View Full Version : Recent Info about Damascus?

EladElap
26th Jul 2012, 13:26
Hi folks... does anyone have recent info about how safe it is to operate in and out of Damascus Intl?

We are on standby to do one or two ad-hoc flights across from Amman, and wonder what effect the latest events have had on operations in and out of OSDI?

Before anyone gets smart, I've spent 2 years flying in Afghanistan and 2 in Iraq so I'm not looking for an excuse to turn down the flight, just up to date info on if there is anything out of the ordinary to expect.

jimmyg
27th Jul 2012, 00:45
At times they have closed airways to the east R785 Zelaf and UL768 entry over Sokan. They did not say what for but suspect for military activity. They where Notam'ed but not until the last minute and caught many folks by surprise. They did let us enter from L513 Bursa and upon departure exit via Zelaf to the east.

The Airport itself is pretty quite as most operators have suspended service. When we requested a visual approach was denied as they made us do the full approach over DAM even though we were the only aircraft with severe cavok.

Thridle Op Des
27th Jul 2012, 02:13
Was there last week, quiet, 23L in use (for some reason the northern runway is closed but not NOTAMED as such. Full procedure for VOR DME 23L out of the DAM VOR. Road to town reported closed, passengers using alternate routes, good load in both directions.

EladElap
27th Jul 2012, 06:19
Thanks a lot Gents, that's exactly the info I was looking for! :ok::ok:

bigozs
26th Sep 2012, 23:49
Just to confirm what I have read so far on the forums. Approach has radar but not providing vectors?, what about Damascus Center? Thanks...

J.L.Seagull
28th Sep 2012, 16:08
EK still flying. So is Air Arabia, and Egypt Air. Domestic ops with Syrian are also up and running, but the airport does seem a little quieter than 2 months ago.

Coming from the East, you'll probably do the SOFIA1C Star, and if it's quiet, you'll get cleared to 12miles final for the VOR DME 23L approach. Just be aware that you'll be at 10000ft at SOFIA, with only 13 track miles to the FAF for the approach.

Fly safe!!!