PDA

View Full Version : Please help few Questions!

Eccentric Toast
29th Jul 2012, 21:23
Hi I'm new here but been browsing the forum for awhile I live in Ireland and I would like to become an airline pilot but have a few questions I cant find the answers to.
Ive been searching now for months. I think I have most of the information I need
But there is a few questions I still need answering. Sorry they are in no particular order just as I took them down.

I plan on doing my PPL in America to see if I think I'm capable of it, then I plan to move onto CPL/ATPL ME/IR if I am.
Is there any flight schools better recommended in America than others? Ive been looking at flyEASA.com in Florida.
Is there anything other than the M1 visa I need before going over? Like books,studying or a test?

Medical:
I know I only need a Class 2 for my PPL but would it make more sense to just get the Class 1 and get it over and done with to see if I can even pursue it as a career?
If so does it matter where I do it Mater, Dublin or Gatwick, UK(Preferred as from research its cheaper and better) or does the American courses supply it?
This new system coming into effect on the 17 of September how will it effect me should I do my medical before it comes into effect?
If I do a CAA medical do I need to convert it to an IAA or is the CAA considered in Ireland?

PPL
Should I start studying before I leave for the course and some Flight Simulator?
I know people have done there PPL in the 45 hours but realistically is it possible?

ATPL ME/IR
How long does the full course take in America (roughly zero to hero route)?

Accommodation
In the ATPL ME/IR courses is accomodation included in most prices or do you need to look after it yourself if so how much average?
Can you work a part time job while in the states to pay rent or living expenses or is this not recommended?

Hours for Career
How do you gain the most hours as most companys look for 1000 to 1200 hours when you only have an average of 250-300 when you finish your licenses?

I'm sure I have others that I have forgot but any info would be a great help and much appreciated!

paco
30th Jul 2012, 04:50
Absolutely get your Class 1 medical first! Why spend a lot of money trying the professional route if you're going to fall at that hurdle? The initial medical must be done at your local friendly aviation authority - in the case of the UK this would be at Gatwick. Your licence is based on where your medical records are kept, and you cannot do an initial in the US.

I would not try to work in the US illegally.

gordonquinn
30th Jul 2012, 16:03
I would say do your PPL and ATPL theory here before going out.

The PPL theory is not too hard, and you want to make the most of the good value hourly flying rates (after all that's why you are doing it there and not here) so you don't want to be paying for accoms and living costs in florida when you could have done them here.

With the PPL flying, check out some of the other posts on the forum about florida schools, the general feel is that you need extra time, there are extra costs and it ends up not being far off the cost in the UK.

ATPL theory can be done distance learning for £999, or for about £3000 in a classroom I think? Which is much cheaper than 6 months into Florida (unless you work as well, but 6 months is full time study so it's hard to say there).

I would say do the above before you go in the UK, then complete your training in florida if that's what you want to do., i.e. CPL, I/R, MEP.

Low hour jobs are very hard to come by these days, there are too many pilots, low and high hours, and not enough jobs, but that is not to say it is not possible to get a job, just difficult and needs a bit of luck. There are options, like bush pilot jobs, they will take low hour pilots, check out some airlines in Maun (there was a programme about these pilots on Dave recently, really good, check it out).

I will add here that my info is from my research into this, as I am in the same position as yourself, saving up for PPL training and then ATPL, and then taking a loan to pay for the rest.

If any of my info is inaccurate, please correct me other forum posters.