PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the "Top end"

archerlover
31st Jul 2012, 01:51
Hi there

I was wondering how the success rate was this year in the n.t and western side
for low hour pilots for the dry season ? It would be great to hear from some of you that did manage to get work this season, since the other threads are a bit "long in the tooth " .It would be great to know what hours you did have to give me an idea on the current situation up there.

I appreciate any info you guys have.

Cheers

deadcut
31st Jul 2012, 05:17
Mate,

I'm heading up there next week.
I believe if you want to find work in the top end you have to make the move there and wait.

PM me if you are thinking of going.

Deadcut.
Edit: By wait i mean go to the top end and look for a job. Sending emails from NZ or Melbourne will do no good.

Hasselhof
31st Jul 2012, 05:32
Just to clarify, you don't go north and wait. You go north and work your arse off trying to find a job. Nothing good comes to those who wait in this industry.

archerlover
31st Jul 2012, 13:53
thanks for the replys guys. Tweeky well done mate you will be stoked may i ask roughly what hours and and type experience you had to get the job? Good plan dead cut nothing better than talking with an potential employer face to face .

SpyderPig
31st Jul 2012, 14:17
Theres jobs up here, but it really is true that being up here really helps. I landed a job here in the nt in feb not too far from darwin flying charter 210s. Had a little over 200hr with mecir and no 200 time. about to hit 500hrs and loving every minute of it! :cool:

archerlover
31st Jul 2012, 14:25
Thats fantastic SpyderPig sounds like you are having a blast! Would you say now that there is movement up where you are of pilots moving to the next job and lots more spaces for newbies, or is there still a lot of unemployed newbie pilots hanging around the towns waiting like there was a few years back ?

kalavo
31st Jul 2012, 22:52
archerlover: You'll never never know, if you never never go.

archerlover
1st Aug 2012, 02:25
Hi Kalavo

Yes i realise that but at this stage i am not ready to go up there yet i am just putting my feelers out. When i am ready i will be up there like a shot out of a gun i strongly believe like you said that if your not up there you will be waiting forever.

Cheers

huntsman
4th Aug 2012, 01:00
i know where there's a job for a low-timer, but not many seem too keen to make the trek ''up north''.

seneca208
4th Aug 2012, 01:19
post up the company and I bet there will be 20 guys there by Monday :}

I don't know what it's like for most young guys, but for me its simply a money issue. I probably have enough to drive one way, and if I find a job in the first week, then no dramas, otherwise who knows..

sky_pilot
4th Aug 2012, 02:38
I moved up North from Melbourne early in the year. Best decision I have made so far.

Even though you may not score a gig within the first week let alone month, some of the people you meet and places you visit along the way looking for the first job is something you will remember for a long time.

If you stick it out, eventually someone will give you work. This season started later than usual from what I have heard. But their is still plenty of jobs if you know where to look for them.

:ok:

aeromatt
4th Aug 2012, 03:54
i know where there's a job for a low-timer, but not many seem too keen to make the trek ''up north''

Where......?

morno
4th Aug 2012, 05:58
I probably have enough to drive one way, and if I find a job in the first week, then no dramas, otherwise who knows..

What's wrong with driving one way then finding a job working in a servo or something first?

seneca208
4th Aug 2012, 07:06
There's not a problem with that morno- if it were possible. I guess I can't say for sure as I've never been there, but if it's like QLD I know there just aren't as many jobs as there used to be.

NzCaptainAndrew
4th Aug 2012, 07:09
I was super lucky, emailed a skydiving company in WA and got the job flying the 206, I had a lapsed MEIR and just over 200TT AND was living in NZ at the time.

Sometimes its being at the right place and right time.. and being lucky as F&^K!!:}:}

Enjoying every moment of it.:ok:

Dont give up hope! Keep searching, do everything in your power. If your willing to go where ever, there will be a job for you!

NIK320
4th Aug 2012, 09:26
Ben093 money isn't the issue, patience is the issue.
I have spent the best part of a year saving up to have what I feel is a comfortable cash base to go north on.

I got lucky with some token flying with an operator I answer phones and sweeping hangars for which helped with the savings. I'm sure even if I did have to pay for a few flights to keep current you would still be able to save some coin.

damo1089
4th Aug 2012, 10:48
Sending emails from NZ or Melbourne will do no good.

I don't typically endorse the whole stay at home and find a job angle, but have made it work twice now. So it can be done, just don't rely on it.

framer
4th Aug 2012, 12:20
Ben 093, just go mate, if you've got enough to get there just go. Spend your mornings looking for flying work and your arvo's looking for any other type of work and live out of your car if it comes to it. Have a bit of faith in yourself that you can pull it off.

TOUCH-AND-GO
4th Aug 2012, 12:59
i know where there's a job for a low-timer, but not many seem too keen to make the trek ''up north''.

PM me the details and I'll be up there by Tuesday! :}

Ben, your not the only one with a money issue. I also have debt to pay off from my training as well, so I do understand were your coming from.

I also just have enough money to make the trip north and last for a few weeks, but like morno said "What's wrong with driving one way then finding a job working in a servo or something first?" Well for me it's a big gamble to take. What happens if I go up and can't seem to find any work at all? :suspect:

I'm just planning for the worst case scenario, just don't feel comfortable with going up there and risking it with such a little amount.

Before anyone decides to criticize me on complaining! :E Do understand that I am currently working (casually) and putting effort to save up as much as I can in a limited amount of time, so I could finally make this trip happen!!!

Safe flying. :ok:

T&G

morno
5th Aug 2012, 03:18
Not sure if things have changed in the last few years, but Darwin suffers quite badly from an unskilled workers shortage. Ie. servo workers, retail workers, etc.

Your chances of not being able to find a job, if you put in the effort, are very minimal!

morno

tweekey
5th Aug 2012, 04:53
If your that concerned about not being able to get work until you crack a flying gig.. Ring around some job agency's before you head up and get a feel for how much work is around. If you can't get non flying work in Darwin, there's something wrong with you

anthos92
5th Aug 2012, 11:57
There is a massive shortage of GA instructors in Darwin at the moment. I'm not too sure how many jobs are available for fresh (less than 300HR) CPL pilots to be honest as i haven't asked around. I agree with the other posts, the only thing to do is make an appearance face to face at the many GA operators and dont let their desk girl turn you away. Can I suggest also don't keep a narrow mind with the "Darwin Darwin Darwin' approach like a lot of others. There's a good GA presence in Katherine and Alice Springs etc etc,. If your willing to keep and open mind and do the hard yards as a glassy or something first up here you will be sure to get success eventually.

Maybe its worth a look here?
Jobs in Northern Territory - Gumtree Australia (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-jobs/nt/c9302l3008840?ad=offering)

Mango
5th Aug 2012, 19:09
For the wannabe pilot,

I drove to Darwin in a bomb of a car (mid 90s). I slept in it, ate in it and basicly lived like a long grasser. Today I'm about to fly a 380, living overseas and driving a slightly better car.

It's about attitude, desire and persistence.

anthos92
6th Aug 2012, 02:52
If I had just finished my CPL and was looking for my first job, no matter where I was from in Oz, I would be heading straight to the top end.

tweekey
6th Aug 2012, 08:55
There's no shortage of flying instructors in Darwin, there's only one school

BlatantLiar
6th Aug 2012, 09:23
Thats ok, the reason I paid $20k for an instructors rating was so I wouldnt have to go up to the sticky north.

morno
6th Aug 2012, 10:44
Can we get rid of this idiot please Mods? His posts are annoying

anthos92
6th Aug 2012, 11:29
Maybe you should check the availability of training at that one school, then think why there is no one else offering instruction? Then even maybe look as to why even the RA-Aus guy is busy at emmkaytee.. Then maybe you could rethink your opinion of work for a GA instructor up here?

tweekey
6th Aug 2012, 21:49
Anthos92, your post doesn't really make sense..

So your saying there is limited avaliability at that one school, and thats why no one else is offering instruction in Darwin?

Cirronimbus
7th Aug 2012, 21:42
Perhaps not so short of instructors but more like a shortage of reasonable training aircraft?

Pinky the pilot
12th Aug 2012, 05:55
It's about attitude, desire and persistence.

Amen to that.:ok:

Well done Mango me old. Been wondering what you've been up to lately.

maybegunnadoo
12th Aug 2012, 06:34
Gent
There is HEAPS of work in Darwin to keep you going until that flying gig comes along. This also applies outside of Darwin too. However please note it is VERY expensive to live up here. $90-100 for 2 bags of grocerys, $200+ a week for a room, the caravan parks are all full etc.

However do not let this put you off. You've spent all this money and effort getting to where you are, so whats a bit more? Just another bit of your investment in yourself really. And one last thing...don't exit that GA job until you get your ATPL and 500 twin. Far to many blokes are currently stuck in the right seat that can't get upgraded easily because they jumped to early. The blokes that now come in with those necesary hours are moving past them because they were willing to stay in GA that bit longer.

Either way enjoy it, 'cos punting a computer from ILS to ILS does not generate the war stories you'll tell your kids:ok:

seneca208
12th Aug 2012, 06:48
Darwin isn't the problem. Plenty of jobs around there. But where in Darwin can a 250hr CPL get a job? All the employers I have spoken to were great, but asked me to come back in 200hrs time. I only really know of 1 employer up there who might give me a shot, but other than that it seems as if Broome is the go. If Darwin is expensive for living and groceries, I can only imagine how much more expensive Broome is, plus much fewer jobs.