PDA

View Full Version : Alex Salmond: Let's cheer on 'Scolympians' instead of Team GB

Grumpy106
27th Jul 2012, 07:14
Little racist git. If an Englishman had said that he'd be hauled over the coals.

fabs
27th Jul 2012, 07:34
Don't tar all Us Scots with having the same views as him! If he were to hold his referendum tomorrow I honestly reckon he'd lose

ricardian
27th Jul 2012, 07:38
Yes! Orkney has more affinity with Norway than it has with Scotland.

servodyne
27th Jul 2012, 07:48
I cannot believe that anyone can take this idiot seriously. He is doing his very best to isolate himself from reality and from the Scottish people. :rolleyes:

OutlawPete
27th Jul 2012, 09:05
Little racist git. If an Englishman had said that he'd be hauled over the coals.

I'm not defending him because I can't stand the man but it is foolish to make something of this. What he said wasn't racist and if you're that easily offended then grow a pair!

TheWizard
27th Jul 2012, 09:08
Military Aircrew? Thread relevance? :hmm:

Rossian
27th Jul 2012, 09:10
....as ever Matt's cartoon today shows a newsvendor's board with the legend

"Flag row. North Korea protests to British PM Alex Salmond"

He rarely misses a target does Matt.

The Ancient Mariner

Grumpy106
27th Jul 2012, 12:34
Quote:

I'm not defending him because I can't stand the man but it is foolish to make something of this. What he said wasn't racist and if you're that easily offended then grow a pair!

I'm saying that he is racist and if an Englishman had said the same thing about ignoring the Scots he would get in trouble. I'm not easily offended but he is quite an offensive little git.

As for relevance - if he gets his Independent Scotland, he may well be the Commander-in-chief of the Scottish Military. Is a little racist git the sort of bloke our Scottish military members want as their boss?

Milo Minderbinder
27th Jul 2012, 12:38
Why is it Team GB anyway? Surely it should be team UK - we do have people from Northern Ireland in the team don't we?

Wrathmonk
27th Jul 2012, 12:47
Milo

Youngest son asked me the same question .... I know one of these is a 'wiki' link but this may sort of answer your question:

Great Britain at the Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_Olympics)

BBC - Roger Mosey: Why 'Team GB'? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/rogermosey/2009/09/why_team_gb.html)

Avionker
27th Jul 2012, 13:00
Grumpy106

Whilst I am not a big fan of the man how is what he said racist? When has he said that Scots are superior to all other races? Where did he say ignore the English athletes?

Me thinks the gentlemen doth protest too much

Rossian
27th Jul 2012, 13:15
....avionker, my old, there are NO damning remarks sufficient enough to describe the oleaginous little creep. Did I mention I don't like him?

The Ancient Mariner

baffman
27th Jul 2012, 13:57
"Scolympians" was possibly the bright idea of some staffer, who is now pegged out on the Castle Rock having his entrails pecked out by ospreys.

sisemen
27th Jul 2012, 15:06
Scolympia? Sounds like some awful disease that you contract while living in a dark cold place and over abusing ones self.

Perhaps the man is put out because there isn't a pie eating contest in the sports festival. He might have been in with a chance at gold if there had been.

Shack37
27th Jul 2012, 15:10
Military Aircrew? Thread relevance? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

should really be part of the Scottish Independence thread.

Tankertrashnav
27th Jul 2012, 15:19
Roger Mosey's response is just a load of flannel. There is absolutely no doubt that "Team GB" is just plain wrong, just as "Team UK" would be absolutely correct.

Similarly, why did the £Sterling become the GBP, when Sterling is still the currency of Northern Ireland (not "the North of Ireland" please)? I can understand non UK computer keyboards not having a £ key (in the same way mine doesnt have one for the Euro, but what was wrong with UKP?

we do have people from Northern Ireland in the team don't we?

I think I'm right in saying that when UK athletics were at their low point, Mary Peters won us our only gold in the Munich Olympics. Although born in England she was enthusiastic about her adopted homeland, and insisted on returning to Northern Ireland, even though as a high-profile successful Protestant she was a target for republican terrorists.

Oh yes, nearly forgot - Alex Salmond is a T**T!

rab-k
27th Jul 2012, 15:25
Mr Grumpy. "Let's cheer on 'Scolympians' instead of Team GB"

Any journo will tell you; never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

Therefore the usual outburst of faux outrage on the part of the Mirror etc. is to be expected.

What the First Minister actually said can be found here (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2012/07/scottish-olympians26072012), and includes the phrase:

“The eyes of the world are on the Olympics and the whole of Scotland is united in supporting our Olympians and Paralympians – our ‘Scolympians’ – to go for gold. Every member of TeamGB has worked exceptionally hard to get to this point and now stands on the cusp of greatness - I wish everyone taking part in London 2012 the very best of luck.”

WTF is wrong with that? I certainly don't read into it what others apparently want to.

Yes! Orkney has more affinity with Norway than it has with Scotland.

Aye, and Cornwall with Wales more so than with England. :p

Wrathmonk
27th Jul 2012, 15:28
TTN

But the wiki article (yes, I know) does seem to sum it up nicely. Not our (GB&NI or UK) decision at the end of the day.

So you can hurumph into your Daily Mail a bit more (;)) don't forget the international code for cars registered in the UK is also GB. Not NI, GB&NI, UK, ENG, SCOT, EUR (:yuk:), WALES or CYMRU.

Shack37
27th Jul 2012, 15:33
I think I'm right in saying that when UK athletics were at their low point, Mary Peters won us our only gold in the Munich Olympics. Although born in England she was enthusiastic about her adopted homeland, and insisted on returning to Northern Ireland, even though as a high-profile successful Protestant she was a target for republican terrorists.

Well I remember Mary receiving the, I think, BBC Sportsperson Of the Year award from the previous holder, HRH Princess Anne. Having examined the trophy carefully. she commented "Didn't she look after it well"? Even HRH cracked a smile at that one.

Tankertrashnav
27th Jul 2012, 18:20
So you can hurumph into your Daily Mail a bit more (http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif)

Actually, one takes The Times ;)

Good point about GB plates - anyone for a campaign to have them changed to UK plates?

Thought not :(

fantom
27th Jul 2012, 18:29
I look forward to opening tomorrow's Telegraph and reading that his d*** has dropped off.

If he ever had one.

racedo
27th Jul 2012, 19:16
Why is it Team GB anyway? Surely it should be team UK - we do have people from Northern Ireland in the team don't we?

Depends as remember seeing a boxer from Belfast winning a silver for Ireland in Boxing as Boxing seems to be done on All Ireland basis.

Reading the wiki page there has been a lot of issues relating to this over the years.

Ireland at the Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_at_the_Olympics#Northern_Ireland)

rab-k
27th Jul 2012, 19:22
Beats me WTF you're all on about frankly.

Would some of you edjukaytid Torygraph readers please point out to me where in the following the world is apparently told not to support TeamGB?

“The eyes of the world are on the Olympics and the whole of Scotland is united in supporting our Olympians and Paralympians – our ‘Scolympians’ – to go for gold. Every member of TeamGB has worked exceptionally hard to get to this point and now stands on the cusp of greatness - I wish everyone taking part in London 2012 the very best of luck.”

Source (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2012/07/scottish-olympians26072012)

Or is it more a case of never letting the truth stand in the way of a good Jock-bashing session? If so then bash away chaps, bash away; you're simply making yourselves look at best rather silly, at worst, willfully ignorant ... :rolleyes:

glad rag
27th Jul 2012, 19:41
Once again Rab, once again. Just where do they hatch you have to ask. :(

charliegolf
27th Jul 2012, 19:49
Military Aircrew? Thread relevance?

Quite! This is a disgrace- this tosh has pushed the 1000+ post thread about a barbeque off the front page! Where will it end?

Rant off.

CG

heights good
28th Jul 2012, 10:34
Gents and Ladies,

If you do insist in spouting diatribe, please ensure that the big words you are using are in context :E

Racism

Generally defined as actions, practices, or beliefs that reflect the racial worldview: the ideology that humans are divided into separate and exclusive biological entities called "races". This ideology entails the belief that members of a race share a set of characteristic traits, abilities, or qualities, that traits of personality, intellect, morality, and other cultural behavioral characteristics are inherited, and that this inheritance means that races can be ranked as innately superior or inferior to others.

Xenophobia

Intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries (Oxford Dictionaries), unreasonable fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign (Merriam-Webster) The Dictionary of Psychology defines it as "a fear of strangers".

That is all

HG

TomJoad
28th Jul 2012, 11:13
Beats me WTF you're all on about frankly.

Would some of you edjukaytid Torygraph readers please point out to me where in the following the world is apparently told not to support TeamGB?

Quote:

Rab K thanks for that. Grumpy 106 it would appear that you have been outed; what in the old days we would have called a little sh*t stirrer. You sir, have a chip on your shoulder. Run along now and enjoy this green and plesant land

Finningley Boy
28th Jul 2012, 12:45
Does this Knuckle Head not know that all Olympic participants are called Olympians, not just those from the UK? I ask the question because usually when the Alex Salmonds of this world make self embarrassing silly begger gestures like this, it's to segregate themselves from the rest of the UK, in particular England, in some spurious hope that the rest of the world will suddenly recognise Scotland in the same way they do China, or something.

FB:)

rab-k
28th Jul 2012, 14:19
the Alex Salmonds of this world make self embarrassing silly begger gestures like this, it's to segregate themselves from the rest of the UK, in particular England, in some spurious hope that the rest of the world will suddenly recognise Scotland in the same way they do China, or something.

It's true; the only thing worse than a Scottish Nationalist is indeed a British Nationalist.

Shall we cancel the next Commonwealth Games for fear of Scotland being seen to stand on the world stage in its own right? Oh no, wait, England will be there also, so I guess that makes it OK.:ugh:

TomJoad
28th Jul 2012, 16:11
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy
the Alex Salmonds of this world make self embarrassing silly begger gestures like this, it's to segregate themselves from the rest of the UK, in particular England, in some spurious hope that the rest of the world will suddenly recognise Scotland in the same way they do China, or something.

I'm writing this slowly Fin Boy to help with your literacy difficulties . Read the article and not selected quotes designed to pander to muppets. Come on don't embarrass yourself.

betty swallox
31st Jul 2012, 02:28
And here was me thinking this was a site for Professional Pilots. Not Professional POLITICIANS Rumour Network.................

Duncan D'Sorderlee
31st Jul 2012, 10:37
Betty,

What on earth made you think that?

:ugh:

Duncs:ok:

yotty
31st Jul 2012, 11:52
Salmond does set traps for the unwary English eh?;)

MAINJAFAD
31st Jul 2012, 23:47
What does this have to do with Military Aircrew? Well, a few years back, a guy I worked with told me of what happened when Salmond was invited to a function at the officers mess of a now closed control and reporting centre located within his constituency. Needless to say Salmond turned up and pissed off most of the people at said function with his Xenophobia (including a number of Jocks). CO of the establishment gives Salmond a bit of advice to tone down his attitude which is totally ignored. CO of radar site then kicks Salmond off the unit. The man is a penis!!!

althenick
1st Aug 2012, 00:05
What does this have to do with Military Aircrew? Well, a few years back, a guy I worked with told me of what happened when Salmond was invited to a function at the officers mess of a now closed control and reporting centre located within his constituency. Needless to say Salmond turned up and pissed off most of the people at said function with his Xenophobia (including a number of Jocks). CO of the establishment gives Salmond a bit of advice to tone down his attitude which is totally ignored. CO of radar site then kicks Salmond off the unit. The man is a penis!!!

I would have paid money to see that. I would also have loved to have seen him come through the Gates at Faslane and preach his bullsh1t when I worked there. 5000 -odd Matelots and civvy's giving him a right good shoeing. But sadly, It was never to be. :{

mmitch
1st Aug 2012, 10:53
This is a tenuous military link. Salmon has taken over the Army and Navy club 'for the duration' as an embassy!
Salmond spends £400k on London visitor centre... but no one turns up! | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2181878/Salmond-spends-400k-London-visitor-centre--turns-up.html)
mmitch,

foldingwings
1st Aug 2012, 12:44
The man's a tw*t! His days are numbered and his vanity will be exposed! People are backing away from his 'Independence' bandwagon and, when they lose, whether the SNP and whether Alex Salmond then!

Foldie
A Born and Bred Scot!

Bill Macgillivray
1st Aug 2012, 20:32
Oh dear, I am a Scot by birth and proud of it! However, I also used to use the Army and Navy Club (although a RAF Club member) on occasions, I feel that this must now be the end of that liasion !! He is a complete and utter "Richard"!!! :O:sad::sad::sad:

RubiC Cube
1st Aug 2012, 21:00
On the Olympic website, athletes are referred to as representing Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Methinks Team GBNI would be a bIt of a mouthfull.