PDA

View Full Version : King Air B200

mlee
31st Jul 2012, 13:07
Hi, could anyone please tell me does a B200 have a critical engine, if so which side?

Regards

reflector
31st Jul 2012, 13:36
it doesn't have counter rotating props, but I'm not sure which way it rotates.

mcfly747
31st Jul 2012, 15:49
Both Props spin clockwise from the pilots view so the L eng should be critical. But I've never heard of a B200 critical Engine and I think this is because of the Rudder Boost system, or maybe because the Rudder is angled slightly.

chaitanya
9th Aug 2012, 05:33
B200 has got auto-feather system, so it has got no critical engine.

Turbavykas
9th Aug 2012, 07:28
I don't think auto-feather has anything to do with critical engine.

WX Man
10th Aug 2012, 15:42
Rudder boost and autofeather have got nothing to do with which engine is critical.

The critical engine on anything with 2 props is the one where the downgoing blade is inboard. This applies in all cases except where the prop is fitted to a boat.

Both engines rotate clockwise as viewed from behind, which means that the left engine is critical.

This is because the downgoing blade produces more thrust than the upgoing blade (do not ask me why), so on the KA the centre of thrust is slightly further inboard than on the RH engine.

Therefore if the LH engine fails, the yawing moment to the left is greater than the yawing moment to the right if the RH engine fails. Hence the LH engine is critical, viz., it's slightly more serious if the LH engine fails.

FWIW, an engine failure on a KA seems (if the sim is to be believed) quite an easy thing to deal with- providing the autofeather has operated.. Even at max weight, with engine failure at 100' after take off (so probably accelerating through about 110kts) there's plenty of power (certainly in a 200) to climb away at Vyse of 121kts. If autofeather hasn't operated, you really need to feather the failed engine promptly in order to make situation safe.

Note that I said promptly, not quickly. Promptly = correct identification of the failed engine. That's one reason why it's nice to operate these things 2 crew!!!

de facto
11th Aug 2012, 05:52
That's one reason why it's nice to operate these things 2 crew!!!
Its all about training...
Operated the Be1900 single crew no AP.The engines are quite reliable and got lucky my flying was mostly quite enjoyable and quiet compared to the SA227.

powerstall
11th Aug 2012, 12:38
Miss flying the ol SKA-350, gotta love that rudder boost! :D

hingey
13th Aug 2012, 14:08
WX Man, did you do all your engine failures in the sim? All my 90 training was done on the aircraft, including engine failures with the autofeather off. Simpler drill than in a Seneca and relatively benign. We had non standard props though, and going fully fine actually decreased the climb rate at Vyse.

Go Smoke
13th Aug 2012, 20:24
@ WX Man This is because the down going blade produces more thrust than the up going blade (do not ask me why)

The downgoing blade is advancing into the 'relative' airflow faster than the up going blade, hence greater angle of attack, hence greater 'lift' (thrust)

It is, effectively, covering a greater distance in the same time period so therefore faster than up going blade............hmm wish I had a blackboard to draw it for you.

Usually exacerbated with a high 'pitch' angle relative to airflow.

Fullagas
18th Aug 2012, 05:44
No offense, but I can't believe 'pro pilots' would even post such a lack of basic aerodynamics. No critical engine? Only if it's counter-rotating. Maybe dig out a book before asking, or posting. :ugh: