PDA

View Full Version : US Training - Anyone like to share their experiences

eject
13th Apr 2001, 03:43
Sorry if this is going over old ground. I'm off to the US in July to build up some time towards the skill test 150hr requirement. Should I restrict my searches to the Part 141 Approved schools? I don't plan to just take off and fly around in circles all day as some people seem to do. I want the experience to actually count for something more than just hours.
Any pointers will be very much appreciated. Thanks>

Grandad Flyer
14th Apr 2001, 14:02
Suggest you plan alot of cross country flights, night flights and instrument stuff where possible. If you don't yet have your IR then you could either do your FAA IR or just practice approaches (after some instruction) in VMC.
If its mainly hour building you are doing you don't need to worry about part 141.
Get a good briefing and as much dual as you want before venturing out on your own. Fly into a big, busy airport with an instructor before doing it on your own.
Push yourself a bit harder each day, doing stuff that you are maybe a little worried about. But don't be afraid to ask your instructor, ATC, FSS etc. if you are not sure of something.
You will have a great time!
If you are going to California then get some high altitude airport experience. Las Vegas McCarran is ideal as a first big airport to visit on your own, they are very helpful there and you can park up close to the strip. Also Grand Canyon and loads of good "difficult" airports to visit. If Florida then go to the Keys and possibly the Bahamas as well (don't forget to hire the lifejackets, etc.).

Tarmach
14th Apr 2001, 22:14
I know that the IMC rating is only valid in the UK, but would it be wise to do the IMC rating before going off to the states for hour building?

Ive been told to get lots of experience flying VFR before doing the IMC rating. However, I would feel safer if I had the IMC rating first as a kind of backup.

Of course I don't want to acquire too much experience in this country- i would rather fly in the States for alot less.

eject
15th Apr 2001, 01:16
Thanks very much for your response GF; you've been very helpful.
I'm sure I'll be back with a couple more questions.