PDA

View Full Version : Best UK Modular Training School

TheAeronaut
28th Jul 2012, 18:12
Good evening all,

I've done a fair bit of research on the subject, but I'd like to hear from others as well.

I'm 18 and in the process of completing my PPL with a local flying school, but I'd like to be a holder of an "fATPL" within the next 18 months or so. I've managed to see through the well-marketed glamour of an integrated course; so I'm going modular as they say.

However, to keep the airlines sweet, I'd like to do the majority of my modular training (PPL onwards - ATPL exams, CPL, IR, MCC, JOC etc.) with one provider.

So, which school would you personally recommend as a comprehensive, quality modular training school? I don't mind if they provide integrated courses as well, it's the quality of their modular course that I'd like to hear about!

pakythepilot
29th Jul 2012, 07:07
Airline takes in consideration just if you have done all the cpl/ir/mep at the same provider, because these are stage where you are actually taking the skills to become a professional pilot and the fact that you change for each rating a school, it could be a sign of not good progression in achieving your skills, because u change several time type of teaching and flight instructors during the most important phase of your training, but you can do the atpl theory and mcc anywhere you want, they don't care if u have done them at the same provider. The best modular uk flight schools are in bournemouth, which they are PAT (Professional Air Training) and BFCT (Bournemouth Flight Commercial Training) They also have got a good reputation flight schools such as multiflight, stapleford flight centre in london and Flying Time in shorenam. All of them have a good pass rate and top flight instructor with a lot of experience, but I always heard good rumors about PAT. People use to say that is the best modular school in uk.

disco87
29th Jul 2012, 07:22
PAT was great when I was there.

pakythepilot
29th Jul 2012, 07:33
@disco, if you can talk about your experience in PAT, it would be helpful for us!! thanks.

RJ.146
29th Jul 2012, 09:17
Astronaut,
I recently finished my F.ATPL with Air Service Training and ACS Flight Training at Perth, Scotland. The quality of training was excellent and led to me achieveing 1st series 1st Attempt Passes in minimum hours and all of the people on my course achieved much the same. The AST course is a modular course which is planned out full time (flexible) including a full time ATPL groundschool. I am not sure the current cost of the PATH program but has been good value to my coursemates who did it that way.
I would also really recommend ACS Flight Training, who are the flying provider for AST and who I completed my PPL, CPL, MEP and IR with.

Some more info is on this post from a while back with some views from the guys currently on the course.

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/476671-air-service-training-path.html

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jul 2012, 09:39
The reality is that virtually nobody is in a position to compare good modular training providers, because if you've found a good provider, you tend to stay there.

Negativity is an awful thing, but I think it's your best bet here - I think you need to go looking for the criticism, and avoid anywhere that's attracted a lot of it.

After that, realistically, it's location and price. Most FTOs are well run, have enthusiastic and dedicated instructors who'd nonetheless rather be flying an Airbus, use similar average-condition aeroplanes, and will have a fair number of satisfied licence holders who will attest to the quality of their training.

WookieWings
31st Jul 2012, 08:11
Ghengis has pretty much got this one covered!

I trained at PAT towards the end of last year and cannot recommend them enough. 1st time passes in (almost) minimum hours. All of the staff are excellent, friendly and approachable. Only ever grounded due to weather, not due to aircraft availability. EGHH is an excellent training environment, but be prepared to orbit at the end of downwind for jet traffic at £436(?) per hour.

I'm not being incentivised to say this stuff and as Ghengis mentioned, I have no other experiences of FTO for commercial training. I did however train for my PPL at an FTO accross the pond and that was a different story!

Cows getting bigger
31st Jul 2012, 09:19
Being in the industry, I think the vast majority of modular schools are now quite good. My only advice is to go and 'feel' the various places and don't allow yourself to be influenced by glossy brochures and glitzy uniforms. If you are a half decent judge of character, you will find the one which will suit you best.

No RYR for me
31st Jul 2012, 12:09
Two names keep popping up with positive marks: Airways Flight Training in Exeter and PAT in Bournemouth. Airways used to do mainly Air Force guys and never had to advertise. :ok:

brn-2-fly
31st Jul 2012, 20:36
Another positive note for PAT I would recommend them very highly! First time pass ME-CPL and within a week of completing the IR, both will have been achieved in minimum times.
All members of staff always helpful whether it be a question regarding IFR planning, or sorting out mistakes in logbooks!
Bournemouth is a nice airfield and the ATC are generally nice to us students, but like mentioned earlier, be prepared to sometimes hold for Ryanair etc...

Halfwayback
31st Jul 2012, 21:39
The Aeronaut
Welcome to the Wannabee forum!

As my fellow Moderator Genghis pointed out it is almost impossible for a person to judge which is the best school for the simple reason that few people do the same course in more than one school.

Other posters have indicated some preferences but I suggest you use the Search function to conduct a bit of research yourself because the question you posed has been covered many times before!

Good luck with the research!

HWB