companies like Ryanair produce and employ, are out there kicking goals whilst the BA's, Cathay's and Air France's of this world are building fences ever more quickly and wondering at the lie of the land in another 5 years....10 years. I put this question to the wannabees out there. Would you rather jump aboard and start your career in the fast lane, with all the dweadfullness of that nasty Mr O'Leary, or would you prefer to keep throwing money in the direction of BALPA and wait for your turn to come up at BA or Virgin...oh, but you need hours for that, don't you.:ok:

Delta Sierra
30th Dec 2004, 13:09
Hi OZ,

Thanks for yours.

What is best in your opinion to apply directly with FR or with a contractor? what's d difference? and if direclty with FR, do you get a permanent contract? 5 yrs as written on their website?

with regards to accomodation, does it have to be hotels? I mean, a modest appartment would fit the bill nicely i think..any idea of cost? and is Bergamo cheaper than Cia? thought otherwise..

a senior first officer gets 3-4k euros or sterling after tax? no big deal !

Thanks and best regards

Ms. Turret (Ozi)
30th Dec 2004, 13:15
Do both, DS. It doubles your chances of success. Both Brookfield and CAE in Amsterdam are actively looking at the moment, but you'll make more money as a contractor to begin with. If FR like the cut of your jib they'll offer you a permanent contract after a while anyway. Appartments are not usually difficult or expensive in BGY but quite a lot more expensive in CIA, where I'm told that around €1000 per month and you'll be living like Caesar, though possibly without the orgies.:E

Maxiumus
30th Dec 2004, 15:22
What strikes me as the ultimate hypocrasy though, are those who accept the contract and then start squeeling like stuck pigs at the dreadful unfairness and abuse of it all.

This, Ozi, is indeed a fair point. However, my points, which you seem to be missing are twofold:
a) if cadets refused en masse to accept these poor conditions, supply and demand would alter them upwards - a situation favourable to all but unseen by most low timers.
b) you say "Traditional ideas about T's and C's, and especially productivity, are under examination " - by "under examination" you mean in a relentless downward spiral, which the LCC's (and the pilots who previously refused to stand up to them) can be blamed for. Ringfencing the "good" conditions of BA/VS and creating better at FR is NOT a bad thing. Do we really want everyone dragged down to the lowest common denominator as you seem to advocate? Don't be conned by FR propaganda, if MOL is allowed to take his preferred course, do you really think Ts and Cs will improve anywhere??

the low pay and dreadful conditions I had to endure when I was a junior.
Hmm, bit like FR so. Hypocrisy here methinks.

Meeb
30th Dec 2004, 16:14
I still believe that BALPA/REPA have a hidden ajenda, that being to score a major LCC scalp

Last time I looked easyJet were a recognised company... and doing quite well out of it too... ;)

Methinks you are just a sad little management stooge... always could tell them a mile off... :mad:

Ms. Turret (Ozi)
30th Dec 2004, 17:46
Ah, Max....never a disappointment, but nice to hear from you nonetheless.
if cadets refused en masse to accept these poor conditions
They never will though, will they, and for precisely the reason why Ryanair is the success that it is. Supply and demand, or put more simply, market forces. It would be nice to think that Johnny Sixpack would be as offended with the effrontery of Ryanair and our like that you evidently are, Max, but the fact is people are wise to the studpidity of paying an extra 200 quid for a stale bap and a bit of rubber chicken. That cat is out of the bag. Equally, young pilots are (not before time) realising that they can take charge of their own lives, own careers, and join Ryanair and be getting on with it. Its called individual responsibility, Max, and doesn't require unions. Quite the contrary, we're thriving because we don't have them.

You suggest I have ignored to two prime points, Max. On the contrary, I have eclipsed them.
Unionisation creates fewer opportunities for pilots to commence their careers. Companies like Ryanair produce and employ, are out there kicking goals

Look at the great and enduring benefit unions have created across Britain over the ages, Max. Look at the shipbuilding left, look at the primary industries, all gone. BALPA is about feathering the nests of their greatest financial contributors, the Atlantic barons at BA et.al. That and, of course and as always, the maintenance and expansion of power. Wise up, everyone, and have nothing at all to do with them. They're poison to our business.

NoseGear
31st Dec 2004, 00:04
Where does all the ankle grabbing end Turret? First it was pay for your type rating, then, and in no particular order, uniforms, in flight water (really, can't even pay for that for your crews, pretty bloody pathetic) travel and accomodation when under line training and now I hear the next shafting is to pay for your own 6 monthly sim checks? All that really eats into the pay packet doesn't it?

I agree that LCC's are here to stay, I have no problem with that, as they fill a market niche, however, that does not mean that pilots can, and should according to your arguments, then get treated like the smelly stuff on the bottom of your shoe. We are professional's who deserve a reasonable compensation for our skills, how, as a pilot, can you not agree?

Ryanair is making huge profits, so which "Atlantic Baron" is getting fat on the toil of unpaid minnions at Ryanair? Hypocrisy reigns here in your posts mate, and its disgusting.:yuk:

Ms. Turret (Ozi)
31st Dec 2004, 11:44
Hi Nosey, sorry I disgust you, but your logic is, once again, all over the place.
I tend to agree with you about the water. The bill for it was ˆ340,000 per annum and is a lot of money in anyone's language. Water is still provided at every base, all that is required of us now is to fill a bottle from the water fountains. Something I consider to be nothing more than a minor inconvenience. You are plain wrong about the sim checks.

as they fill a market niche
Market niche, Nosey? 25% of every flown seat kilometer in Europe growing exponentially and us alone on track to carry more passengers, more profitably than BA during 2005? Hardly a market niche.
We are professional's who deserve a reasonable compensation for our skills
Couldn't agree more, Nosey. In fact, if my compensation were to move in any direction other than upward, I'd seek a better deal elsewhere, a luxury not available to those of us trapped in ludicrous seniority lists. This is a fact not lost on MOL. I earned ˆ11000 this month, Nosey, which I consider to be more than reasonable. How much did you earn?
Hypocrisy reigns here in your posts mate, and its disgusting.
No it doesn't Nosey. I have a different point of view than yours, based on my personal experiences of our profession. I suggest you see LCC's are more of a threat than you let on and you're right to be concerned. Its a changing world! You should be sure of your facts, though, lest your ranting causes offence to those less thick skinned than myself. All the best for a happy and prosperous 2005.

Single Flasher
2nd Jan 2005, 10:05
I have been watching this thread for a while and it seems as always to be the same old same old.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day there is ONE thing that controls the new free market economy and that is Supply and Demand.

In my mind there is no question that conditions and pay will continue to be eroded, AS LONG AS THE SUPPLY REMAINS. People are continuing to line up for jobs at Ryanair thus the above is enevitable. I think MOL had no idea 5 years ago just how low he could drop the conditions.

What will deter him from dropping conditions to half what they are now IF he has an adequate supply of pilots? NOTHING. It is a very simple equation. Not rocket science.

When I started it was full salary from day one, payed hotel for the duration of training AND allowances. My what a change.

Without solidarity, the only answer is to enjoy that one freedom in Ryanair to which we are all entitled and leave. Adios

Happy New Year to you all

SF

Ms. Turret (Ozi)
2nd Jan 2005, 12:01
Hi SF, and happy new year to you too.
When I started it was full salary from day one, payed hotel for the duration of training AND allowances.
This was the way of it in my last company. 2 sector days, hour and a half between turn arounds, 5 star hotels when down route.....ah, the luxury of it, ah the waste. The world seemed rather good as I perused the pages of the Financial Times......or so I thought. Needless to say, my last company went down the drain, finally collapsing under the burden of its colossal debt. When this experience occurs repeatedly, one's mind ineveitably turns to what may have caused such serial catastrophies.
The 'solidarity' you speak of SF, is in truth nothing more than a truncheon to malign effective management and divert them from the task of appropriate response in a rapidly changing market place. Frankly speaking, I would much rather be working for a strong, responsive, financially viable airline and put up with the minor irritations that come along with it, than be powdered, puffed and pampered by a company haemorrhaging cash. Profitability is the only sure guarantee of tenure in this or any business. I know this through bitter first hand experience, SF, and I can assure you that 'solidarity' was in every case either a critical symptom or direct cause of death.

I think you're spot on, though, when you suggest there are too many pilots being trained. FTO's are profit driven organisations like any other, but the irony is that in an unregulated, non-unionised workforce, companies like Ryanair can flourish, creating opportunities for hundreds of enthusiatic young pilots who otherwise would be condemned, if they're lucky, to GA or the minor league for much if not all their working lives.

GGV
2nd Jan 2005, 15:04
Way back on December 23rd this entirely fictitious Ryanair pilot Ms. Turret failed to respond to the accurate post by “Wonder Brat and the rest of the whingers” and came up with a figure of 4k. per month (“she” claims this would be worth the “discomfort” described by Wonder Brat). This 4k, via a post of “7k so far this month” is now 11k per month. The trick is to persuade you to do lots of multiplying by 12, plus some self-persuasion that it would be worth it “in the short term” or “just to get started” or even worth it “in the long term when I can earn that kind of money”.

There have been enough warnings here to know exactly what you are getting into if you join Ryanair. If you are going to do it however, just do this: get them to tell you, in writing, IN ADVANCE OF BEING TRAPPED what you terms and conditions will be. The more junior and the more inexperienced you are THE MORE IMPORTANT THIS ADVICE. When they tell you that you will get your final contract later, this will constitute your final chance to escape.

Hey there mistress Ozi, any chance you could tell us about this paradise – the one you describe above: “…my last company. 2 sector days, hour and a half between turn arounds, 5 star hotels when down route..”? Which company paradise was this - like the NAME!?

NoseGear
3rd Jan 2005, 09:32
Your thinly veiled threat is a joke Ms Turret. How much did I earn? Is mine bigger than yours?:rolleyes: This thread is about the appaling COS at Ryanair, and you can try and sugarcoat it as much as you like, but the reality is, it's crap. Now, you seem to be going off on a tangent about the "bad old days" when pilots were treated like people, god forbid. How is it then, that here we still get the 5 star treatment, water and food (!) and continue to make a very sizeable profit every year? You can't blame the pilots, or the unions, for causing airline bankruptcy. Why don't management (thats obviously what you are) ever blame themselves and their piss poor management and business plans when things go wrong? Its always the same, blame the pilots, its their wages that made us go broke!:yuk: You can't "save" an airline into profitability. I understand that Ryanair does not yet have that problem, and good on them for making money, but why not share the wealth a little? You have a very unhappy workforce, so time to remove head from ass and realise that. If you want to go around bagging other airlines, because they have a good COS for their staff, and call them power hungry Atlantic Barons, then you had be pretty bloody sure your not doing the same.
It might interest you to note the thread running about the tsunami victims being charged exhorbitant fees to get home, maybe, as a management type, you would like to explain that little pearler?:suspect: Nice one Ryanair top brass.:yuk:

Ms. Turret (Ozi)
3rd Jan 2005, 21:03
“7k so far this month” is now 11k per month.
Actually, GGV, my statement is absolutely correct. "over 7000 quid so far this month" translates nicely to €11000, unfortunately, the € symbol didn't work in the relevant post. Sorry you're so easily misled. That’s how much I made, though, may MOL strike me dead if I tell a lie.
This thread is about the appaling COS at Ryanair, SIC my italics
Hiya Nosey, but love, they aren't appalling. They're fabulous. Perhaps you and I measure success differently, but things like fabulous new, well maintained jets, plenty of variety, and sleeping in my own bed every night actually do mean something to me...in fact, it means a great deal. That why I choose to fly at Ryanair, and that’s why I like it…quite a lot, as you may gather.
How is it then, that here we still get the 5 star treatment, water and food (!) and continue to make a very sizeable profit every year?
Simple, Nosey. The Asian LCC's are just launching. Lets have this conversation again in a year or so, shall we? We’ll compare T and C notes.
its their wages that made us go broke!
Not wages, Nosey. This is the ancient and profoundly wrong smoke screen that's unions traditionally favour to mask their more wicked activities. The wages, generally speaking, are chump change given the overall balance sheet of most (non-American) airlines. Its the threat to the business model and, crucially, continued production that represents the knife held to the throat of airline businesses. And like all terrorists, pilot unions have learned a long time ago that if they threaten to rape the daughters, you can get whatever you want from daddy.
but why not share the wealth a little?
Gotcha! Fresh from the pages of Das Capitaal. Liberation of the proletariat, commitment to the unending class struggle, ad nauseum. Nosegear, old chum, by extension of your somewhat outdated logic, I presume you'd advocate reimbursing the losses of companies who treat you well yet fail to realise a profit in the marketplace? Were you around sharing the risk, sharing the overdraught when the Ryan family had their collective backs against the wall looking at the very real possibility of total ruin? I don’t think so. You’re keen to shove your hand out when times are good, though. Risk equals reward, Nosey, in life, in business, in love, in everything.

Listen carefully. If you don't like what we at Ryanair have on offer, stay away. If you're already here and don't like it, leave. The market will determine our success or failure as an airline, and the market will determine, whether you like it or not, Nosey, the nature of the terms and conditions Ryanair offers to its pilot employees. I'm one of them, around for longer in this business than I care to remember, and I took home to my family’s table over €11000 last month, and yes, dreadful as it may seem, I actually had to fill a water bottle and take a jar of Nescafé to work in my flight bag. Oh dear! :{

redsnail
4th Jan 2005, 00:06
Ms. Turret (Ozi) = Moritz Suter.

NoseGear
4th Jan 2005, 07:36
I have to say Ms Turret, you have crossed a very sensitive line by aligning pilot unions with terrorists. I think an apology is in order there mate, and fast. I also see (a while ago) we will never agree, however, I would, along with others, like to see answers to the questions posed.
If you read carefully, instead of looking for ways to turn my points into some kind of attack on successful companies, then you would note that I am not against companies such as Ryanair making money. But why not, if you are as successful as you say, start to look after your employees? Its a simple question. It's not about some old Das Capital or whatever you think you are quoting there. As for sticking my hand out, you have obviously not heard of SARS and the way the company and employees came together. Maybe look that up before you sling your crap as facts.
I will see you in a year, then we will compare T's and C's. I look forward to it and an apology for your appaling comment above.:mad:

GGV
4th Jan 2005, 08:27
Turret-Ozi. You are an appalling piece of work and it comes as no surprise that you work for a company peopled by an appalling, offensive, bullying and generally objectionable senior management team which is devoid of any moral substance. You complain about marxist ideologues without apparently having the faintest sense of how utterly ideological you are yourself - and all of your posts, regardless of the identity you use - always revert to the same extemist ideological message: "greed is good" and "money is the measure of all things". Like all ideologues, the world will catch up with you and reality will come to bear. You can then retire sure in the knowledge that the world has not been equal to your superiour skills. Nothing, not all the money in the world, can compensate you for being so utterly repugnant and objectionable, not that you will ever notice.

You will not, of course, withdraw the terrorist statement you made above. I justify my comments above on the utter unacceptability of your comment.

SR71
4th Jan 2005, 08:45
There I was thinking unions evolved for a reason...

:rolleyes:

Joe le Taxi
4th Jan 2005, 14:42
As the big red caveat at the bottom of the page so clearly applies to the malodourous Ms Turret, has the time not come to ban this berk of questionable gender from these columns?

Maxiumus
4th Jan 2005, 16:52
Its the threat to the business model and, crucially, continued production that represents the knife held to the throat of airline businesses.

Hmm, being treated like people is a threat to the business model is it? How then do so many other successful airline and non-airline companies combine high staff satisfaction with vast financial success?
As a manager, Ozi, you clearly missed out of the valuable lesson that the happier the staff, the more productive they are.
I also submit that the real "knife held to the throat of airline businesses" is in fact vastly incompetent management. I could list numerous examples here of how management, not the pilots, got airlines into the financial trouble that killed/crippled them. But I can't really be bothered getting into a pi$$ing contest with someone who, if not my esteemed CEO in person, is someone acting as his mouthpiece. We all know who I'm talking about.
Did no-one tell you that your brand of IR went out, as unsustainable, with the Dickension era?

By the way, and lastly, €340,000 for the water for one year is 0.15% of the 2004 profit of €226m (as an accountant, you probably know that anyway). A case of penny sensible and pound foolish?

Joe le Taxi:
Ban Ozi, I think not? This is the kind of censorship that he would love within FR. No need to lower to that level. Anyway, his twitterings are amusing.

Bratko
5th Jan 2005, 10:18
Dear Miss Turret,

A great piece of union bashing. I don’t work for your company, but I do share your work place in the European sky, so I will make a comment or two. Know of any companies that went T/U because of a Union? I know of none. I do however know lots that are now has -beens because of arrogant and greedy managers. What “hidden union agenda”? Your company was modeled after WN, or South West Airlines. You might want to take a better look, as they are one of the most successful airlines on the planet, and guess what they are the MOST UNIONIZED ONE, in the U.S. aviation market place. Funny huh? Their pilots are well paid, may be one of the best paid 737 drivers in America, and guess what they use a SENIORITY based system. The premise of treating your employees like people is what makes a winning team, you’ll find that out sooner or later. Good work REPA !!!!!! WE behind the old iron curtain are far away from all this, but it sounds all too familiar, we do stand in solidarity, at least some of us!!!!!!!

Bratko

RAT 5
5th Jan 2005, 16:14
In modern times I was of the opinion that the best way unions could enhance the lot of their members was to ensure the continuing and most profitable future of their employers. Employees do not want to spend a life changing horses unnecessarily, but would like a steady FAIR career. Unions in a public quoted company have no interest in their members committing financial suicide, and will not aid nor abet it.
Management should have the same goal, but as often seen, their aim is short-term self gain with little long-term responsibility to their charge of care. It should not be thus, but history bears it out.

Now Ms Turret, which of these 2 parties has the best interest of the airline at heart? The one who wishes to operate on the principle of:
1. a fair days works for a fair days age,
2. mutual respect
3. solid team working towards the same goal

or the one who operates on the principle of:
1. unilateral decision making including change of T's & C's
2. disrespect & indeed loathing of employees who are not simple minded 'yes' men
3. no care about morale, and encouragment of career minded employees. If you leave there are more where you came from.
4. demands/expects total loyalty & flexibility at whatever personal cost.

Why is it that neraly every airline management operates completely outside the CRM box which it insists its flight crew work within? Those that do the former are in the vast majority and use management techniques that are medieval and were disgraced decades ago. Somewhere there is a special airline management college, hidden so deep, that it has remained untouched by the modern industrial world.

Unions were formed to provide a balance/opposition to such mamagement methods. The lack of discussion and mutual respect caused the destructive "them & us' attitude of a few decades ago. Mistrust etc.
I know of 1 airline where this was the case and it was losing money. Unhappy workforce, which was unionised, was uncooperative and unproductive. In came a caring but strict business minded management. they formed a team with the employees & union and established that they were all a team focused on the same goal. T's & C's improved and they turned round into a profit. Shock horror.
Sadly with the new breed of macho managers associated with LCC's. especially, as long as they make a profit there is no reason to change. The bottom line will make the rules. Damn shame.

the grim repa
7th Jan 2005, 20:01
good on ya,mick turret(oxi).

NoseGear
8th Jan 2005, 23:19
Ozi, waiting for the paint to dry before you try to get out of that corner your in?:rolleyes:

Waiting on that apology mate.............

Nosey

the grim repa
9th Jan 2005, 15:59
nosey,don't you know that ryanair never apologises.

in aligning pilots with terrorists,we may have in ms.turret one and the same persons who delivered the recent ryanair memo advocating joining the taliban.

i think ryanair are the leaders in financial terrorism.screwing everybody for the last buck.