PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos

guyleedsutd
30th Jul 2012, 15:40
Hi all I am a newcomer to this site and am currently training for my ppl.My aim is to go cpl/ir but my question to yourselves is I have tattoos on my upper and lower arms and was wondering if companies would hire me or not with these as the industry is perceived to have fresh faced clean shaven first officers and captains

Fanor
31st Jul 2012, 01:01
IMO. If it can be easily covered up it should be no problem. But seeing that you have one on your lower arm the higher rep airlines e.g. BA, Emirates etc might not hire. They look for people with professional looks as well as the right experience.

However those smaller airlines e.g. regionals or island hopping businesses might not mind so much.

Tinstaafl
31st Jul 2012, 01:33
Wear long sleeved shirts.

Halfbaked_Boy
31st Jul 2012, 02:16
What the poster above me said.

I know a handful of airline pilots (UK airlines) with visible tattoos on lower arms who presumably wear short sleeved shirts during Summer (and don't have a problem), or long sleeves rolled up when on the flight deck.

To be accurate, however, all of them only had the further tattoos on their lower arms done once they'd been employed for x years at their airline, I guess because they felt 'safe' to do so.

As for your perception, that's all it really is, a 'perception'. There's some truth to it, but believe me, based on some of the people I know who are flying airliners, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Long sleeved shirts (not really a problem as you'll be in a suit anyway) for interviews, keep your mouth shut just in case, and again, don't worry about it.

Halfwayback
31st Jul 2012, 06:34
Guy
This has been asked and answered many times before - may I suggest a bit of research using the Search function?
HWB