PDA

View Full Version : CPL/IR

sam92
30th Jul 2012, 16:00
I'm just about to commence my CPL/IR in the next month and i was just wondering what are the pro's and con's of completing IR first on a multi-engine aircraft??

The_green_penguin
1st Aug 2012, 09:29
Have you ever flown a twin before...?? If not, I would say attempting the IR would be a right pain in the a*se if you have little ME experience, the IR is high enough workload as it is... Imagine trying to learn to juggle and keeping all those balls up in the air and then someone ties an arm behind your back....

NDB hold/approach down to MDA followed by an asymmetric go around all within tolerances is a lot to ask, I would say (unless you are super-brain :ok:)... I had 30 odd hours in a ME aircraft before I took on the IR... and I was glad for every single one of them!!

mad_jock
1st Aug 2012, 09:46
I did twin/IR first. You used to have to have done the twin training and passed the skills test before the IR test.

I didn't have much problems to behonest but...

The school I was at part of the deal was you got free solo time on the FNPT II and I did 50-100 hours on that solo.

The next thing you have to deal with is getting your looking out the window head back on for the CPL and also single engine work.

After a couple of hours in the single and finding out the differences in test I said sod it and did the CPL in the twin as well. Didn't cost that much more and I think it would have cost me more in additional training to get all the single work up to scratch.

sam92
2nd Aug 2012, 16:13
Thanks MadJock, yeah originally i was planning on doing CPL first but now some new EASA regulation (which im not entirely sure of) states if i do CPL first i will not have enough hours after completion. :uhoh:

I will be doing both on the Twinstar.