PDA

View Full Version : Flybe/Stella aviation MPL part sponsorship

KiloMike737
30th Jul 2012, 12:58
Anyone familiar with the MPL sponsorship between Flybe and Stella aviation academy in the Netherlands?
www.fly-for-flybe.eu (http://www.fly-for-flybe.eu)

PURPLE PITOT
10th Aug 2012, 11:47
Would that be a scheme that ties you to one company, and an ageing type, whilst shafting your terms and conditions?

PURPLE PITOT
11th Aug 2012, 12:17
And thats why they have you by the balls!

speedrestriction
11th Aug 2012, 12:28
Purple Pitot,

For someone looking to get a reasonably safe entry into the profession there are few better schemes. No not the most useful type to have but taking the long view, moving up in the industry is all about having the hours. 1500 hours on a dash with an ATPL will open up many more doors than 250 hours CPL/IR followed by three years of non-flying work. It is a bit like snakes and ladders, when you find a ladder in this industry you a fool if you don't climb it when you have the chance - with the snakes you don't get the luxury of choice.

PURPLE PITOT
11th Aug 2012, 17:03
Unfortunately, in the current climate, turboprop hours are worth nothing. You will still have to buy a jet type.

Not saying it's right. Just the way things are at the moment. Hopefully in 5 years time the rich kids will have bankrupt their parents, and left the market.

Or with the inevitable smoking hole, the rules will change!

speedrestriction
11th Aug 2012, 21:52
Purple Pitot,

Plenty of people have within the past 12 months moved and are moving from BE with only TP hours to BA, Monarch, Qatar, Fly Dubai and maybe some I don't know about. Thankfully recruiters for airlines think TP hours are worth something even if you don't.

PH-Chucky
13th Aug 2012, 11:51
Don't do your flighttraining at Stella!!

They are only concerned about the money you pay. It's also the flightschool that increased from 50 to 150 students per year during the biggest crisis we've ever had. But they don't mind cuz it's only about the money you pay!

FlyBe might be a nice company to work for, but they pay you ****! Don't forget that you still have to pay back 80K/100K for your flighttraining so take of 1000 euro per month to pay your loan back and then tell me again what you're really earning at FlyBe... (:mad:).

And about the MPL, it was designed to make the flighttraining cheaper. But it only made the training worse because you are dedicated to one company. And therefore it is ridicolous to pay 100K for a training and to get a license to work only for one (!) company that pay's :mad:.... They do not even guarantee a job!

So whoever is interested, dont do it:
- :mad: payment
- huge loan
- no garantee

You end up paying the bill and taking all the risks!!

average-punter
13th Aug 2012, 12:00
About Stella: I can't comment.

They pay you :mad:? I think it's 28k starting salary... not bad for your first job in the industry! You also don't have to pay for your TR (well you are bonded for it and only have to pay should you decide to leave before 3 years).

OK, They don't guarantee you a job, but you get a conditional offer of employment if you successfully complete the course to the specified standard. Even BA didn't guarantee their cadets a job 20 years ago.

Edit: before you ask, no, I haven't applied nor am I in any way involved with this scheme.

PH-Chucky
13th Aug 2012, 16:08
Don't you guys have any dignity...?

Please mind that you have to invest 100K euro for flight training, so that means that you have to PAY BACK this amount of many over the next years.

So if you want to talk about salaries, first deduct 1000 euro to compensate for interest and paying back your loan.

Say again the salary is ok....?

Yes, I know conditions are terrible these days, but it still is NOT A GOOD SALARY!

speedrestriction
13th Aug 2012, 16:52
At current exchange rate basic Y1 FO salary is just over €36k. Not breathtaking but four years in and on the ejet as SFO you will earn €60k basic. I you then consider the extras LOL cover, health insurance and pension then it doesn't start to look so bad for a first job. Not perfect by any means but equally there are plenty of worse packages out there.

PURPLE PITOT
13th Aug 2012, 17:40
What makes you think that you will get anywhere near a jet in the next 7/8 years!:ugh:

Remember, you are tied to the company. You will be handed the ****ty end of the stick forever, as you have no choice but to accept!

FANS
14th Aug 2012, 11:32
Trial lesson to jet only took 21 years. Far too long for the I want it now kids of today)

Brilliant.It used to be relatively standard not that long ago.

ElChasper
17th Aug 2012, 19:20
Hi there,

Not familiar, but i'm friends with a flybe pilot, his words "any flybe schemes a good scheme". I've applied and got a date for assessment in 2 weeks.

When did you apply?

speedrestriction
18th Aug 2012, 11:03
PURPLE PITOTWhat makes you think that you will get anywhere near a jet in the next 7/8 years!

Remember, you are tied to the company. You will be handed the ****ty end of the stick forever, as you have no choice but to accept!

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. New joiners through mentored schemes (including MPL of which we have plenty already) join the seniority list same as everyone else and have the same prospects as everyone else in the company - in line with seniority. With a growing Ejet fleet, in future the norm will be 3-5 years dash before changing type. If the employment market improves expect this to shorten as skippers and FOs with experience move on.

Sorry for the thread drift.

ElChasper
20th Aug 2012, 16:54
Hi Fly-Boi-1992

Thanks a lot - and congrats on being invited, btw. How quickly did they reply after you confirmed that that you met the requirements?

I applied last Friday. Fingers crossed.

Akrep
20th Aug 2012, 19:03
let me give you an eye opener fly boi... all exams in aviation world have to be passed with a minimum of 75%, yes this includes your ATPL, exams also.. but an average of 90%+ is a minimum requirement nowadays if you dont want your C.V. to be thrown to the trash bin.

appleACE
22nd Aug 2012, 19:42
I've got the selection process and interview for this scheme in a couple of weeks and I remember somewhere on the website it said that as part of the interview I would need to know about both Flybe and Stella. I know some stuff about Flybe (mainly Wikipedia xD) but to be honest I had never heard of Stella prior to see this scheme.
I think this type of thing is fairly common for sponsored cadet schemes, does anyone know roughly what depth of knowledge is required?
Obviously I've checked their websites for info on there, and Flybe has it's Wiki page. Can't find that much information on Stella though.

PENNINE BOY
23rd Aug 2012, 04:34
Dont knock it!

I have friends who started with original company Space Grand that later turned into Jersey European then Fly Be.

They have had 20 plus years with the same company, flying sheds, F27s,737 and Emb190.etc. They have had 20 plus years of being payed plus the annual increments. Money for moving base, back in there own bed most nights.

Take this with others that went with charter jet carriers going bust every few years followed by months or years out of work, I know where I had wished I had gone!

The market has changed, gone are the days of flying twins around for small charter companies and getting experience for your first break, its all pay up front compass testing etc etc

Good Luck to those that get the break!

Raven123
27th Aug 2012, 12:27
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else was selected for the interview stages on the 10th/11th September?

pilot freak
30th Aug 2012, 18:41
Anyone doing the selection?

gearupflapsupshutup
30th Aug 2012, 22:17
Are these interviews in the UK with Flybe?

F4LC0N
31st Aug 2012, 19:08
I'm going to Stella aviation on the 13th and 14th. Anyone else?

The selection for Stella is over in Holland but CTC, FTE Jerez were also running selection courses although they are both now closed.

Good luck to all who are going.

ElChasper
13th Sep 2012, 11:06
F4LCONI'm going to Stella aviation on the 13th and 14th. Anyone else?

The selection for Stella is over in Holland but CTC, FTE Jerez were also running selection courses although they are both now closed.

Good luck to all who are going.

Good luck, mate. I'm going on the 17th and 18th.

Does anybody know what the dress code is like? I've heard some people say it should be very formal while others say less formal (not casual, of course).

Thanks in advance

iReegy
15th Sep 2012, 21:31
It is formal ! When I was there, everyone, including me, wore suits and ties, which can get a bit annoying in some of the tests...! :sad:

ElChasper
16th Sep 2012, 10:06
Thanks for the info, mate. I talked to a KLM pilot who suggested very formal clothing, so I guess he was right. Nice to have it confirmed. :ok:

Regards,

iReegy
16th Sep 2012, 10:32
No worries, good luck !

spads1
19th Sep 2012, 16:31
Selections are closed now. Answer for the final interview last week of September is it?

ElChasper
20th Sep 2012, 10:37
I believe so. :ok:

pilot freak
23rd Sep 2012, 22:23
Final week of september started..Lets see:ok:

F4LC0N
25th Sep 2012, 08:18
Only a couple more days to go!

How did everyone find it? Great Frasca sim, the oldest in Europe. I'm sure the instructor was pushing a pedal to keep the gyros spinning!

One of the guys who was there with me finished the last hand/eye, mem + multitasking test and then his PC crashed! Luckily they didn't make him do the whole thing again.

appleACE
25th Sep 2012, 13:43
Just got a call from them, I didn't get accepted. Perhaps I should have worn a tie...

The guy who called me offered a difference course which they are running for an fATPL starting in November/December. He didn't have all the details yet but basically the course costs 97k euro (same as the Flybe one, but without the £20k sponsorship money) but you don't have to pay the final instalment of 27k euro until you get a job (which they would help you to do). Not sure whether it's a good idea, one of the main reasons I applied to the Flybe cadet scheme was the guaranteed job as an F/O on a Dash 8 afterwards. Not sure what Stella means by 'a job'. I read somewhere that the 10k euro job guaranteed thing they offer on other courses is a bit of a con, that they get you a job as an SEP instructor or something. He's going to send me more details when he gets them.

Akrep
25th Sep 2012, 14:24
Yeah well.. That is stella for you, old equipment bought for a cheap penny, unfortunatly it breaks down a lot making them pound foolish :/

spads1
29th Sep 2012, 16:02
Still nothing for me altough they told us last week of September.
Anyone have been selected for the final interview?

pilot freak
30th Sep 2012, 14:39
Nothing at all. According to their website, if you have not heard anything you can enroll in the normal CPL/ATPL training. :ugh:

Interviews FlyBe gaan van start (http://www.stella-aviation-academy.nl/Selectie-FlyBe-gaat-van-start-n333m230) (Its in Dutch tho)

Dave_t6
1st Oct 2012, 18:17
Anyone had a call?

Flyerboi1991
1st Oct 2012, 18:55
I got the call on Friday from Stella telling me that I'm through to the final stage! They said that FlyBe would email me soon to confirm and that the interview would be around the 20th November. Anyone else get through? Good luck to all those still waiting!

Dave_t6
2nd Oct 2012, 16:42
Hi,

I managed to get a reply.

I am very interested in any other UK candidates that have recieved a reply as I would like to try pursuade Stella to register to the UK's Career development loan service as a training provider.

F4LC0N
3rd Oct 2012, 13:57
Hi guys,
I also got a congratulatory call from Stella so I'll be going to the interview.

Dave t6, I saw you made a post about BBVA. Will they actually put the money up for Stella as I had a feeling it was only for certain Schools? Hopefully I should manage without as I've been saving for a long time but it's always good to have a back up plan.

Cheers and congrats,

Dave_t6
3rd Oct 2012, 21:25
Yes BBVA will put the money up for any pilot loan if they see the course fit, but secured agaist a property (60% of its value - any remaining morgage). As a course already backed by Flybe I cannot see it being a problem. (This is how I understand it, I have spoken with BBVA and they say I have to write a business plan)

But never put all of your eggs in one basket! I'm keeping all options open and select the best for me IF (studying hard) I get offered a place.

I have been trying to get hold of a BBVA business plan template, I have seen Oxford Aviation give one out - no luck at the moment.

Maybe see you at the interviews, GL

spads1
20th Oct 2012, 09:02
Hi all,

Congratulations to those have been selected for the flybe last interview, good luck to them!

Does anyone have already been selected by Flybe?

Is there anydbody here selected for the international ATPL program after the Flybe selections?

The first classe starts on the 16th of November in Maastricht, the second one on the 13th of December in Teuge.

I think the MPL for flybe and the international ATPL will run at the same time.

The international ATPL program cost 97500€, we have to pay 70000€ at the start and the rest 27500€ only when we have found employment as a pilot (airlines present in the brochure: turkish, lufthansa, ezy, transavia, lion air, klm, air berlin, emirates).

People in the Flybe MPL, do you know where you start in Maastricht or Teuge?

No RYR for me
22nd Oct 2012, 12:00
only when we have found employment as a pilot (airlines present in the brochure: turkish, lufthansa, ezy, transavia, lion air, klm, air berlin, emirates).
Note that like any other school these are the famous "people who trained by us are currently flying at". This says nothing about whether the school helped to got the job through the school or by applying themselves... :8

RML16
24th Oct 2012, 11:06
Anyone here who got an invitation from Flybe jet? Already 4 weeks passed since Stella announced who are going to the last interview.

spads1
25th Oct 2012, 05:59
The interviews are 20,21,22,23 November.

RML16
25th Oct 2012, 08:44
I know, but did anyone get an invitation from Flybe yet for one of these dates?

ElChasper
25th Oct 2012, 12:51
I haven't received an invitation from Flybe either, so you're not the only one. :)

fwjc
17th Nov 2012, 06:45
Priceless!

From spads1, 25th Oct

The interviews are 20,21,22,23 November

Three one-liner posts later

From tennisten, 17th Nov

Have the interviews with flybe taken place yet?

Gillin
27th Nov 2012, 18:07
Guys stay away from Stella.

Transavia stopt recruiting years ago, for KLM the students had to pay additional 13.000 euros to be able to apply (from the 15 who paid only 2 got the job), Lionair is not something i would aim for, Lufthansa Cityline in the past had to actively release the info that there no such thing as a contract between them en Stella after they heard Stella was spreading this rumour. Emirates? If you believe any guy from flightschool with 200 hours got to fly for Emirates you might want read through this forum a bit more before starting a flight course.

You might want to know aswell that the Dutch ALPA recently started a campaign to inform wannabe pilots about the horrible situation of the market at the moment after finding out over a 1000 pilots in The Netherlands are jobless.

If you still want to spend your money to join this 'glorious' pilot market then i would recommend trying to keep your debts as low as possible and you do not do that by spending 97,5k for a frozen ATPL without a job outlook of any sort.