PDA

View Full Version : BBC internet radio and the Olympics

sitigeltfel
27th Jul 2012, 06:38
Am trying to get R4 Today programme on my internet box but just get a looped message, "Due to rights restrictions this part of the programme is unavailable."
The same message is being spouted by R2, but 5 Live is OK.

Is this due to the Olympics, and are other expats hearing the same?

(Have also placed this query in the Olympics thread at Jet Blast)

green granite
27th Jul 2012, 07:19
the stupidity is that with a good communications receiver an aerial you could listen to it off air. The only work round is to use a UK proxy server, (Mixture will be along shortly to tell you why you mustn't do that. :) )

Tableview
27th Jul 2012, 07:43
My son has just advised me that Sky have a range of extra channels dedicated to the Olympics. What a waste of money. I am about to phone them up and tell them I am cancelling my susbscription - I have been meaning to do this for a while but this seems like the ideal occasion to do so and to express my contempt and disgust.

green granite
27th Jul 2012, 07:51
Just a thought Have you tried the radio channel on the satellite TV?

Mushroom_2
27th Jul 2012, 08:08
ExpatShield is what you need.

IB4138
27th Jul 2012, 10:35
I have already posted the following on this subject on Jet Blast this morning:

A pox on the IOC!

All BBC radio stations on the internet are blocked on their instructions for the duration of the O'Limping Games!

Why have the BBC bowed down to these clowns and deprived people allover the World of radio from home?

Cameron needs to be brought to account.

"only option would be to illegally use a UK proxy server"

Yes GG, I have and it's still blocked. Seems you can only access BBC stations on the internet, via some new way on i player.

"Have you tried the radio channel on the satellite TV"

That's how I'm listening now.

The BBC agreeing to the IOC and Lord Cow on this and acting to block, must infringe some human rights law, I would think.

It's actually an own goal, preventing peeps from listening in to the Games.

I would think Boris does not know. Tis the IOC being greedy on licensing fees I think.

"'ExpatShield' which is said to overcome the problem"

Bin there, got the T shirt this morning,GG .

It didn't work for me!
Even Radio Manchester is blocked!

I have just sent an email to Cameron on the subject.

Saab Dastard
27th Jul 2012, 10:44
My son has just advised me that Sky have a range of extra channels dedicated to the Olympics. What a waste of money. I am about to phone them up and tell them I am cancelling my susbscription - I have been meaning to do this for a while but this seems like the ideal occasion to do so and to express my contempt and disgust.
The BBC have 24 SD and 24 HD channels dedicated to the Olympics, in addition to BBC1 & 2.

These are available via Virgin Media, Sky, and FreeSat, with a couple available on Freeview HD.

SD

vulcanised
27th Jul 2012, 11:46
The BBC have 24 SD and 24 HD channels dedicated to the Olympics

None of which will work if you sit there drinking a Pepsi.

The SSK
27th Jul 2012, 11:52
I just hope that Mrs SSK will be able to get the Archers Omnibus on R4 Long Wave on Sunday. Otherwise my life won't be worth living.

IB4138
27th Jul 2012, 11:54
As an aside: Manchester Evening News reports that, besides running out of food at Old Trafford last night, beer was £7.20 a pint!

These games are set to go down as the Biggest Rip Off Olympic Games in history. To be known as the BROOGS from now on.

It's partly down to the extortionate fees the IOC are charging for various licenses to sell merchandise that cause the price hike and why, as they can't charge anyone for using the internet, they instructed the BBC to pull the plug.

Victor Inox
27th Jul 2012, 11:55
The whole BBC Player is useless.

I recently installed it with a view to catching up on events when travelling overseas. Couldn't even get Newsnight over the internet in Malaysia.:mad:

Milo Minderbinder
27th Jul 2012, 12:02
The BBC iPlayer works well at what it is supposed to do: provide catch-up TV services to UK viewers
It is not intended to provide service to overseas viewers. There would be too many copyright problems involved if that were to be allowed
1) because much BBC content is of foreign origin and the BBC only have UK broadcast rights - not global rights
2) the content that originates in the UK is usually sold on by the BBC for broadcast in other countries. By providing their own overseas service, the BBC would be competing with their own customers - so sales would stop
3) there would be severe complications over artist's performance rights and payments

sitigeltfel
27th Jul 2012, 12:59
Just a thought Have you tried the radio channel on the satellite TV? Yes, I get Freesat here and that works, but it is in a different part of the house.

ExpatShield is what you need.Thanks for that info, and those who PM'd me. I have downloaded it and first impressions seem OK. Will give it a good work-out later.

Milo Minderbinder
27th Jul 2012, 13:37
BBC iPlayer - Help - Changes to BBC Radio online during London 2012 Olympics. (http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_radio_progs/radioonline_olympics/)

Changes to BBC Radio online during London 2012 Olympics
There are changes to the availability of BBC radio online during the London 2012 Olympics.
Due to rights restrictions, content broadcast from an Olympic venue during the Games will be available live and on demand in the UK only.
This will impact on all BBC radio stations periodically during the London 2012 Olympics, except in the following instances where there is significant coverage.
• BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra and BBC Radio 5 Live Olympics Extra will only be available to listen live and on demand in the UK.
• Radio 2's Chris Evans' Breakfast Show is broadcasting from the Olympics Park and will only be available to listen live and on demand in the UK.
• Live BBC Nations and Local Radio (with the exception of Radio Cymru) will only be available in the UK.
• Radio Cymru will remain available to UK and international users so that they are able to enjoy coverage of Wales' National Eisteddfod.
BBC Radio 5 live Olympics Extra - additional service during the Olympics
BBC Radio 5 live Olympics Extra , a temporary service for the Games, is now available on digital radio and online . It brings extra choice to listeners, offering extended commentary and a catch-up service through the night. BBC Radio 5 live and 5 live Olympics Extra together will allow listeners to follow the Games 24 hours a day.

At the same time, the BBC have introduced a new home page for their online radio services - you can now link to all channel from
BBC - Radio - On Air Now (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/)
That seems to avoid the iPlayer, though I assume thats also blocked to overseas users...

vulcanised
27th Jul 2012, 14:25
I would gladly assign my UK 'rights' to anyone who wanted to use them.

They haven't made viewing/listening compulsory have they ? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

Phalconphixer
28th Jul 2012, 05:59
Not just the beeb...

Last nights opening ceremony was broadcast live on TVE1 here in Spain. Normally TVE1 is simultaneously streamed online but not it seems for matters Olympic...

In the event I was able to watch the ceremony on BBC1 via satellite Astra 1N on a 80cm dish and an 40€ FTA satellite box.

Only slight problem was the superimposed automatic English subtitles which were delayed by about 15 seconds; this happens with all Beeb transmissions and I cannot find a way to get rid of them. No subtitles ON/OFF switch on the remote or within the various menus.

pp

spekesoftly
28th Jul 2012, 10:42
The BBC have 24 SD and 24 HD channels dedicated to the Olympics, in addition to BBC1 & 2.

These are available via Virgin Media, Sky, and FreeSat, ........ Owners of the Humax Foxsat-HDR can watch but not record any of the dedicated 24 Olympic channels due to an encoding issue.

BBC News - Humax box suffers Olympics channels recording glitch (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19015855)

TWT
28th Jul 2012, 12:36
That problem with the Humax boxes should have been sorted well before the Opening Ceremony.The broadcaster 'builds' the program services into a mux (multiplexed transport stream) .It can then be tested without transmitting over satellite by using an ASI to L-Band modulator into all the models of satellite receiver that customers have for compatibility issues ( common problem) .They probably did do this,but just didn't test the record function.

IB4138
30th Jul 2012, 07:20
Seems that someone has heeded the complaints, as Radio2 is back on air.

mixture
30th Jul 2012, 18:24
Mixture will be along shortly to tell you why you mustn't do that.

Mixture's auto responder says.....

I am currently on annual leave until Tuesday 14th August. Your message has not been forwarded.

:E

spekesoftly
30th Jul 2012, 22:21
That problem with the Humax boxes should have been sorted well before the Opening Ceremony.Quite so, but fair play to Humax for sorting the problem today with an OTA software update.

BBC News - Humax issues Olympics recording glitch fix (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19053454)

green granite
31st Jul 2012, 09:36
From the Guardian

BBC strikes deal to lift Olympic ban on streaming radio shows abroad

Fans of BBC Radio 4's Today and Chris Evans's breakfast show on Radio 2 will once again be able to hear them online overseas after the corporation resolved rights issues with the International Olympics Committee
Now the BBC has reached agreement with the IOC to reinstate news programmes online where the Olympics coverage makes up only a minority of its content.
"Following ongoing discussion we've agreed that there is no need to block our international streams of Radio 4 programmes with a wide news agenda.
"The Chris Evans Breakfast Show on Radio 2 will also now be available internationally. Radio 5 Live Sports Extra coverage of non-Olympic Sports will be available as normal."

The BBC said the decision was made as part of on-going discussions with the IOC.
It said decisions about which programmes could be broadcast abroad, online and via the BBC's iPlayer, would be taken on a "sensible case-by-case basis".

Gulfstreamaviator
31st Jul 2012, 12:08
Also F1, last week, was not on R5 live..(out of region)... OK, I was in USA....but as a license payer, I would like to think that MY BBC would actually live up to its contractual commitment to provide me with a service... I pay you provide....reasonable deal to me....

Just for a laugh my spell checker corrected region to religion...

glf

Milo Minderbinder
31st Jul 2012, 16:25
"but as a license payer, I would like to think that MY BBC would actually live up to its contractual commitment to provide me with a service... I pay you provide....reasonable deal to me...."

A TV licence allows you to legally view television broadcasts in real time in the UK at a nominated address. Its required fro you to receive ANY TV broadcasts in real time, not just BBC
Its not a contract between you and the BBC guaranteeing service. There is no contractual obligation to supply you as an individual as a service: just the obligation placed on the BBC as part of its broadcast licence
As such, whether you have a licence is totally irrelevant to you receiving transmissions in the USA. The BBC does not broadcast to the USA anyway -except maybe the Radio World Service
And you are overlooking something anyway - the licence is for reception of TV transmissions - there is no equivalent radio reception licence. That was withdrawn many years ago - either the 1960's or 1970's

Gulfstreamaviator
5th Aug 2012, 11:25
However what I am trying to say is that as a Brit, and a licence payer, and thus would be entitled to the BBC full range of services, regardless if I am in Scotland, Wales or even England.
So as I happen to be travelling, should I not receive the same "quality" service......

As to BBC broadcast to USA, that was an example only, what about the SAT service that covers most of EU....inc my other base Gibraltar.

So a licence is required to stream Mongolian TV on my computer in The isle of Skye.

Glf

green granite
5th Aug 2012, 11:55
You do not need a TV license to watch programmes streamed over the internet, only for receiving off air.

Milo Minderbinder
6th Aug 2012, 20:52
"You do not need a TV license to watch programmes streamed over the internet"

Common misconception
You need a licence for any kind of TV reception in the UK irrespective of how its transmitted. Terrestrial, cable, satellite, or over ADSL its all the same. If you watch the transmission as its broadcast, you need a licence.
You don't need a licence to watch catch-up TV on iPlayer or similar. But ANY real-time transmission, you do.

Milo Minderbinder
6th Aug 2012, 21:00
"However what I am trying to say is that as a Brit, and a licence payer, and thus would be entitled to the BBC full range of services, regardless if I am in Scotland, Wales or even England."

You're not "entitled" to anything, as that would imply an obligation on the part of the broadcasters to provide a transmission service everywhere in the country - and that doesn't happen. There are still rural hill communities with no TV. The licence legally allows you to recieve broadcast transmissions - if you are able to recieve them. It does not create an obligation to provide them to you.

"what about the SAT service that covers most of EU"
Nothing to do with UK law. The licensing regulations of where you are viewing apply.

"So a licence is required to stream Mongolian TV on my computer in The isle of Skye"
Legally, yes. Though I believe there has been a case of a guy who succesfully beat a charge of not having a licence by proving he only watched overseas satellite channels. It was many years ago and I can't remember the details

green granite
6th Aug 2012, 21:26
Milo, I wasn't aware of any contemporaneously streamed broadcast programmes over ADSL, it was I-player etc I was referring to.