PDA

View Full Version : Training and working in Australia

bigfatsam
30th Jul 2012, 14:47
Hey all,
I was thinking of moving to Australia before starting my ME CPL IR. I will already have my EASA/JAA ATPL exams done by then though and i was wondering if i will have to do Australian ATPL exams before starting the flight training.
Cheers,
S

mcdonnst
30th Jul 2012, 18:38
You will have to do 7 exams (maybe 8 cant remember). That is for CPL and then another 7 if you want an ATPL.

CASA do not recognise theory. If you held a EASA CPL licence then you would only need to do the Air law exam.

I have done the CASA exams and just finished the EASA ATPLs. Australian CPL exams are easier.

deadcut
31st Jul 2012, 05:15
You can do training in Australia no problem.

Since you are coming from Europe? im guessing, you will have no chance of finding work unless you have residency or a work permit.

whiskey1
31st Jul 2012, 06:17
Are you an Australian Citizen?
If not, how do you intend to gain a work Visa?
Working without the appropriate Visa is a great way to get deported!

W1

bigfatsam
31st Jul 2012, 10:57
I have family over there so i will live with them and get a visa to work. i will work for art & design company while doing my flight training. Do you think that will work? :P
S

Tinstaafl
31st Jul 2012, 12:46
Don't plan on working until you have the work visa. Just having family to stay with doesn't necessarily mean you're eligible for a work visa.

As for exams, Australia, like pretty much every country, only recognises licences that have been issued, and doesn't credit exams that were completed in preparation for a foreign licence. In fact, Oz does a better job (from a licence conversion candidate's perspective) than Europe or the USA: A single law exam to ensure you understand the rules, a flight review (or possibly a flight test. Can't remember) and some paperwork + money. Even type ratings are a 'rubber stamp' carry over. Compare that to converting to JAA/EASA or FAA.

bigfatsam
31st Jul 2012, 13:05
Thanks for the replies all!!! :-)