PDA

View Full Version : CASA medical/eyesight Requirements

invertedspin10
26th Jul 2012, 12:21
Can somebody please point me to the CASA medical requirements for commercial flying particularly the eyesight and hearing requirements. I can't find it on the website .
thanks in advance

JustJoinedToSearch
26th Jul 2012, 13:54
There was for years a very helpful 'DAME Handbook' on the website which gave reasonably clear requriements for a variety of medical issues. But alas, CASA:

The Designated Aviation Medical Examiner's (DAME) Handbook has been a very useful guide to DAMEs in the past and CASA has received compliments about its quality and its clinical value.

In the past few years, because of limited resources, the handbook has not been updated and is creating misinformation to those who refer to it.
The handbook has been taken down and will be replaced over the next 12-18 months by an updated version.

If you wait 12-18 months you can have an answer:ok:

From memory it was min 6/9 in either eye (corrected) and 6/6 overall (corrected), and if either eye was worse than 6/60 you required an ophthalmological report.

I can't tell you the colour requirements because although I can't see past my own hand, my colour perception is perfect.

As for hearing there are certain requirements to do with hearing loss at specific frequencies but as long as you can hear enough to operate safely you should be ok. A mate of mine fails one of the certain frequency tests in one ear but is able to gain Class 1 certification after an 'operational check' or something (a flight with a testing officer where he can hear through the headset well enough).

Trust my advice only as much as you would a bum on the street, it could easily be completely wrong.

Hope this helps.:ok:

invertedspin10
26th Jul 2012, 14:47
Thanks for your reply. I had seen the info about the DAME handbook but couldnt really believe that they wouldn't be clearly defined somewhere else!! How does the medical examiner know??
!
Anyway thanks a lot for your answer . If anyone else can clarify the requirements it would b great !

djpil
26th Jul 2012, 19:20
CASA Part 67 at Civil Aviation Safety Authority - 1998 CASRs - CASR Part 67 - Medical (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_91032)

I used to get some hearing tests indicating loss of hearing until one woman remarked that I had a narrow canal and .... all perfect since.

I would never do inverted spins with negative recoveries just prior to an eye test.

brissypilot
27th Jul 2012, 09:49
For anyone interested in colour vision requirements, also be sure to check out the Colour Vision Defective Pilots Association (http://www.cvdpa.com). Contains lots of information regarding colour vision requirements and the past history of successful legal battles here in Australia.